Forums Latest Members
  1. mandoris Nov 6, 2018

Dear forum fellows,
    Please help me out with some advice!
    I am about to buy an everyday, easy to wear comfortable watch with blue dial and stainless steel bracelet.
    I narrowed down the list of watches to these two: the Globemaster and the Datejust 36 with smooth bezel and jubilee bracelet.
    I like the Omega because of the cool design of the dial and the strong movement (however I already have other Omegas with the 8xxx series movements - SM 300MC, AT).
    I like the Rolex because of the size. It is so light and comfortable that I feel I could forget wearing it. I also like the jubilee bracelet with the hidden clasp.
    Which one would you choose? I do not have any long term experience of wearing them.
    Thanks

DJ.jpg GM.jpg
    Edited Nov 6, 2018
  2. dinexus Nov 6, 2018

You're not likely to find a high variance of opinion around here, but I'll just say that I recently went through a similar thought process and ultimately went with the GM. Far more sophisticated movement, more interesting case shape/finishing (the bezel is much more coin-edged in person than fluted, as some suggested), and you won't find them being worn by literally every other middle manager and his/her grandfather.

mikekchc, mandoris, iatacs19 and 4 others like this.
  3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Nov 6, 2018

Rolex for me. Classic.

4. DRjre086 Nov 6, 2018

Definitely The DJ, because of the dial and bracelet. Rolex has some, if not the best blue dials IMO. The new jubilee is as comfortable as can be and dresses up and down well.

Good luck with decision, can’t go wrong with either obviously.

5. Hands90 Nov 6, 2018

I'm a Rolex fan myself but dare I say I think that the Globe Master is amazing.
    They messed up when releasing the GM, they should have made with a different bezel then later released it with this bezel.
    People see it and think it's a copy of a DateJust.

I really like this one, it's a shame no one really likes it.

6. initialjh Nov 7, 2018

it's the Rolex for me... the GM is a nice watch but having seen and played and tried at AD, just can't connect.

7. JG808 Nov 7, 2018

The blue dial DJ is a beautiful watch and love it with the smooth bezel. That would be my choice. My preference for the Globemaster is the white dial.

8. WatchVaultNYC Nov 7, 2018

I feel the Globemaster is trying to be too many things at once. DJ gets my vote on this one.. Specifically if it's a 1600!

9. JSal16 Nov 7, 2018

DJ with blue dial and fluted bezel. Bar hour markers (Not the roman numerals) on the jubilee would be my pick. It's beautiful in the metal.

Buster likes this.
  10. Longbow Nov 7, 2018

Buster, Jwit, Foo2rama and 1 other person like this.
  11. Walviskroket Nov 7, 2018

I would go for a datejust to

12. borre Nov 7, 2018

Saw the GM in real life... stunning watch!! My vote for the GM.
    The Cyclops + red date on the DJ are a turnoff for me...

gostang9 likes this.
  13. Stufflers Mom Nov 7, 2018

From these two I would be looking at the GM, however if the choice was GM v DJ41 the outcome would be different.

14. stockae92 Nov 7, 2018

I will go with the Globemaster. Its a fantastic modern watch, with a great movement.

But if you compare that with the current 2018 39mm OP, then I would take the OP. I never really enjoy the DJ for some reason. You can call it "too much Rolex", or "too plain", or "almost everybody has one"

15. llvhhui Nov 7, 2018

I'm an Omega fan but in this case I'm gonna have to go with the Datejust.

16. gostang9 Nov 7, 2018

+1 — nothing to add :thumbsup:

17. lcolors1 Nov 7, 2018

Consider looking at the Grand seiko.

Khamenman likes this.
  18. jjjones Nov 8, 2018

Go with the Datejust, it has a timeless design. Knowing Omega, they will completely redesign the Globemaster in a year or two.

19. Khamenman Nov 8, 2018

+1 for this. GS has amazing sporty dress watches like DJ or GM, with cheapet price, and arguably better polishing quality.. unless you are already dead-set for these 2

20. Df13 Nov 10, 2018

The 36mm DateJust is a classic, but the Globemaster is probably my favorite modern Omega watch, so that's a tough call. I'm personally of the opinion that a Jubilee bracelet goes best with a fluted bezel (and an Oyster with the plain bezel,) and I'm not a fan of the polished top lugs of the 6-digit DateJusts, so I'd probably go Globemaster, but it'd be a harder decision for me if this was a 5-digit or older DateJust on an Oyster bracelet.

FWIW, after I bought my 39mm Aqua Terra 2500 several years back, I actually sold my DJ 36.

The only other thing I don't love about Rolex, of which I've owned a few, is that they're really the only luxury watch that non-watch people recognize, and I prefer a more incognito watch that only strikes up conversation with other watch lovers. Granted, it's still unusual for anyone to notice a watch these days, so YMMV.

mandoris and BostonCanuck like this.