Forums Latest Members
  1. nightowl Oct 27, 2015

Trying to educate myself regarding gold stamps on Universals and Omegas. Thought I could ask this forum for some thoughts and advice. Omega Constellations are very well covered with articles and examples, but the Universals are quite a bit harder to find any details about.

I think the main question here is: While the Helvetica looks well defined, shouldn't there be an assay mark?

[​IMG]

Also, on a side note: This movement (in a Polerouter Genève) - does the fittings look conspicuous to anyone? I have looked at quite a few Polerouter movements (albeit not many in 18k gold) and I have never seen that sort of fitting (the rings between the movement and the case).

[​IMG]

(The outer gold stamp - where would it be on a UG?)

P1130660.JPG P1130657.JPG
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 28, 2015

Assay mark? I don't think I've ever seen one on a Swiss-cased watch. Can you show me an example?

3. nightowl Oct 28, 2015

Ah, are assay marks only for exports? I thought the Helvetica always carried an assay mark?

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 28, 2015

I'm really not sure what you mean. I've never looked for anything more than the lady or the squirrel. What additional marking is to be expected - teach me!

It is Helvetia, by the way, not Helvetica - that's a font.

x3no likes this.
  5. nightowl Oct 28, 2015

Haha, you're right. My fingers sometimes writes someone else then what I want to out of pure rebeliuousness :)

From what I understand, the stamp should have a small letter.

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/swisshallmarks.php

"The small "x" in each mark is replaced by the identifier of the assay office where the item was tested and marked; "G" for Geneva, "N" for Neuchâtel, "C" for La Chaux-de-Fonds, etc."

But I often find it difficult to see these marks, even on case backs that aren't perléed.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 28, 2015

I see! I've honestly never paid attention. I'll loupe some of mine when I get home

7. nightowl Oct 28, 2015

Sweet. Looking forward to it!