Forums Latest Members

Goldengines, Silvergines, Frankengines?

1. S.H. Feb 3, 2019

I just snagged this one, because somehow the case, dial and movement combination really speaks to me. It rarely happens, but usually, this is when I make some mistake. My brain has a "hooo, shiny! must have" moment and all caution is thrown into the wind. ::facepalm2::

Here are the listing pictures, if somebody wants some more I'll take some as soon as I have it.

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l16002.jpg
    s-l16004.jpg

How am I supposed to resist having a sharp case like this? ::love:: And this is some nice dial too. And yeah, the screws...

So, I was quite happy with myself until I realized that a "Goldengines" dial should be fitted to a 18k case, an SS case should house a "Silvergines" movement. :confused: Am I right? I'm no Longines expert...

Spruce, adi4, khmt2 and 1 other person like this.
  2. S.H. Feb 4, 2019

As I am searching for references on the Silvergines/Goldengines, I found this ad posted by @Tony C. some years back on another site. I'm copying it there for reference.

SilverAD5.jpg

3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 4, 2019

It's still a nice looking watch.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 4, 2019

Just to add to the confusion, there were different names in different markets, as well. Both Golden and Silver Arrow, for example.

[​IMG]

divetime, adi4 and S.H. like this.
  5. S.H. Feb 4, 2019

I'll ask the nice folks at Longines. If the records shows it is 100% original it will be an awesome surprise. I don't know what to think now, because if the dial was damaged and swapped, putting a Goldengines dial (rare if I believe what I have read) in a Silvergines case does not make much sense: finding a spare Silvergines dial should have been much easier. Maybe a Goldengines case could have been scrapped for gold and a Silvergines service case has been used.

But it is a nice looking package indeed :cool:

6. omegastar Feb 4, 2019

Your post reminded me that a long time ago I used to sell watches on eBay under the name « omegines » which I once saw on a watch. I regret not buying the watch...

7. S.H. Feb 14, 2019

It arrived safely, the internals are in better shape than expected (only one screw missing?!).

I just sent all the info to Longines, we'll see what comes out. I bet its recased, but the case is in good shape and the watch is overall ::love:::

DSC_6859.jpeg

DSC_6853.jpeg

Spruce, adi4, yako54 and 1 other person like this.
  8. fbf Feb 15, 2019

Very interesting. Please keep us updated.

9. S.H. Feb 22, 2019

Well, I'll be damned!

Here is what Longines says:
    So it turns out to be fully original, this is a [very] nice surprise. ::psy::I read here on the forum that they were discontinued near the end of the 50s... Under the caseback reference (9100-6) there is "1962" engraved, I thought it was the case serial not the production date. Is it common to have such a clear date stamp?

BTW I added a cool buckle (period correct?):

DSC_6863.jpeg

I will now have to find a better suited strap.

Spruce and adi4 like this.
  10. S.H. Feb 23, 2019

For reference (now that the server is upgraded with some capacity for more pictures :D), some adverts I found on the internet, all related to the ref. 9100 (Silver/Golden Arrow, Silver/Goldengines):

2zojh8h.jpg 2ih04np.jpg qxjg3p.jpg REA_longines_1958 - Copia.jpg