Forums Latest Members
  1. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 14, 2019

Maybe some form of a MKII dial?

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 14, 2019

I wondered that - but no evidence of removal of Mark II and the font is different,

3. Ree Oct 22, 2019

He has just posted a capture of the extract on IG. Confirmed as "Dial: Grey and orange (racing)"

4. harrymai86 Oct 22, 2019

Wow so is it a confirmed dial variation?

5. Delbok Oct 22, 2019

This dial makes me think of an early flat dial found on 2915/2998 with oval O and short indices on the minute counter with a tad of a painting job on it :)
    The extract brings definitely something new though
    Capture d’écran 2019-10-22 à 17.41.11.png

kov likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 22, 2019

It’s odd the Speedmaster font matches no others.

just saying.

MaiLollo likes this.
  7. Delbok Oct 22, 2019

Agreed it's definitely different and the p leg of the Speedmaster touching the professional is also very questionable

JimJupiter likes this.
  8. MaiLollo Oct 22, 2019

Not sure if the extract process for the Racing dials has been discussed already, but when I asked for an extract for my ex-Grey Racing earlier this year, I was told by the museum representative that they often do not have records for the special dials. He told me, however, that if I was to send pictures of the watch, they could authenticate it. I did so, and they provided me with an extract with the orange & grey dial mention. I had absolutely 0 doubts about the watch as I had acquired it from the original owner, but I knew that I "needed" the extract to corroborate what he had told me.

I didn't feel that great about the process (even if the guy I spoke to was adorable) as if you do not mention that your watch has a special dial, they wouldn't know thus would issue an extract for a regular dial.

As far as I'm concerned, extract are a must to verify movement originality to a reference, but not so much to verify a "special" dial.

All this to say, that I doubt (I could be wrong, but still...) that they have records about this watch's special dial in the museum archives.

9. Delbok Oct 22, 2019

You bring a very interesting point about the legitimacy of the extract when there's no real record behind... I am a really big supporter of the archives teamwork but I have of course big doubts about their integrity when they deal about rare specimens: I received many times declines from the EoA for some 2915 or 2998 extracts when I could see famous collectors or auction houses getting one for serial numbers so close from mines (and I am talking about the last 2 digits)

MCC, Archer, JimJupiter and 1 other person like this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 22, 2019

So, we have a non-stepped (like the mk2) flat Oval-O with short indices on minute sub-register, left-aligned 'Professional' (that looks like an after-thought, but as I said earlier, just speculation) dial that apparently has feet for an 861 (and not a 321) movement whose SN is 31.318.xxx dated to second half of '71, and a DON bezel ... WITH an extract.

Just saying.

Tonyash, JanV, Cad290 and 1 other person like this.
  11. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 22, 2019

Sounds like a WoK auctioned watch description :thumbsup:

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 23, 2019

An extract of the archives should be just that - a listing of what is on record. Anything else makes the system subject to question IMO.

Delbok, KingCrouchy, Mods and 3 others like this.
  13. BlueBoy Oct 23, 2019

::rimshot::

14. rob#1 Oct 24, 2019

Doesn’t it just need to be checked in for the new Certificate of Authenticity; in theory Omega will then state whether all the parts are correct for that particular reference... isn’t that how it’s supposed to work?