Forums Latest Members
  1. Bencherman Aug 21, 2020

upload_2020-8-21_7-50-36.png
    Edited Aug 21, 2020
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 21, 2020

I think the watch is genuine, but in dire need of a cleaning. Note the position of the regulator, slammed as far right as possible.

Price is over double what I would pay for a simple, manual wind GP.
    gatorcpa

Dan S, Bencherman and NT931 like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 21, 2020

Spruce, Bencherman and Dan S like this.
  4. Bencherman Aug 21, 2020

I hate to ask, but what is a "regulator"? Is Girard Perregaux a brand worth collecting in general, or is it more like Timex?

5. pongster Aug 21, 2020

Girard Perregaux and Timex dont play in the same league. But i like both. I have a GP sport classique and a pair of Timex marlins.

janice&fred likes this.
  6. Bencherman Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for your reply. I like the Timex Marlin too (do you also like the Orient Bambino?), but I want to purchase a "classic/name brand" for me to enjoy for around the next 10 or 20 years of my life, and eventually pass it on to one of my grandsons. I am paranoid of buying a Franken. Although I probably wouldn't be able to discern a Franken from a Genuine, I want to have the piece of mind that the watch(es) I purchase will be "nice" so one of my grandsons will be able to eventually wear it proudly (especially after I am gone).

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 21, 2020

The Regulator is the piece marked “+” and “-“.

upload_2020-8-21_10-51-54.jpeg

It slightly lengthens or shortens the hairspring to make the watch run slower or faster. When a watch is dirty or has some other problem keeping it from operating correctly, poor timing can be compensated by over adjusting the regulator to cancel out the effects of the other issues.

This is only a temporary fix and should be looked at by a competent watchmaker as soon as possible.

Gerard Perregaux was (and still is) a very fine watch company. Timex was (and still is) a mass market brand. Impossible to compare them on an equivalent basis.
    gatorcpa

janice&fred likes this.
  8. Bencherman Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for the explanation. The intricacies of these watches continue to amaze me. I'm happy to hear that GP is a good company since their watches' prices are aligned to my budget.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 21, 2020

Here is a similar watch for half the money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274463739409Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Looks original except for crown. It is very difficult to find signed GP crowns.
    gatorcpa

10. Bencherman Aug 23, 2020

Thank you for the suggestion. It looks really nice and definitely the style I am looking for. Do you think it is possible to find a similar watch in mint condition, or at this age is that no longer possible? Also, I see in the pix some spotting on the right side of the dial; is that "patina"? Are those kinds of spots or marks visible to the naked eye, or only visible with close-up photography or magnification?

11. Aquariusmatic Aug 23, 2020

It is possible but you might want to learn a bit more about watches and GP in general if you put it into the same sentence as Timex. Nothing wrong with starting from somewhere. A simple but beautiful Omega Geneve might bring you more joy for less money and can be serviced and restored more easily than most GP pieces.

janice&fred likes this.
  12. Bencherman Aug 23, 2020

I see from various charts that GP is on one of the upper tiers of watches, and I know Timex is basically a discount brand. In fact, most of the "charts" show GP and Omega on the same level (IWC, Zenith, etc). That is the level I am searching for. It seems that GP are priced quite low for the era that I am interested in ('60s - '70s), and similar Omegas (Deville, Constellations, Seamaster) seem 3 times as expensive. Frankly, I'm not so concerned about the price, I just don't want to purchase a Franken, or a watch with mismatched components.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 23, 2020

What is “mint” condition?

Understand that these are not 1¢ baseball cards that were left in the package for 50 years. They were relatively expensive items that very few people could afford to not utilize for their intended function as a precision time keeper.

Bear in mind that a good quality Swiss watch in a steel case sold in the range of $75 in the early 1950’s. With CPI inflation that would be about $750 today. Add in the fact that the Swiss Franc has appreciated over four times against the US Dollar and you are looking at a $3,000 item.

Go price a contemporary 3-hand manual Swiss watch from a comparable manufacturer and see the price points. Should be pretty close.

How many people do you know could afford to spend $3,000 on something to sit in a box and never be used? Not many.

Quit chasing unicorns.
    gatorcpa

Yaki Niku, Spruce and janice&fred like this.
  14. Bencherman Aug 23, 2020

I was merely referring to very good condition, but I guess that's subjective. Not too scratched up with original parts. You are experts, with a more "realistic" understanding of what is achievable, and what is not realistic. I am just learning. I'm a beginner. I appreciate all of the feedback many of you folks are offering. It has been very informative.

Spruce likes this.
  15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 23, 2020

You have to remember that mainsprings, crowns and crystals are equivalent to tires and windshield wipers on a car. They are designed to wear out and be replaced periodically.

Not everyone had access to OEM parts years ago (and it’s even more difficult today). That’s why for some brands, and GP is one of the tougher ones, an average quality piece likely will not be 100% original. Better quality will cost more, but it takes a lot of time to make those determinations.

My advise is to buy nothing for at least 3 months while focusing on one particular model that appeals to you. Make your knowledge an inch wide and a mile deep.

Only then will you be ready to buy. Otherwise, you may be paying a hefty “newbie tax”.
    gatorcpa

AAAKK, DaveK and janice&fred like this.
  16. Bencherman Aug 23, 2020

Thanks again. You are 100% correct, my wipers that I replace and other parts on my car are seldom OEM, and they are certainly good enough to keep my car running. And sometimes my tires also are not matched brands. This world of watches is much more intricate than used cars, for example. I appreciate members like you giving me good suggestions, knowledge and perspective into this field. I thought the shopping process for a vintage watch might be as enjoyable as the experience I had when I shopped for my new Tudor BB Chronograph. That was a cinch (I hope I didn't pay a "newbie tax" on that). I appreciate your patience with my questions (feel free to ignore me if it becomes too much).

17. janice&fred Aug 23, 2020

Have you read my replies to your PM's you sent me a few days ago? If you want a watch and not have to worry about getting a raw deal then simply pick something nice from the sales section of this site. It's not anywhere near as difficult as you're making it.

18. Bencherman Aug 23, 2020

Thank you. I keep looking in both of the Sales sections, but haven't seen the style I like. I really don't mind spending a few extra bucks for a nice watch, but this world of watches is new to me and it's like entering a candy store with so many different varieties. Some very well-meaning members have offered me great advice and suggestions, however there's so many considerations. One is the style (there are few similar styles that I like); another is the brand (I've seen charts that have Omega, Zenith, GP, IWC on the same tier), and there many unknowns in this regard, i.e., are brands such as Longines, Wittnauer, Benrus etc from the '60s considered quality???; and then there are the things that I don't know about. i.e., redials, polishing, Franken parts. I appreciate your response(s), but I am a slow and deliberate learner/shopper. I apologize in advance.

19. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Aug 23, 2020

I think you might like to have a look at vintage Hamiltons. In many respects the style and size is similar to the style of the watch you’ve pictured.

20. Bencherman Aug 23, 2020

Is vintage Hamilton considered quality? BTW, Spruce, I like the watch in your picture. And thank you.

Spruce likes this.