Forums Latest Members
  1. LowCountry Oct 18, 2015

I know this may be a little vague, but just curious if anyone has any idea what the service charge would be if I bought and Omega watch from the Gray market and sent it to Omega to have it serviced.

The gray market discount sure looks nice up front but curious if it's worth it in the long run. Thanks!

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 18, 2015

3. chunkythebulldog Oct 18, 2015

The service would be exactly the same no matter where you buy it

4. shutterlife Oct 18, 2015

Yup, the service charge would be the same. You just don't have the warranty, and when you factor it out, if the price of the grey market + service charge is better than the best you can get at an AD, grey market would be the way to go. In my opinion anyway.

5. 3rail Oct 18, 2015

Here is my story.

I bought a new 2015 model in June....a Seamaster 300M GMT Chronograph (Omega Seamaster 300m GMT Chronograph 212.30.44.52.01.001 Caliber 3603) from a very well know GMD. First time I ever done this, the price was $3000 below the Boutique.

Well the inevitable happened. Within 3 months it developed a problem with the date wheel and the alignment of the hour hand with relation to the GMT marker. Certainly due to no fault of mine, just one of those things.

I took it to my Boutique when I purchased my Seamaster 300M "Spectre" edition to have the tech look at it. First, they verified it was indeed an authentic Omega. Next they informed me it would cost me over $700 (full service charge) to fix my 3 month old watch. I was going to hope for a break in the price but since the watch was purchased Gray Market and not AD....if I wanted it repaired with genuine Omega parts....I had to pay full price for a complete service.

Note.....I could have sent the watch back to the GMD who gave me a "lifetime" guarantee but could not ensure me the watch would be fixed with Omega parts. I did not want a Frakenstein watch so I bit the bullet and had them send it to Omega.

Hindsight, yes I saved $3000 at the purchase and will spend $700 and change to get it fixed with genuine parts. That still keeps $2300 in my pocket. It was a little bit of an embarrassment to me to have to take the watch to them for genuine service and tell them I purchased it GM. It was also stressful when they had to "verify" it was indeed an authentic Omega. I was not too concerned over the verification part as the GMD is on well known and been in business for a long time. But, there is always that doubt in my mind.

I like money to stay at home, so to speak. However, I will think twice before making another purchase GM and not AD or Boutique. I bought my "Spectre" at the Boutique and have no regrets.

Just my two cents, certainly not an endorsement either way.

Donald

Edited Oct 18, 2015
    flw, Tritium, blufinz52 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 18, 2015

I bought my Hamilton from grey market dealer Ashford.com. Within 3 days it stopped twice. I sent it back, they confirmed the issue, then sent it to Hamilton for fixing. Took two months but didn't cost anything.

7. LowCountry Oct 18, 2015

thanks for the great feedback everyone! That was very helpful!

8. PatrickJ Dec 24, 2015

Thanks for sharing.

9. danbrew Dec 24, 2015

I was hot for a GSOTM and visited a boutique and it was listed for $12k. The same watch was listed for $7688 at a local GMD. The other dealer was, literally, ten miles down the road. I'd have a very hard time paying an extra 4312$ for the same watch. Seriously. If it needs service, it needs service. That's another $500 or so. Still $3800 ahead.

I said above "was hot" - turned out I didn't like the feel of the ceramic watch and prefer a little more heft to my watch. Still a gorgeous watch though...

I must admit that I did enjoy visiting the boutique and seeing all those watches. But it sure wasn't worth $4000. I seriously doubt that I will ever buy a high-end watch from an AD given that there are plenty of reputable GMDs out there.

10. PatrickJ Dec 24, 2015

If you buy GMD when it needs to have a service, you will be praying to god they come back and say it is genuine. That is whether your religious or not at them prices.

11. danbrew Dec 24, 2015

Not really - I have no doubt that the watches I buy are genuine. I didn't buy my watches out of the back of a van down by the river - I bought them from well-regarded and well-respected GMDs. Could it happen? Sure. Is it likely? Probably not. Suppose it did? What recourse would I have? The GMD represented them as originals so I suppose I could sue him in small claims court. Or go throw a brick through his front window. Ummm, I mean, "reverse the charge on my credit card". :) Agree 100% that there is some element of risk in a GMD purchase, but you can take steps to minimize that risk. Also, while I'd hate to "lose" money by buying a fake, I'm buying a luxury item and essentially converting that cash to something that makes me feel good. I'm not going to go broke if that luxury item turns out to be fake. I'll be pissed, sure, but I won't be living under the bridge by the river. Where I'd most likely meet some guy selling fake watches out of his van. lol.

12. PatrickJ Dec 24, 2015

Trust no one. How do you know how well respected and trusted they are? I mean that respectfully to you. Look, a trusted dealer in the midlands UK has been spotted selling frankens and redials passing them off as 100% examples. This dealer is well known been in the business over a 100 years, generations have come and gone there. When they sold me two vintages watches and members on the forum told me they where not correct the dealer gave me a swift refund. Cheeky buggers tried their luck in case I was some inexperienced member of the public and I was but people from the forum saved me wasting my money. If the can do it on vintage they can do it on GM. There are no official government bodies regulating the watch industry. Anyone with a smile a suit, bit of knowledge and nice shop front can be a trusted dealer. That is why I have a new speedy from boutique (I paid top dollar but in exchange got peace of mind), when able get new sub and I have an inexpensive vintage. Sorry but I have seen to many people on here so happy with new GD and vintage to be shot down with replies regarding redials and such. Also members spending good money on GM and then telling of stories when their watch is at Omega waiting to be verified and then serviced IF watch is legit . One poor guy had pics of his 8400 I think it was, he was trying to find out if movement was fake or not. Too much headache.

danbrew likes this.
  13. gttime Dec 24, 2015

I always say if the price is really that good then go grey. I have a couple grey market omegas although most have been through an AD.

One story that would have been brutal if it was grey.

Bought a Speedmaster 9300, would not wind on a winder, sent it in to Omega, long story short went in for service three times in one year the third time it wouldn't even pass Omega QC so they offered to replace the watch with a brand new one. That was amazing service and that watch has been 100% trouble free.

Now maybe that first service had I paid for it, would have put me under the two year warranty and all would have been fine but Omega earned a customer for life with that move.

14. PatrickJ Dec 24, 2015

There you go.

15. Huus Dec 24, 2015

All of my watches are either bought from an AD or are second hand purchases. The pre owned ones always went more or less straight to Omega/Swatch group Melbourne for a service and also to prove they are authentic, of which I was already very confident they were.
    What I have always wondered where the GM seller gets their stock from and be able to sell it at such discounted prices while still making a profit and offering their own warranty. Mainly this has kept me away from buying GM, thinking the watch could be faulty or in some other way not to be trusted or damaged.
    Regards.

danbrew and PatrickJ like this.
  16. danbrew Dec 24, 2015

Well, now, that's a great question on the AD inventory. I've always assumed (guessing) that they were buying in markets where the prices were lower - either because the manufacturer has discounted the product for that market or because they are selling volume to a wholesaler who then turns around and supplies the GMD. At the end of the day they are the same watch.

A cursory google search will show that some folks have an honest conversation about grey market watches (http://thewatchmaker.com/grey-market/) and some will use fear and uncertainty to talk you out of purchasing via the grey market (http://www.awci.com/for-consumers/black-and-grey-market-watches-are-trouble-with-a-capital-t/). There have been some good posts in this thread - yes, there is risk of a grey market purchase. But, imho, there is also significant cost savings. I get that some folks are never going to buy GM. And some will never buy AD. I've bought lots of AD watches over the years, yet I'm not sure I'll continue. I guess I'll feel this way until I get burned...

17. Huus Dec 24, 2015

Thanks for passing on the Google results, that cleared things up a bit. Still, their profit margin can't be very big. Not having a shop front, just a website, works in their financial favour also I'd imagine.

18. Huus Dec 24, 2015

The face to face contact with the sales staff, the knowledge of receiving the real deal and be able to go back to the same sales person if there is a warranty claim, and knowing the watch is in qualified hands during this claim all give peace of mind. If ever needed to resell, the watch with all the original cards is more in favour with buyers. The large discounts at the GM seller may be very tempting but I believe I'll stick with the AD.
    Regards.

19. Dombo63 Dec 25, 2015

Merry Christmas everyone. Surely, a new watch would come with pictogram and 2 year factory guarantee, whether you buy it from GMD, AD or OB. Might be something to do with EU rules but in the UK a new watch will have the full guarantee.