Forums Latest Members

Gripe with gold Speedmaster Reduced

1. whiskeredbat Feb 3, 2020

Years ago I bought 2 Speedmaster Reduced in 18k YG and RG. Absolutely love them. Being automatic I could wear them for days without worrying about wind down. And the size was just right for my wrist.
    Over the years of use discovered that the crown was gold plated and the wear was obvious. What was Omega thinking? A watch in solid gold and a plated crown.
    Checked with Omega over the phone and was told there is no solid gold crown for the Reduced. To save a trip to the service centre to verify this could the kind folk here advise me if this is true or if there is another replacement part that will fit? Thanking you in advance.
    18k speedmaster reduced.JPG

hansmaulwurf likes this.
  2. ConElPueblo Feb 3, 2020

...I haven't come across a solid gold crown on any vintage Omega, I believe it is the common practice. After all, these aren't items that refurbished when they fail (the gaskets will wear out before the plating), but are consumables, so why should they be made of precious metals?

3. Canuck Feb 3, 2020

My reduced has a rose gold bezel and rose gold sub dials. But the crown and the pushers are YELLOW gold! Like you, I wonder why Omega couldn’t have tried harder.

4. whiskeredbat Feb 3, 2020

Thank you sir, I didn't know they can't be refurbished. Just that every time I look at the crowns it's like an itch I can't scratch. Looks like plated replacements are the option then.

5. whiskeredbat Feb 3, 2020

Dear Canuck, mine is the same - all rose gold but the crown and pushers. Looks like someone was using up the extra parts:).

6. Meme-Dweller Feb 3, 2020

Probably a cost saving measure since the crowns/pushers are supposed to be replaced at every service

Spacefruit likes this.
  7. Evitzee Feb 3, 2020

Why should they be made of precious metals? Because that is how a luxury GOLD watch is made. Cost cutting for that era would appear to be the main reason. And using YG crown and pushers on a RG case is just lazy, imo. They couldn't get by with that today.

Just wondering, does the recent gold model have a plated crown? How about the 321 platinum model?

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 3, 2020

By recent gold model are you referring to the Moonshine gold 50th? If so, yes it's solid gold:

069GVZ012069 | CROWN AU750 MSG

And the platinum 321 Speedmaster it's platinum:

069AHZ013692 | CROWN PT950-AU20

9. Evitzee Feb 3, 2020

Thanks, I didn't think Omega could use plated stuff today.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 3, 2020

But they do...in fact most crowns that Omega sells that are gold in colour are plated gold.

11. Evitzee Feb 3, 2020

Even on new watches like Constellation's? Surprising.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 3, 2020

Most gold tone crowns I buy from Omega are plated - rarely are they solid gold.

13. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Feb 3, 2020

Omega has some nerve. Next thing you know they will be using plated movement parts in their solid gold watches.

14. kkt Feb 3, 2020

What bugs me is the plated or gold filled hands on a solid gold watch. The hands do not have to be replaced at every service. So I get a lovely vintage gold watch but the hands are pitted and unattractive because they're not solid. Why?? At least in the cases I've encountered replacement (gold filled) hands are still available from Omega in the original style.