Forums Latest Members

Going out of your comfort zone

1. Walrus Dec 2, 2020

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg 4D3440C1-9B68-41C2-BB12-4A16C3F1CC66.jpeg 28175F12-0F46-42EE-8DF4-ECB1A4AA725F.jpeg 5B52692A-4D77-47C1-9AD8-307DDF714C95.jpeg I had been working on a deal for at least one vintage seiko, probably two for close to four months. The gentleman had them. Was getting one serviced, we agreed on a price and at first I didn’t mind waiting. Even a month or two, no big deal, both watches were from the 70’s it’s not like they haven’t spent time waiting themselves.

But then I’d deal with the seller going 0-dark-thirty for weeks. Then contacting me like we were best buddies, which was fine he is a nice enough guy I’ll BS with you but are we doing this watch deal or what dude. A few other vintage seikos I came across I discovered were modded. So I just decided to put all that aside and pick up this rather odd presage (color wise) during the joma shop sale. It is “limited” to 5,000 pieces, I don’t know how limited that really is but whatever. Something about the dial color just got me. Yes, it looks a bit like a halls cough drop color but I have nothing like it. I figured I’d try it, I really like vintage stuff but don’t want to pigeon hole myself. If I didn’t like it I knew I shouldn’t have much trouble selling it at least breaking even.

So yeah it’s just a seiko. Mid grade, shallow end of the pool. Certainly not something I can wear all the time but I gotta give it an A- for uniqueness in my collection. I wore it to work today which was the big test. I was concerned it might look too “flashy” but no one even mentioned it. The dial is pretty cool, the light really plays with it. I like the 38.5mm size and the case is a little thick. I notice some don’t care for the bracelet but I like it. It includes a leather strap with quick change spring bars.

I honestly can’t remember the last time I bought a new watch. I certainly wouldn’t have paid asking price for this. Joma had that big sale and I had an additional discount. Normally I would have gone for a diver or just about anything else than this but now that I have it I do like it.

damn I just realized people make posts like this for Ed whites and other rare catches not for baby blue halls mentholated seikos. Well screw it i am showing off my first “new” watch purchase in I don’t even know how many years.

Foo2rama, Keith88lx, flw and 14 others like this.
  2. pw92676 Dec 2, 2020

That is not an A -, It’s an A +. Enjoy!

noelekal and Walrus like this.
  3. Walrus Dec 2, 2020

Thanks, you don’t think it was an overly dramatic post for a simple seiko? I think I’ve scene people write shorter posts about a new IWC or other top tiers.

noelekal likes this.
  4. pw92676 Dec 2, 2020

Not overly dramatic all. The watch incited emotion, that’s what it’s all about. Posts like this make me smile, seeing how someone really put the thought into the watch. A lot less fun when someone just shows a watch and says “I bought it, added to the collection.”

FWIW I’m a fan of the dial and think it pairs nicely on that bracelet and adding a strap to change it up a bit will make a nic change. I think you will get a lot of enjoyment from it.

flw, Walrus and noelekal like this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 2, 2020

It's a new watch added to your menagerie. Let's celebrate.

I'm glad to see it. I never saw a Seiko like that.

I'd own it.

janice&fred and Walrus like this.
  6. Professor Dec 2, 2020

When I first saw the dial I didn't like it, then looked at it again 30 seconds later and I love it. I guess that is taking time to get used to something , compressed greatly.

janice&fred, Walrus and noelekal like this.
  7. pdxleaf ... Dec 2, 2020

Hah! I opened the thread and saw the picture of the box and got super excited! Good for you! The dial is mesmerizing. I can see why you like it. So much better than the baby blue you were looking at. And you have some mad photography skills. Like the wrist shot in front of the stream.

Pretty, pretty, pretty good. The world can use some cheer.

Congrats.

flw and Walrus like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 2, 2020

I believe these are part of the “Cocktail Time” line. I think its great. Enjoy.

janice&fred and pdxleaf like this.
  9. Marsimaxam Dec 2, 2020

Congratulations on your Seiko.

It's not "just" a Seiko... it's a great watch for the money.

"Many people don’t realize that Seiko has been around for over a century. In that time, Seiko has set itself apart from the Swiss watch industry by making innovation a key focal point. Moreover, Seiko has a long tradition of producing affordable timepieces. While most Swiss brands exclusively offer an expensive luxury product, Seiko offers quality mechanical watches that start at decent prices and go up to very expensive pieces from their Grand Seiko and Credor brands."

For Your Reading Pleasure...https://www.chrono24.com/magazine/what-makes-seiko-so-special-p_61359/#gref

Walrus likes this.
  10. Walrus Dec 2, 2020

Ha thanks but I gotta tell you my photo skills are point my iPhone and tap. Nothing more than that. I do a lot of hiking and I do try to find a nice background like the river you see.

11. Walrus Dec 3, 2020

Yes it has the nick name “frozen margarita” it’s number is srpe49J1. Seiko has a thing for these cocktails. Someone in design might have an issue with alcohol, I hope they get help. I know omega gets crap for LE’s but seiko is the king of LE’s.

12. janice&fred Dec 3, 2020

That model is going to end up going up in price on the second hand market. Guaranteed. The Frozen Margherita sure makes my plain jane "Blue moon" look like a bugger :D

Walrus likes this.
  13. Walrus Dec 3, 2020

Ya I really like seiko in general. When I said “just” a seiko I was referring to the particular model I have. IMO GS has some of the best looking dials ever produced. Some of them just blow me away be it either color or texture. I even watched a video about how they produce some of those dials. Such care to detail very impressive. So if I came across as slighting seiko it was not my intent. Even the regular green alpanist I have is one of my favorites. I don’t think I’ll ever own a GS but I certainly would be very pleased if I ever did.

Marsimaxam likes this.
  14. Flatfoot Dec 3, 2020

Oh, I'm a fan of the watch, and of your willingness to be pushing out of your comfort zone to find it. i can see how that dial would be mesmerizing in different sunlight conditions. Congratulations.

pw92676 and Walrus like this.
  15. TimeODanaos Dec 3, 2020

+1 all the above. How often do we really see something different and unexpected? :thumbsup:
    I have to know, though - you get Halls menthos where you are? :)

Walrus likes this.
  16. Walrus Dec 3, 2020

Ha, actually I went back and forth trying to decide if I should pull the trigger. Asked a few people what they thought, one response I got was “looks nice but I’m not sure about the halls cough drop color.” Ha ha, I haven’t seen them in a while but I remember they did have a color that looked like that.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  17. flw history nerd Dec 3, 2020

I got the "Sky Diving" model a couple of years ago as a gift from my wife. When it's not on my wrist, it sits proudly in my watch box next to my Rolex. What a terrific watch you have - thanks for sharing the excitement of your new acquisition!

Walrus likes this.
  18. Dimitris Dec 3, 2020

I think the cocktail time watches of seiko are one of the most value for money dress watches its pretty hard to get something with so stunning and unique dial for that low ! Nice watch enjoy it :D:thumbsup:!

pw92676 and Walrus like this.