Forums Latest Members

Grand Seiko SLGA007 thoughts?

1. gyromiterob Sep 8, 2021

Wondering if anyone else pre-ordered the SLGA007? I put a deposit on one of the 2,021 but won't make a decision until I see it in person. Was curious other folk's thoughts? Here are mine:
    - the Dial. Love the serene blue wave-effect (tho it's almost their "birch" rotated a quarter turn and painted blue?)
    - the gold used in the logo and the second hand and how it contrasts with the blue
    - the thickness at 11.8mm (I have a GS that is 13.3mm thick and it is borderline too thick)
    - the 9RA2 Spring Drive movement (my first Spring Drive and am kind of excited about it. + or - 10 seconds per MONTH is pretty amazing to me)
    Dislikes:
    - They should've ditched the "5 DAYS" on the dial - a little odd to me
    - Maybe the thickness of the 12 o'clock marker and hour hand?
    - The price, of course. $8700US. Ouch

Grand-Seiko-Minamo-SLGA007-calibre-9RA2-Spring-Drive-5-day-2.jpg Grand-Seiko-Minamo-SLGA007-calibre-9RA2-Spring-Drive-5-day-5.jpg Grand-Seiko-Minamo-SLGA007-calibre-9RA2-Spring-Drive-5-day-6.jpg
    txtchfn, JimInOz, Lurk41 and 3 others like this.
  2. zenaj Sep 8, 2021

I think it´s a beautiful watch and probably you won´t have to pay the full price. Also the 12 o´clock marker (as all the other ones) will be just fantastic in flesh and in day/sunlight ::love:: These watches are way better in reality than on any photo i´ve seen yet....

gyromiterob likes this.
  3. gyromiterob Sep 8, 2021

My understanding is that pre-orders have sold out so it's hard to get a bargain on one of these (at least new).

4. Walrus Sep 8, 2021

Gee that’s really nice. I don’t mind the 5 days or anything. It’s just a nice looking watch what a great dial. If I wanted to get picky I’d probably agree about the thickness of the 12 marker but 90% of the GS I see just nail it too me. I think you would enjoy the hec out of that for years to come

gyromiterob likes this.
  5. Rado63 Sep 8, 2021

Grand Seiko is definitely trying to distinguish themselves with their unique dials. I think the example SLGA007 is another example of this trend. I did like the SBGW264 which was a limited edition of only 120 watches. I say look at the watch when it comes in and decide if it makes you happy.

SBGW.JPG

gyromiterob and Walrus like this.
  6. gyromiterob Sep 8, 2021

Yes, that SBGW264 is amazing. That green dial with the gold is beautiful (and no unnecessary text)!

That is definitely my plan - try it on and then decide. When I purchased my other GS, they let me take it outside before I bought it to see what it was like in the sunlight. That’s what really sold me. Also, echoing what zenaj said: they really do look much better in person.

7. scapa Sep 9, 2021

That sounds like an excellent plan for a beautiful watch. I recently sold my GS 9f86 LE (couldn't get on with the quartz and colour scheme) but it was a stunner, and am definitely interested in these new releases. Your new acquisition is absolutely gorgeous, and while looks like it will need to be seen in the metal, I don't think the "3 Days" text will be particularly obtrusive unless you're looking for it. It ain't no Pelagos novel, at least.

8. gyromiterob Sep 9, 2021

Thanks for the feedback. The 9F86 is pretty cool - just about the right size/thickness for me. We'll see how it goes when I see the SLGA007 in person - expected mid-December.

9. Mediocre Sep 11, 2021

That dial is splendid! I wouldn't mind adding a manual wind GS to the box

gyromiterob likes this.
  10. Riadhk Sep 19, 2021

Looks beautiful. Technology, finish and quality exceeds anything Swiss in that price range. Should've ditched the 5 days and spring drive text on that lovely dial.

11. gyromiterob Sep 20, 2021

Agreed!

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 20, 2021

It has to have spring drive. Also from a Japanese standpoint the 5 days makes sense.

gyromiterob likes this.
  13. gyromiterob Sep 20, 2021

How so? Could you elaborate please? Just curious - thanks!

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 20, 2021

Japanese sensibilities in watches tend to emphasize the no adjustment just wear it ideals. Hence the Spring drive is in many ways the epitome of that. Or look at the gps watches that keep perfect time. Seiko magic lever in lower end modes since the late 60’s. The first solar watches etc.

The Japanese tend idealize a watch of high construction quality and set once and ignore it requirements. Hence the power reserve complication being prevalent at mid-upper/ upper end Seikos. That is why the 5 day power reserve is prominent.

as for why spring drive is on the watch… it’s a high grade movement and most non-hand wound watches that are not quartz display the movement type on them.

gyromiterob likes this.
  15. gyromiterob Sep 20, 2021

@Foo2rama Thanks so much for the explanation! I guess I didn't know or realize this. Good to know!

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. s2000_driver Oct 9, 2021

My observations from handling this piece along side the "white birch":

- The dial pattern is quite different. SGLH005 sparkles at certain angles and is extremely dynamic. SGLA007 is shiny and dynamic.
    - The text on both pieces is very muted, possibly due the dials being so dynamic and the font being small.
    - Case design and fit on the wrist is fantastic.
    - Width of the 12o clock marker and hour hand is not prominent in person. I think it is due to pictures not conveying the third dimension. The depth of the markers and hands appear "flattened" in pictures. In person, the design comes together very well and just works.

I am excited to see what GS comes up with next using Series 9 case design!!!

gyromiterob likes this.
  17. FlatTop Oct 10, 2021

I tried the silver birch on and I was amazed at how well it wore. Reading the specs you'd think it would be similar to their other Heritage collection bracelet models but I found it wore much closer to the wrist and didn't have the "bulge" of most modern GS. Really nice piece and I appreciate their efforts developing the new movements for these.

I personally found the dial of the silver birch just a bit too busy/shiny for my taste, like the texture was too heavy. The SLGA007 dial looks spot on in pictures.

Edited Oct 22, 2021
    gyromiterob likes this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 10, 2021

The case/crown/bracelet are OK. The dial is disconcerting though.
    The combination of the gold and silver isn't harmonious.
    The hands are mismatched, the hour hand should come to a nice faceted point like the other hand. It looks like they got hands from a bigger dial and chopped them off.
    The 12 markers are overpowering, rather unusual for Japanese design philosophy.
    The additional "Spring Drive" and "Five Days" text is superfluous and just adds to a crowded fussy dial look.

All of the extras just detract focus from that beautiful dial.

Where is the Japanese "simplicity"?

gyromiterob likes this.
  19. gyromiterob Oct 21, 2021

20. sleepyastronaut Oct 24, 2021

You might think you want your hour and minute hands perfectly matched, until you try to read the time with perfectly matched, immaculately black polished hands. Being able to differentiate the hands is underrated.

gyromiterob likes this.