Grandfather's Omega Geneve Watch - Information Please

Good Afternoon All,

My grandfather passed away late last year, and left me his Omega Geneve watch, which has come to me this week.

Over the years whilst he's been in care, it's taken a slight battering.

I'm going to take it to a jewellers for a service and repair, but would like to know any information about it, as the serial number on the receipt puts the year of manufacturer in 1908 which I don't believe is correct.

It was bought from Guest & Philips in Beverley in 2006 for £4,500 at the time.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Hi Tom, Welcome!
Sorry about your Grandfather's passing.

Please show us what you can, the receipt might give a clue but the watch is definitely not a 1908!

Have a competent person unscrew the caseback and the pertinent info will be on the inside of the caseback.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-omega-posting-guide.383/
This is a general guide for what we like to see.

I believe your watch is from the early/mid 70's, possibly a hand-wound caliber 1030 movement and is designed for an integrated bracelet.
Do you have the bracelet?

Please don't wind until serviced and seek out a qualified Omega watchmaker with an Omega parts account.

Let's get this beauty fixed up and on your wrist if we can!

Hey Tom,
first of all: It’s always nice to have a heirloom to remember someone. Hope you will enjoy it and having it serviced before you wear it is certainly the right way.

@UncleBuck was quicker than me, but I second everything he wrote. If you don’t have the correct bracelet, these can be picked up on eBay occasionally and don’t cost a lot.

Are you sure the receipt or 4500£ is for this watch?

It’s good-plated by the way, not solid gold. The watchmaker will know, but just to be sure it might be a good idea to ask him explicitly not to polish it. The plating is pretty thin on these, 20 micron if I’m not mistaken, and once it’s worn/polished through it’s not an easy job to have it fixed.

Wear it in good health!

If the watchmaker is dumb enough to polish a case with 20 micron plate, that is the least of his worries....

If the watchmaker is dumb enough to polish a case with 20 micron plate, that is the least of his worries....

Agreed - but it’s not unheard of and a mistake that can’t easily be undone, better safe than sorry.

It sounds like the receipt may reference a different watch. Did you happen to get the bracelet along with the watch?

Good Afternoon,

Many thanks for all your comments.

Yes, I have got the gold bracelet along with the watch, which requires attention as well. I'll take a photo of the bracelet tonight and load up.

I'm planning on taking it to Ogden's in Harrogate for service and repair, as they have always facilitated the Omega servicing of my Omega.

I did take a photo of the receipt - attached. Not clearly identifiable what was purchased, but was in the Omega box with the watch and bracelet.

Thanks again,

The reason we are skeptical about the receipt is that 4500 GBP is more than ten times the value of that watch.

That is the credit card receipt from the point of sale terminal and not the receipt for the watch.

With a transaction date of January 2006, it is much newer than the watch you've shown.