Forums Latest Members

Greeting from Canberra (Omega Geneve f300)

1. OzOmega Aug 24, 2019

Hi all Omega enthusiasts,

I have been reading the forum for a few days and decided I should join up though my watch collection is actually Seiko Dive watches not Omegas. Being an amateur astronomer I am more familiar with the Omega (NGC5139) in my avatar than Omega watches but I always loved the Seamaster my father wore (my brother inherited it and later sold it !!!)

I recently became an Omega owner/caretaker after the passing of my wife's mother. We were sorting her things when we came upon a shoebox which contained several old watches no longer working. Among the cluster of watches I found an Omega Geneve f300, a Swiss Sentinel Super Automatic and a Peerless. Apparently the watches had been in the shoebox for decades. The Peerless is engraved with 27/8/1942 on the back....

A quick visit to have a new battery installed and the f300 hummer came alive. I kept an eye on it for a couple of weeks and found that it had kept perfect time (matched internet time on my computer to the second).

I understand this is probably not a real collectible but as it had belonged to my wife's father, I am now having it serviced as its seals had deteriorated to the point it was no longer waterproof. I realise the cost of the service is likely more than the resale value of the watch but as it will never be sold I consider it a worthwhile investment.

The service by an Omega approved watchmaker (including a new plexiglass, crown, case tube, back seal and stem) should have it humming along for some time. The watch won't be ready for a few weeks but I will post some pics once I get it back.

Looking forward to many hours reading the forum,
    Cheers,
    Matt

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 24, 2019

Welcome, Matt!
    Great story and a wonderful place to start a new interest/hobby.

While most here prefer mechanical, your' quartz has special meaning and is worth the value of the memories.

We love pictures, Matt!

OzOmega likes this.
  3. rob#1 Aug 24, 2019

Welcome aboard! That’s a quality heirloom, enjoy it and wear it in good health
    I was in Canberra at the start of the year, twas like walking around in an oven at 44 degrees C :cool:

OzOmega likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2019

Thanks for a good intro, I gave you your first LIKE for that.

:D

Let's see some pics of the other watches. We're not all obsessed with Omegas you know.

OzOmega likes this.
  5. OzOmega Aug 24, 2019

Thanks for the welcomes, I too like mechanical watches, my diving watches are both mechanical and have never let me down.
    They have both been down to depths as deep as minus 45metres in the Coral Sea at least 500 times and worked flawlessly, never a drop of saline inside.

I had a bit of luck today and located the original Omega Guarantee book so can now confirm it is an Omega f300 Geneve Chronometer, MD 198.0031 with a 1260 Day/Date movement and was bought new on 2 December 1976 in Melbourne. It has a 20 micron 18ct plated case and polished s/s back. Though sold new in late 1976, the serial number 369xxxxx seems to indicate late 1973 as manufacture date.

I will be looking for a vintage gold buckle to replace the current non-Omega one, then it will be my weekend watch...

Cheers,
    Matt

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 24, 2019

Welcome Matt
    Good to see a few more Aussies here lately. Sunny Darwin for me.

Now out with those Seiko dive watches.

OzOmega likes this.
  7. OzOmega Aug 25, 2019

My workhorses, Seiko Orange Monster SKX781 and SKX011 MIS_7571.jpg

omegaswisst and MG-Speedy like this.
  8. omegaswisst Aug 25, 2019

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum.

Nice couple of divers you have there and as you have already found out those hummers are remarkably accurate.

OzOmega likes this.
  9. OzOmega Dec 8, 2019

After a long wait for parts, my 1973 Geneve f300 is back .....

Looking resplendent with its Hirsch Kansas Strap, new plexi glass, crown, stem, case tube and seals, it is ready for Sunday outings once again. MIS_7736.jpg

Tet, rob#1 and Spruce like this.