Forums Latest Members
  1. AnotherDon Sep 6, 2017

I don't post in the Vintage Forum often since I only have (previously 5) now 4 vintage Omegas. One of those watches was my square-cased Omega Cosmic Moonphase. This watch had been at the watchmaker's shop for 2 1/2 or 3 years while my watchmaker was looking for a part he needed for the movement's repair. For all I know it was vintage muffler bearings or something. I try not to play watchmaker. Dealing with mechanical stuff is not my long suit.

In the meantime, his business has really increased and he had to do some shuffling of workspaces, desks, etc. and he has managed to lose the back of my watch. He feels terrible, but that didn't locate the missing back. He contacted Omega Bienne who told him they could make a new back. He sent the watch to the them and they shipped it right back to him saying that there was nothing they could do.

So, he admits he owes me and will pay me. But my problem is not the money. The problem is finding a replacement as I really liked the look of that watch and fully intend to replace it. My current quandry is whether to seek a vintage ref. 3944 which will take a fair amount of time or to go ahead and buy a newer Museum watch from 2002 which can be found fairly easily. My inclination is the vintage.

In Memoriam...Gone, but not forgotten...

[​IMG]

PS...If any of you happen upon an Omega Cosmic Moonphase Ref 3944 for sale somewhere .just send me a message or email me.

Vitezi, Jwit and watchyouwant like this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 6, 2017

Condolences

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2017

:(

4. micampe Sep 6, 2017

oh that’s so sad

5. 2ar2c1 Sep 6, 2017

there are companies that make cases and casebacks.

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 6, 2017

Sorry to hear.
    I might know of someone who could save it in part, a watchmaker who's also a master jeweler working with precious metals. At least it they can make a case back you can wear it.

Seems to me like your watchmaker now owes you a few thousands plus the cost of repair if a repair can be found.
    Sent you a pm with details.

Edited Sep 6, 2017
    Jwit and watchyouwant like this.
  7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 6, 2017

which version do you have? pls. measure the diameter exactly. kind regards. achim

TexOmega likes this.
  8. AnotherDon Sep 7, 2017

I don't have the watch here at the house. It's still at my watchmaker. I'll give him a call and ask him to measure it as I don't remember. I think it's 32mm, but I'm not sure.

9. AnotherDon Sep 7, 2017

Yes, he readily admits that he owes me a bunch of money. Our current understanding is that he will pay me a bunch of money and then he will most likely salvage the parts...dial, hands, upper case, movement, day and month wheels, etc. After all, he is a watchmaker.

However, I will forward that info from your PM to him and let him decide if he wants to go that route. Me? I will start my search for a well maintained, previously owned ref. 3944. That should keep me out of the streets and off the bars for a while. :D