Forums Latest Members
  1. Sandy100 May 22, 2020

Hi all,

I’ve seen a Speedmaster 57 that I’d like to buy and it’ll be my first “proper” watch and looking for advice regarding grey market vs. AD

I live in Switzerland and the RRP is CHF 8250 and an AD has offered me CH 7400 whilst a grey market Trusted Seller on Chrono24 has offered CHF 6150 (new, unused with 5 yr Omega warranty stamped by his AD). I have no doubts about the authenticity of the Grey market seller and the watch.

My question is: if I chose to buy from the grey market seller and the watch has the 5yr omega warranty, what am I actually loosing out compared to buying from the AD?

Thanks in advance for you advice!

2. YY77 May 22, 2020

Nothing, grey market just means less out of your pocket as in your case it would still come from an AD originally.

lando and Sandy100 like this.
  3. alam May 22, 2020

If all the above is accurate and legit, then you are not loosing anything - I'd make sure the dealer has the watch on hand and ready to ship.

Sandy100 likes this.
  4. MSN001 May 22, 2020

Perhaps you could ask for pictures of the warranty card /picto /master Chro if it has one. Just to check who the AD is.

I got a grey market speedy a few years back and it’s stamped from some AD in Latvia. It all checks out but it’s not the same as having it stamped at the boutique down my high street. Still it makes no difference to the watch imo.

Sandy100 likes this.
  5. alam May 22, 2020

These look like two contradicting opinions...
    ..unless a warranty card bearing the stamp from a boutique has a magical element that makes them more valuable than another card stamped from one AD located in an obscure part of the world... dunno :coffee:

:)

imageWIS and Sandy100 like this.
  6. WatchCor May 22, 2020

Welcome to the forums.:thumbsup:

Agreed that there's not much actual benefit in your case.

I would still put forth the counterargument that having a solid purchasing history with your AD might help you build a good customer-AD relationship. That might be the only "upside" in purchasing from a AD in your case.

Though I am speaking as one who lives in a city with only one AD for basically all the brands. Hence I like to purchase from him to help keep the AD in business and to ease any future transactions regarding difficult to obtain pieces :cool::p

Your situation might be totally different but then again when you really look at it, the extra 1200CHF is alot of money.

Regardless of which way you go a thread can always be improved with pictures. Post'em when/if you get the watch.:)

imageWIS and Sandy100 like this.
  7. Sandy100 May 22, 2020

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice so far. I guess the resounding opinion so far is that there is no material difference except the opportunity to build a relationship with the AD. In my case, where I’m not really looking to purchase more watches in the future (but I know that could change if I “get the bug”), that’s not really worth the extra CHF 1250.

Are there any other after sales matters that I’m completely missing, which aren’t covered by the Omega warranty, that the AD offers and which the Chrono24 Trusted Seller can’t?

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 22, 2020

So if you bought the grey and you would save more than the full service price of a AD and two full service costs below a Boutique, and it’s legit. You better have that on your wrist by tomorrow.

imageWIS, Sandy100 and YY77 like this.
  9. MSN001 May 22, 2020

And there in lies the difference in price Alan! It’s a question of whether you want the retail experience of purchasing at your local for the full experience of buying a luxury item.

Sandy100 likes this.
  10. Donn Chambers May 22, 2020

Don’t know where the Grey Market dealer is located, but if he is outside of Switzerland, you should include customs duties in your calculations.

Tequila-007 and Sandy100 like this.
  11. jsducote May 22, 2020

Plenty of other threads about grey market deals to be found via searching but, for anyone who happens across this thread, be aware that all grey market dealers are not created equal. A valid manufacturer's warranty is not always included. Many offer their own warranty (for whatever that's worth) and many do not offer anything at all other than a steep discount over new. The wise buyer factors this in and puts a little something away for a rainy day.

dan7800 and Sandy100 like this.
  12. Sandy100 May 22, 2020

Thanks all for your feedback and words of advice. As a quick update: i can purchase it from an AD just across the boarder in Germany, which includes 10% discount off RRP and I can claim back the 19% German VAT. Whilst I need to pay the 7% Swiss VAT at customs, the net price is CHF 6700. So CHF 500 more than the grey market dealer but CHF 1550 less than the Omega Boutique.

13. cjoedaniel May 22, 2020

I’ll give you my two cents as my first Omega came in a big brown box delivered by a UPS man. The money I saved I figured would go into a full service if anything was amiss after the 5yr warranty. There are two dealers in my city. I had already went to one to look at the watch and so decided to have the watch sized at the other dealer to avoid any awkwardness. This other dealer gave me the third degree and kept on questioning where I got the watch from. He was so baffled that I had an Omega and it wasn’t from his store. In hindsight I will never go back there and I am confident in sizing any of my future watches on my own now.
    However I have been contemplating on a second omega and would consider buying from the other friendlier AD if the price is right. Again, grey market prices are so good that I’m not sure if it’s worth the almost $500 difference to get that AD experience. Also I would anticipate that if any issues come up during the 5yr warranty I would just deal with Omega directly. At most I think the AD will provide a 15% discount which still lower then most grey market.

Sandy100 likes this.
  14. cjoedaniel May 22, 2020

Congrats! I think you made a great choice

CleverUserName07 and Sandy100 like this.
  15. Evitzee May 22, 2020

It really depends on how much effort you want to put in to the acquisition of this piece. In your case you have a few options, but many people don't have easy access to a dealer, or one willing to offer some discount, so they go grey. That's my situation. The advantage with a dealer purchase is you get to see the watch, inspect it, wind it, check the functions, and take it with you. There are advantages and satisfaction in that route. Going grey always has a bit of risk; will the watch be exactly as described, does it work properly, is it cosmetically fine, complete package, will payment and delivery be smooth, how long will it take, etc. In your case I'd spend the extra CHF 500 and get it from an AD in Germany, it makes the most sense to me. But it's always your decision..

Edited May 22, 2020
    Sandy100 likes this.
  16. Tuna Cowboy May 22, 2020

Just my two cents, you're buying the watch not the AD so I've never had an issue buying from a reputable secondary dealer. However, if you need to play the Rolex game and build up purchase history to get a chance at buying a SS sports model at list you may consider the additional money spent worth it. One more note, AD's will sometimes discount, and it doesn't hurt to ask IMO.

Tequila-007 and Sandy100 like this.
  17. alam May 22, 2020

I heard that one before! :)

jsducote likes this.
  18. scapa May 22, 2020

In the past year I’ve picked up several watches, 2 from an AD, two from greys. From the AD I bought an IWC and an Omega, at a good discount, and with extras including an OEM straps, unlimited basic maintenance (strap changes, WR checks) and an additional 2 years of warranty over and above the factory. Very happy with both these watches, and each came in at or below what highly reputable greys were asking.

Of the GM watches, one has been great, has a valid warranty and saved me a decent amount over any AD I looked into. The second one arrived DOA after costing me nearly $500 in unauthorized taxes/duties after they shipped it to the wrong place. It is now back with the factory for a “courtesy” repair they granted providing I sent in the unstamped warranty card, which they will void and replace with a (shorter) service warranty. I’m v glad they’re fixing it at all, but it took many emails, much documentation and an expensive FedEx trip to effect. It needs a new movement and it’s gonna be months,

So, IME, you pays your money and you takes your chances. Either can go south. Your deal sounds good, bit more than ever I believe in the old adage of buying the seller. And there are often good deals and extras offered by ADs, local or otherwise. I’m happy to pay a bit more to support good ones. At a 30/40% GM discount, not so much.

19. jsducote May 23, 2020

"Good artists copy, great artists steal." ;)

(quote also stolen)

alam likes this.
  20. Fatcat May 24, 2020

You will loose the Coffee , chocolate and maybe a small knive or eventually a Nato strap offered in the AD , nothing else.