Forums Latest Members

Good quality, not prohibitively expensive demagnetiser?

1. Neeb Aug 15, 2022

I think I’ve managed to magnetise one of my watches. It suddenly went from about minus 10s a day to plus 90 and slightly deflects a compass needle. I suspect I did it with a pair of tweezers that I now notice are also magnetised, as is my case opening tool…

I bought one of those really cheap blue demagnetisers on Amazon but after a few experiments with tweezers and other magnetised objects I’m not comfortable putting any of my watches anywhere near it! It seems to work rather intermittently and never entirely reliably (I’m using the 4s on, then gradually lifting technique). It buzzes loudly, strongly attracts metal objects (so that gradually lifting them off is impossible), and gets very hot..

Is there a reliable and easy to use demagnetiser (I hesitate to say “foolproof”..) that isn’t vastly expensive?

My other option is to take my watch as well as a bag of other magnetised objects to a local watchmaker, but I suspect he might raise his eyebrows at the latter…

thelinendial likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 15, 2022

I don't know what "vastly expensive" means, so I'll just tell you what I use:

Vigor Demagnetizer (jewelerssupplies.com)

As watchmaking tools go, this is far from being vastly expensive, but for your situation I have no idea. Pretty much anything is going to be much more expensive than the cheap blue things are...

Pun likes this.
  3. sheepdoll Aug 15, 2022

My demagnitiser is really old. Been using it a lot lately. Especially when sorting parts.

-j

IMG_3350.png

4. Dan S Aug 15, 2022

The cheap blue Chinese demagnetizers work just fine for me on the rare occasion I have a magnetized watch. It's not worth buying something expensive given how infrequently I need to use it,

KLXN, thelinendial and marco like this.
  5. Neeb Aug 15, 2022

I wonder if my particular cheap blue Chinese device is a duff example. I agree that magnetisation seems to be a rare occurrence (this is the first time I've had a magnetised watch AFAIK), but now that I've found out that my tweezers and case opener are magnetised I'm scared to use them!

6. sheepdoll Aug 15, 2022

When I am working with microelectronics, I find my tweezers magnetized a lot. Probably why they make carbon fiber tweezers. Low voltage DC can easily magnetize things.

What one really has to watch out for (no pun intended.) are the case closer buttons on cell phone cases and purses. A few weeks ago dad set his phone down next to the box of goat chronograph parts on my desk and made a mess. (looks like the balance survived.) I have to keep my phone on the other side of the desk. The old pre chip credit cards and hotels keys can be subject to these magnetic catches.

One of my flashlights has a magnetic ring on it, which is useful for finding lost parts, which of course then need to be demagnetized.

There is an apocryphal story about the AC/DC wars between Tesla and Edison. Edison wired an upscale community with electric lighting. At the time women wore steel boned corsets. This material is much like watch springs. (Whale bone was worn 100 years earlier in the 18th century and remained in use for the front or busk closing, although the plastics used to make combs was used in the later half.)
    Soon it became apparent that these society ladies seemed to have magnetic personalities. Small pins and other small iron objects were sticking to them. One fashion book implies this was a reason women stopped wearing corsets, they were afraid of being electrocuted!

-j

Neeb likes this.
  7. SkunkPrince Aug 15, 2022

Neeb likes this.
  8. Evitzee Aug 15, 2022

I use one of these, too. Very powerful demagnetiser. I bought one of those cheap blue ones for $12 and it didn't work at all.

marco and Neeb like this.
  9. Neeb Aug 15, 2022

Worth a punt at that price before shelling out for a £200 Elma.. I'll give it a go I think.

10. jsducote Aug 16, 2022

This description makes me think that your particular cheapo blue is bad, which is not to say that they all are.

11. mcgyver Aug 25, 2022

If you know a litte about electronics - you can easily build one! (or even use the cheap chinese cra........ones for parts)
    Here is a page that describes the basics.
    A coil and a capacitor forms a LC-circuit and - Viola, you have a automatic demagnetizer and do not need to slowly pull the part away etc to get things to work!

Here is one I built years ago.
    DeMag1.jpg

Edited Aug 25, 2022
  12. Neeb Aug 25, 2022

Nice! If I'd had the knowledge and the time I'd have done that.

In the end I just bought one of the Elma ones. It works and provides peace of mind, and although not cheap it's less than I've spent on a bracelet, more than once..

Cdnwatchmaker, sheepdoll and mcgyver like this.
  13. Cdnwatchmaker Sep 13, 2022

Two of the things I work against in my shop the most is magnetism and dust. I also use an Elma and Bergeon demagnetizer, mop several times a week and need a new air filter for the shop very soon. Dust is one thing, but having to eliminate as mush dust as possible is a working progress also.

14. Pvt-Public Nov 2, 2022

Sorry folks, but I have to ask. Can something like this be used for watches and parts?
    32D76B24-5EB4-4A64-886B-482468205E09.jpeg

15. speedb Nov 21, 2022

The cheapest way about this would be an old CRT screen with a degaussing coil

16. redpcar Nov 21, 2022

I don't even see CRT's in the Salvation Army anymore.

17. speedb Nov 21, 2022

Funny that, I don't see too many demagnetising tools at opportunity shops either...

redpcar likes this.
  18. Pvt-Public Nov 22, 2022

I don't think the Salvation Army will even take CRT screen TV's any more. Last time I tried (several years ago) they told me they only want flat screens and only if it has the remote. Tried to give them a coffee table and other furniture, sure they had a couple scratches and dents SA didn't want them either. I guess beggar can be choosers.

19. Wryfox Nov 22, 2022

Search for this on Amazon, several brands carry it. Cheap and works perfect.
    Screenshot 2022-11-22 114413.jpg

20. redpcar Nov 22, 2022

Salvation Army and Goodwill are picky about electronics and furniture. Big and bulky = floor space. Old TVs? They have nicer TVs on the floor for $10 than I have at my house.:eek: