Forums Latest Members
  1. watch_the_time Oct 18, 2015

Hi All- I’m looking for some advice. I have a 3 month old GSOTM and just noticed that the minute hand has a small dent in it almost like a machine clamped it too tightly. My mind is running with theories but is there a way to tell if the watch has been opened (can't find a red dot)? I bought it new from an AD but through forums so one can never really know..

Either way, the AD warranty is stamped so can I got to Omega in 3 years from now and have them fix it or do you think I’ll run into problems because I waited towards the end of the warranty? I rather not have it opened until I need the movement serviced.

Thanks

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 18, 2015

Hey there,

Can you post a close up pic?

3. watch_the_time Oct 18, 2015

This is closest I can get. Where the 6 looks to go into the minute hand is where the dent is

IMG_1362.PNG
  4. chickenman26 Oct 18, 2015

My understanding is that Omega doesn't put paint dots on the caseback seam anymore. If the mark is that hard to find under magnification, I'd imagine it's basically invisible during normal viewing. It took you 3 months before you saw it. Not saying this is what you should do, only what I would do. Wear it as is, provided nothing else is wrong, and tell them about it when it goes in for first full service. Replacement will be included in the service cost. Knowing what I know about what can happen accidentally during a service, this would have to bug me to death before I'd risk sending it in just for that.

Stu

Edited Oct 18, 2015
  5. shutterlife Oct 18, 2015

Wow that is really hard to see, but at the same time. Knowing its there will be forever be an eyesore till its fixed, unless you can live with it for now.

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 18, 2015

Since you've noticed it, it will always draw the eye.:(

I'd get it sorted with Omega now.

7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 18, 2015

I think Omega will say that is "Within tolerance"

8. watch_the_time Oct 18, 2015

Thanks for the replies everyone. I once heard that a loupe is a dangerous tool for watch lovers and now I agree haha. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't admiring the dial. I'm on the fence with whether or not I'd like to get it handled right away especially since I haven't had a great experience with Omega in the past.

I'm leaning towards just living with it for a while but I do keep looking for it, which isn't ideal..

9. photo500 Oct 19, 2015

If it were me I'd leave it, Chickenman is right, it could come back from the service center a lot worse. Did you know the Omega service center standard is that a watch is visually assessed for cosmetic faults from a distance of 30cm without the aid of magnification.

10. watch_the_time Oct 19, 2015

Wow, I didn't know that and to be honest am floored by it. I know it's a mass produced luxury brand but seems a bit cavalier to me!

Thanks for the input I'm going to hold off on servicing.

11. italy1861 Oct 19, 2015

If you look at any watch through a loupe you'll find imperfections..

photo500 likes this.
  12. Mikey Oct 19, 2015

The more you put it down, the more you'll notice it. Enjoy your watch and ignore this small imperfection. You're better off with a minuscule imperfection rather than the condition the watch will return in if you send it off to Omega.

photo500 likes this.
  13. richard371 Oct 21, 2015

I'd leave it alone. With Omega service you may end up with dust under the crystal or back.

14. ICONO Oct 21, 2015

With all premium 'Brands'...........you are buying into the 'Brand.'

The actual product is rarely worth the price demanded.....But most customers do not care.....they believe they have bought into the "lifestyle" associated with that brand, & now belong to an 'exclusive club'

Apple is a perfect example of this 'being special' hyperbole.

Omega have long honed the art of marketing endless, ( & slightly pointless ), permutations of vintage classics.....( 50 shades of Moon )....Nothing wrong with that if you can get away with it, for long enough.......The Omega Bullhead limited edition, is an outstanding example
    As my old Chairman once said............" Those people are walking around with my money in their pockets ....now go get it "

Labouriously, the point I am making is that....because it costs a lot.....don't expect it to be perfect...it rarely is, at that relatively low 'price point'

Add another £50,000 and you get a bit closer,........... but it is still not a geometric progression

Edited Oct 21, 2015
  15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 21, 2015

I had my PLOPROF 1200 serviced over the summer, $550 they changed the hour and minute hands (not the second) and apparently changing hands is part of the service.

16. maxtor71 Oct 25, 2015

I can see it and if I were you, I'd take it back and ask for it to be fixed. That's a visible imperfection on a new product and like everyone has said, now that you know it's there, it's going to bug you every time you look at it. No product is perfect but being a premium/expensive luxury product, they have to make an effort to ensure your satisfaction. It's not about producing a 100-percent product, it's about standing behind what their brand means in the market and to paying customers.

To give you an example, I had a friend with a 1-month old Mercedes S65 and there was a nearly imperceptible rattle coming from somewhere in the car. It wasn't there more often than not but when he told them about it, they looked and looked and fixed it. He has another car from another brand so he didn't mind if this one sat for 2 weeks and, likewise, the dealership was eager to make sure that things were to his satisfaction.

Max

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Oct 25, 2015

the problem is that now that you've seen it the issue is now more within your head than in the watch. If it is bothering you it will not stop bothering you no matter what anyone says, and with that you will not enjoy what is a very expensive watch, no matter what the "tolerance" or the "brand specs" are.

I agree with others that any replacement will be bound to have further imperfections, and just sending this one out for this alone is risky as t may come back with a great minute hand...but a nick on the bracelet, or the crown or who knows what. But still, it is a problem with your head now so at least you will know this one is fixed. If you can avoid losing for the next one then send it to fix, if you're going to get it back and get that loupe again then you're just setting yourself up.

For ME, imperfections are part of what makes each way individual, and what makes this MY watch instead of just a watch. But that's just me.

18. watch_the_time Oct 25, 2015

Thanks for all the input everyone. I decided that I’m going to “let it be” and just enjoy the piece. This isn’t my first issue with Omega so it’s safe to say they’ve lost me moving forward but it is what it is. I’ve read tons of posts on other brands letting people down including Patek so it’s all a gamble.

I have another piece from Tag coming back from service so if that goes wonderfully well maybe I’ll reconsider but from what I read they’re even more careless so fingers crossed!

Thanks again for your opinions it's nice to have communities like this out there.

19. maxtor71 Oct 25, 2015

Not trying to sway you but hear me out. The watch industry is getting away with murder at the moment - many brands send back watches to customers worse than they were, and some take several months to over a year to service their watches. To me, this is unacceptable but a lot of people, my friends included, just seem to let this slide and are happy enough to even pay the exorbitant fees for service. There is no governing body in Switzerland that has customers interests in mind, so it's up to the brands themselves to get their act together, and clearly, a lot of brands could care less. I think the more leeway customers give brands, the worse it's going to get. This is one reason why I've curbed my buying.

Max

20. sarir97 Oct 25, 2015

I'm too addicted to stop buying. Instead of buying new, however, I buy resale. Defects and imperfections are built into the resale price.

Nobel Prize likes this.