Forums Latest Members

Got a rare Zenith 120T Extra RR. PICT-HEAVY

1. kanikune Jan 6, 2016

I got this watch by accident. I was buying a "regular" handwind Zenith but it revealed a surprise. I got lucky, because of the super tight caseback. This was definitely the tightest caseback I have ever opened and it has kept other owners away.
    However, the movement looks untouched, dial & hands too. I bet this has never been serviced.

I service watches but I think I let this one alone. Whoever gets this, probably values more the collector aspect of this.
    I would like to hear your input, what is the rarity of this piece? I have a ballpark figure of the value of this in my head, but I welcome any input :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sneer, Bill Sohne, Skrotis and 4 others like this.
  2. nicolas07 Jan 11, 2016

Nice condition indeed!
    not sure about its rarity but a nice piece for sure ☺

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 11, 2016

According to Rossler they made 18,000 of these movements between 1961 and 1963 so it is not particularly rare. It is interesting that the movement is marked as "Adjusted" but there is no evidence of it being chronometre rated - I know Zenith didn't submit many examples for testing - but it is a three hand Zenith without the cult status of some of their examples.

It is in very good shape though (other than the engraving) and personally, I might go to £500/€700/$750 if I wanted it for my collection (the $ figure is taking into account the VAT I would have to pay) Having said that, I am not in the market for one of these but the only true way of finding its value would be to enter it into an auction - either eBay or a real auction house.

sneer likes this.
  4. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 11, 2016

Found the version of the 120T interesting, and came over some information after some searching.
    The Extra RR models seems to be relative rare within the 120T production. Total production of 120T was, as stated above, reported as 18.000. However the Extra RR marking signifies special adjustments. From a Finish site (Google translated):
    "Extra RR (= Railroad) Canadian railways (Canadian Pacific Railway) special edition, which was according to the customer's requirements tested and adjusted in 6 positions".
    This, I assume, is fully in line with chronometer specifications of the days, or perhaps even tighter!
    You can also find Zenith pocket watches with the same "Extra R.R." markings on the movement.
    :thumbsup:

5. Josh36912 Jan 11, 2016

The condition of that movement is incredible [emoji15].

Great buy!

6. Interstatetime Jan 11, 2016

As has been said, value is difficult. Because it is marked RR only on the movement, some collectors will not give it any extra attention. I love the piece. Probably the only way to know its value is to auction it off.

JOHNCOTE

7. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 12, 2016

Are there caliber 120T examples out there with RR markings on the dial/case?

Interstatetime likes this.
  8. Interstatetime Jan 12, 2016

Not that I know of. My implication was that there are collectors out there who like RR associated watches. Omega, Ball, Elgin, Bulova just to mention a few made wrist watches which are obvious from the outside. This one is sort of a stealth RR watch.

JohnCote

Northernman likes this.
  9. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 12, 2016

IMO that makes it even cooler..... :)

10. kanikune Jan 12, 2016

Northernman likes this.
  11. kanikune Jan 12, 2016

Northernman likes this.
  12. kanikune Jan 23, 2016

I'm getting ready to auction this watch. What would be the best channel to do so? Ebay?

13. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 23, 2016

If you make a kind request to one of the Mod´s perhaps they will let you list it here on OF?
    eBay is also an alternative, but fees and scammers are rampant.