Forums Latest Members
  1. calalum Aug 3, 2017

Was reading some interesting posts and thinking about grails. I suppose that a grail could be something that is always beyond our reach, or it could be (and for me probably is) something we desire, crave, wish for, dream about, make sacrifices for, and sometimes even achieve. If the former, a lot of wishful thinking and "what ifs". But what about the latter? I have definitely chased some of those grails, and for the most part have enjoyed the chase and the ownership. And yet, maybe we can have multiple grails, since it doesn't take long for me to get that inkling again to chase the next grail. Or maybe they are not true grails? Just this week I found two of my all time grails, but, sadly they are now out of reach budget wise (if they weren't I would be negotiating and not ruminating).

I know that this is all subjective. Thoughts? Comments?

Vitezi likes this.
  2. Brey17 Aug 3, 2017

The word Grail has by and large, become adulterated to mean "a watch that I really, really, really like!".

Just happy that this forum hasn't started using the phrase "I finally copped my Grail'"

3. semper_shells Aug 3, 2017

I use the term for 4 watches that I think will always be in my collection.i currently don't own any. Some are harder to reach than others but I don't think I could ever get tired of them. Most of mine are not too difficult to find but for now they represent where I want my collection to go. Currently I don't own any but am trying to get the funds to acquire them. In no particular order:

1. HEUER BUNDESWEHR 3H
    2. AP Royal Oak in steel
    3. Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711
    4. Seamaster 300 MC blue

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 3, 2017

A watch you have to hunt or earn. Requires work to get of some form, singular.

5. SeanO Aug 4, 2017

Perhaps whatever is considered to be the finest "type" of watch in any particular category.

For example if you're into the 20's and 30's it might be a perfect/excellent Movado Polyplan or Hamilton Rectangular.

If it's the 50's maybe the Speedy/Railmaster/Seamaster combo.

But it should be whatever floats your boat, not what somebody else reckons is the greatest.

6. mikechi22 Aug 4, 2017

Yes, I think this goes back to the religious and literary roots of the concept. This is an object that was so singular, so special that a person would make the most incredible sacrifice to obtain. The unfortunate part of the grail metaphor is that no one was ever able to actually find it. Harrumph. Maybe we should call our quests "true crosses"! Lots of medieval knights went out on that quest and came back with something!

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  7. WatchVaultNYC Aug 4, 2017

Yes! Grail means hardship, whether from having to save up on it or to spend time hunting.

mr_yossarian and Foo2rama like this.