Forums Latest Members
  1. avidmark Dec 15, 2022

Has anyone here sent their GS back to Japan for service before? Curious about your experience. Or of anyone has sent back the the US service center (which I believe is just a Seiko service center). Im looking to find out the best way to go for a full service. Send it to Japan for service and touch up of the zaratsu finish, send it to the Seiko service center in New Jersey, or have a local watchmaker do it. Any suggestions?

2. Duckie Dec 16, 2022

I've never had the occasion to send mine in yet, but where I'm located there is no choice but to send all GS watches back to the mothership, which is one of the main attractors for me anyway. Sorry I can't help much in that regard:thumbsdown:
    The Japanese are generally masters at what they do and to be frank I wouldn't ever contemplate letting someone other than the mothership polish the watch for expediency in concert with a service.
    Mine will be due for a service in a couple of years but it's in superb condition so it won't be polished. Just a movement service:thumbsup:

GrouchoM likes this.
  3. Vol375 Dec 16, 2022

I’m curious about this as well. I’ve read of some less than stellar results from the US service center. But I take those with a grain of salt. My unofficial plan is to let my spring drive run until it cants take it anymore. Then I’ll probably send it to Japan. But that is a problem for future me.

4. rspace Dec 22, 2022

Even if you sent it to the local seiko service center, I believe it will be sent to specific workshops that have the capability and tools to service them. Certain models would definitely need to be sent back to Japan. If it’s a non spring drive movement, i would send it to my local watchmaker and ask him not to touch the case. But that’s just me.

5. avidmark Dec 22, 2022

One of the reasons I'm asking is because I'd like the Zaratsu touched up properly, not just made "shiny" again. It's not a super complicated or overly special movement so I'm sure the regular Seiko service center would do afine job in that regard. I just don't know if they would put a Seiko polish on a Grand Seiko case if that makes sense.

6. Losi11 Dec 22, 2022

I sent a couple automatic Seikos to their service center in NJ some years ago. One was a Seiko 5 and the other an Actus.
    The Seiko 5 had a caliber 6309 and they returned it to me due to parts unavailability. The Actus they seemed to repair well.

They gave me a voucher for 40% off a new Seiko (with exceptions) because they couldn't fix my Seiko 5. Used it to buy a new diver.:whistling: ::facepalm2::

I had a decent experience with them but they seem to have mixed reviews. I would be cautious about having them service a Grand Seiko. Just my experience.

7. joeshoup Jan 4, 2023

vitriol likes this.
  8. joeshoup Jan 4, 2023

I recently sent them a few things. They returned the 6309 unrepaired because parts were not available. Service of the wife's quartz tank was routine. My beloved SBBW045 didn't work after they serviced it, was sent back, was returned with a crooked chapter ring, was sent back, was returned and didn't work again, was sent back a fourth time and they finally got it right. Their communication was friendly and professional and there was no fuss about correcting their mistakes, which was refreshing despite the annoyance.

9. snunez Jan 4, 2023

If you want the Zaratsu touched up, it can only be done in Japan, according to our local repair shop for Grand Seiko. I had one of mine done, and I must say I'm impressed. It was like new, sharp as could be. You'd never know it was a polished or refinished case. Not cheap though.

10. avidmark Jan 7, 2023

When did you have this done? Do you remember the cost approximately?

11. snunez Jan 7, 2023

It was 4-5 years ago and, from memory, the polishing was an extra $600 or so.

12. avidmark Jan 8, 2023

How did you get it back to Japan? Did it have to go through your local service center, or were you able to send directly to Japan?

13. snunez Jan 8, 2023

The local service centre arranged it all.

14. Danwales Feb 15, 2023

If you simply Google Lapinist Seiko it will give you the result for a chap called Kamil who does amazing things with Seiko cases. He has been featured in several online publications and does sterling work by all accounts. He is based in Poland.

15. avidmark Feb 15, 2023

I follow him on Instagram. Amazing work shown in the photos. But wasn't sure if it's actually Zaratsu or just very good polishing.

16. Walrus Feb 15, 2023

Isn’t a crooked chapter ring one way to determine it’s not a fake seiko.

Ronin, joeshoup and Dsloan like this.
  17. Ronin Feb 3, 2024

Hi. If you dont mind me asking, how much did the SBBW045 repairs cost (assuming with capacitor replacement and all) including shipping? Thanks in advance.