Forums Latest Members
  1. Otee453 Feb 15, 2019

Im not in the immediate market, but I'd like to start learning about the Speedmaster world and maybe consider it for as a Xmas purchase later in the year for myself.

What would be a good first Speedmaster?
    What are some of the significant variations out there? I'm not into vintage, but I do like some of these retro/vintage modern watch thing going on (Tudor Black Bay=vintage Rolex & new Seamaster 300). I prefer SS bracelets over straps.

Not too expensive ($2k or less, preowned).

Thanks in advance

2. Otee453 Feb 15, 2019

Wow. looking at these watches, it seems asking about Speedmasters is like asking how many stars are in the sky!

3. OMEGuy Feb 15, 2019

A good first Speedmaster would be a good Speedmaster.

Are you looking for the classic manually wound Speedmaster Professional or an automatic watch?

Your budget of $2k or less might be insufficient to buy a watch for Xmas later in the year, when we're talking about 2019.

4. rcs914 Feb 15, 2019

$3K is pretty much the bare minimum these days for a Speedy Pro, whether is it used or new. One that is 15 years old and in need of a service will cost you pretty much as much as a brand new one in box from a grey market dealer.

OMEGuy likes this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 15, 2019

At that price speedmaster dates and speedmaster Mk40.

Dan S likes this.
  6. ext1 Feb 15, 2019

How about Watchco Seamaster 300? Can be had for between 2-3k, closer to 2.

7. BradleyJ. Feb 15, 2019

Where do you find any for sale?

8. ext1 Feb 15, 2019

Mostly on watchrecon (= WUS), saw maybe around two since a few months back.

9. OWa Feb 15, 2019

Are the Bond 2531.80 Seamasters alteady considered as vintage? They are around 2000, maybe less.

10. BradleyJ. Feb 15, 2019

OPs title is asking about a speedy though

11. ext1 Feb 16, 2019

Just suggested because of this

12. OWa Feb 16, 2019

It will be more than though to get a non automatic speedy for less than 2000. Thats the reason I suggested the Bond Seamaster.

ext1 likes this.
  13. BradleyJ. Feb 16, 2019

I take that as.... "heres some examples of other watches I like, what variations of the speedmaster would you recommend?"... since right before that quote he stated he wanted suggestions of speedmaster variations in bold.

14. dabbispade Feb 16, 2019

I´ve always wanted a Speedmaster and decided to go for a Speedmaster reduced model 3510.50 and give it a try, if you are looking for the speedy look but on a budget you might want to check that one out.

But I would find one that has been recently serviced.

15. ext1 Feb 16, 2019

I guess you're right. I just thought I'd give a different related recommendation because the speedy recommendations had been already given, that's all. Thought it wouldn't hurt.

BradleyJ. likes this.
  16. Otee453 Feb 16, 2019

Sounds as though I have to increase my budget if I’m to consider a Speedy. Thats not a problem as I'm also considering an Explorer II which seems to trend at $5-6k.
    I appreciate the suggestion for other watches but I stated what I like just to give people a sense of my current taste.... but I really want to learn about this Speedmaster "thing".

Im gathering that the main variations of the Speedmaster are.... Automatic, Manual wind, and the Reduced (39mm size)? Is the reason why the Speedy is so popular amongst Omega fans is because of all the variations of this style?

Thanks in advance

17. TimtimeIntl Feb 16, 2019

Most of the Speedy excitement is based around the Speedmaster Professional (moon watch). All that NASA history et al. 2019 is also the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. They have always been collected but their values have risen at a greater pace in last five years. A lot to learn and this is a great forum to peruse back discussions to learn where you want to be in the world of Speedies. Have fun!

Dan S likes this.
  18. BradleyJ. Feb 16, 2019

Heres how I look at it, others may disagree.

Theres the current speedmaster professional, it is the updated version of the original speedy. Throughout the years there have been changes with movements, materials and cosmetics such as hands and what not. If you lust after a certain movement or hand combo then you are limited to certain references. Like I said to another member... a good place to start is the current Speedy pro. It's a good representation of where the speedmaster was when you started collecting them (years down the road)

Besides the pro you got other variations, some automatic, some manual, some bigger some smaller.

You got limited editions and anniversary models. Some with exotic materials, some with lower priced stainless.

Then you have reduced models, and day date models which are smaller in size.

But like was just mentioned, most people lust over the true watch that was in the lunar programs, even if the current model is a variation of that watch and not an exact replica. If you can pony up the dough you can search out an exact spec moon watch (I'd suggest you study up first and know what to look for with vintage pieces) Theres too much to say about each reference of every speedy so the best thing for you is to narrow down the model you want and then research it in detail.