Forums Latest Members
  1. journeyforce Jan 17, 2017

Greetings

I just bought a nice 1954 Omega Seamaster 2846. This is a watch with a gold shell over a stainless steel. The watch looks good in the pics and I got it from a trusted seller who I have bought other watches from, while I await its arrival in the mail, I wanted to do some research on it. I have never had a watch with a gold shell over stainless. I am curious as to how and what this is. Is it as it says, a fully stainless steel watch with a gold shell over it (so that it will never wear away and look disgusting like a gold plated watch?) the inside case back translates to stainless steel.

In doing my comparisons, I see the only thing wrong with the watch is that it does not have the correct crown. It has a Omega OEM crown but the crown those years is like the Connie of the same era and this one looks like a later one. Still it is not horrible looking and I can get a new crown down the line if it bothers me. Am I to assume that the original crown on a gold capped watch is gold colored one?

I will post pics later as the computer I am on likes to block pics.

Thanks for your info

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 17, 2017

Looks like a redial to me.

ConElPueblo, Jwit and Vitezi like this.
  3. Edward53 Jan 17, 2017

Basically, the answer to both your questions is Yes. The "gold cap" (only over the top of the watch and not under the lugs or on the case back) should survive indefinitely if not overpolished. If the whole thing appears gold, then it is either solid gold or gold plated. The crown on a gold cap watch should be gold coloured. It will usually be gold plated rather than gold capped.

I look forward to seeing the photos when you can post them.

Jwit likes this.