Forums Latest Members

Going to Zürich, suggestions?...

1. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 26, 2017

Hi All,
    I'm going to Zürich for a few days next week. Any suggestions in the region for a watch/clock/horology enthusiast to visit? When I was in Vienna a few years ago I visited the Uhrenmuseum (clock museum), which I enjoyed quite a lot.

Edited Feb 26, 2017
  2. sxl2004 Feb 26, 2017

Bucherer

Deafboy and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  3. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 27, 2017

Are there museums or perhaps companies that we can visit in the area?

4. alam Feb 27, 2017

the IWC museum is less than an hour drive..

Deafboy likes this.
  5. calalum Feb 27, 2017

There are lots of watch stores. I don't have the name handy but there is also a vintage store which seems to have good stuff right where the river hits the lake (but check their hours of operation).

Deafboy likes this.
  6. w154 Feb 27, 2017

7. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 27, 2017

Could it be Antique Watch? It's near the lake.

8. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 27, 2017

alam likes this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 27, 2017

Beyer on the Bahnhofstrasse (the main shopping street that ends at the main train station). Their museum is superb.

Greenwich on Paradeplatz. Huge selection of vintage, though too many have been polished:

https://yellow.local.ch/en/d/Zurich...QSw4Y44GEh0w?what=Antique+clocks&where=Zürich

Gerber (mentioned above, and near Greenwich) is absurdly overpriced, but worth a visit just to see what he is offering.

Here's another, in a charming area:

http://www.uhrenatelier.ch/de/

and this one, on a bridge (nice owner; been there forever; occasional good deal):

http://www.antiquewatch.ch/english/index.shtml

and Timeless Gallery, close to the above-mentioned Beyer:

https://yellow.local.ch/en/d/Zurich/8001/Antique-clocks/Timeless-Gallery-NbFBAdx8ULRlEMjPxHqXzA?what=Antique clocks&where=Zürich

alam, Vitezi, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  10. alam Mar 4, 2017

Please come back and tell us about your trip! I just confirmed that I'll be in the Zürich neighborhood this September! I'm looking forward to a birthday celebration in the area! :)

11. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Mar 16, 2017

I finally found the time to compile some thoughts about my trip to Zürich. I was staying at the nearby, and pretty, town of Zug, about a 20 minute train ride away.

My first stop was the Antique Watch, a tiny place, and as Tony mentioned, on a bridge. There were about two dozen vintage Omegas in generally good condition. The owner is very friendly and his watches seem to be all original. Three watches caught my eye: a Connie, Seamaster and Speedy (not much of a Speedmaster fiend, but I thought OF members would like a picture). The owner seems very honest. For instance he said, without me inquiring, that the Speedmaster bezel was a replacement.

Antique 1.jpg Antique 2.jpg Antique 3.jpg

The second place I visited was Uhren Atelier. I got a bit of funny vibe there, from the owner being vague and not very customer focused, to the watches, many of those seemed like had their dial redone. Maybe my impression is unwarranted.

The next place I visited was Greenwich, near the lake. This place has thousands of vintage watches. The owner seems to have some difficulty understanding my english but he didn't mind that I take pictures of some the watches. I saw a lovely elegant vintage JLC (sorry no picture) and several Omegas, like these two shown below. The dials look really good to me, but I'm still a newbie when it comes to critically examining vintage watches. Like Tony mentioned, there is tendency at this store to polish the cases.

Greenwich 2.jpg Greenwich 1.jpg

The third store I visited was Timeless Galery. I spent a good amount of time discussing with the colorful owner., Carsten. He sells vintage watches and table clocks (Atmos, retro, etc.). Not a huge selection but he seems very knowledgeable and honest. Here is a Seamaster and Connie. Looking at the Seamaster I'm sure about the originality of the dial and hands.
    Timeless Gallery 1.jpg Timeless Gallery 2.jpg

Next: the fabulous Uhrenmuseum! It's in the basement of the Beyer watch store. Although the museum is quite small, the collection is terrific: watches, clocks and other timepieces. The museum also exhibits a bunch of other famous watches: Rolex Daytona, Edmund Hillary's watch that went up Everest, Omega Marine Chronometer, etc. the list goes on and on...

A must visit! Here are some of the timepieces that blew me away:

There were 3 George Daniels watches (of the 37 he has made in his illustrious career):
    Daniels 1.jpg Daniels 2.jpg Daniels 3.jpg

The museum also features several Bréguet timepieces. The picture shown below displays two timepieces called Pendule Sympathique that was made for the brother of Napoleon. It consists of a highly precise table clock and a removable portable watch that shown on top of the table clock. Twice a day the table clock synchronizes the pocket watch via a rod. Very clever! Bréguet 2.jpg

Another Bréguet watch. Bréguet 1.jpg

John Arnold deck (maritime) watch. He was a contemporary of Bréguet. Arnold.jpg

Here's an amazing Berthoud marine chronometer. Berthoud was a contemporary of Harrison. Marine chronometers were the most accurate clocks of the era and its cost represented about a third of the price of the ship.
    Berthould.jpg Berthould 2.jpg

Finally, I also visited the Vacheron Constantin store. I'm not much into new watches but I was curious to see the Traditionnelle because it is similar to the Grande Malte that was discussed here a few times. It's a beautiful watch, although a little big for my wrist. I was treated very well at the store and was given a beautiful box of high-end Spüngli chocolates. Terrific way to finish the day in Zürich!

VC Traditionnelle.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Hope you have enjoyed my endless series of pictures.

Cheers!
    Michel

Edited Mar 16, 2017
    kov, Tacket, Giff2577 and 9 others like this.
  12. sxl2004 Mar 16, 2017

Thanks for sharing!

Deafboy likes this.
  13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 16, 2017

Thanks for the report, Michel. It seems that you had a good time, and those George Daniels watches are spectacular!

Cheers,

Tony C.

14. alam Jul 14, 2017

note to self **follow this thread** :)