Forums Latest Members

Gift Recommendations for the Lady

1. 64Wing Sep 10, 2019

Appealing to the collective wisdom and good tastes of the forum!

My lovely lady has very dainty wrists. Her daily wear is...sigh...an Apple watch which I got her for Christmas a couple years ago. She loves it.

But I'm toying with the idea of getting her to appreciate more traditional watchmaking. She knows it's a keen interest of mine, and seems to tolerate it unless I get a bit fanatical. I've learned to disguise it hehe...

Anyway, a bit about her: She is a public health educator that takes very good and constant care of herself. She's type-A and assertive, a sharp dresser. She's smart and boasts a capable vocabulary. She loves elegant things, animals, being active, and keeping to a disciplined routine. She laments poor decision making, procrastination, and egos. (How she ended up with a daydreaming pilot is beyond me, but that's a win for me!)

I'm thinking it would have to be something in the 34-36mm diameter area or a small-wearing 38 but I do think that's a bit larger on her. She has a penchant for the pale pink or off-white color pallettes. From a practical standpoint I would advocate something that can be worn with anything so perhaps more subtle colors and materials would be best. Thank God she's coming out of the rose gold world of her 20s.

Certainly an automatic would be best as I'm sure she wouldn't yet be ready to commit to winding a manual watch. Plus, an exhibition case back would be a benefit so she could peer into the mechanics of the marvelous engineering behind fine watches. I don't think she'd appreciate a chronograph as it may appear too busy for her tastes, but she may not rule one out either.

Worst case scenario, she enjoys it for a while and we sell it later. But hopefully she'll bond with it the way I bond with my watches. So this is a bit of a going-out-on-a-limb idea.

Thus, I wonder what sort of suggestions you all would provide for such a piece?

Happy Tuesday to you all!

2. Evitzee Sep 10, 2019

Sounds like you have a keeper, there. From your description are you really sure she would want and wear an alternative to an Apple watch? It sounds like that fits her to a T. I would talk it over with her and see if she is amenable to something a bit more individual, she may be more comfortable with the Apple because it doesn't stand out. Good luck.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  3. 64Wing Sep 10, 2019

A good point.
    Perhaps I should start with persuading her to wear one of my smaller pieces for an evening out and see if it does anything for her.

The last thing I'd want to do is try to force any of my interests on her. She's already content to fly with me

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. 64Wing Sep 10, 2019

Side note, and on the topic of procrastination: I'm trying to be ahead of the curve on Christmas shopping lol... operative word is "trying"

5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 10, 2019

A major question is what budget are you looking at. Also, it is always recommended to take her shopping so she can see for herself what’s out there. Nothing like trying on the wrist.
    A sporty dive watch might be redundant in terms of style with the Apple watch. So maybe you’re looking for something a bit more elegant which will supplement it.
    But if in the end she prefers to use that budget for nice earrings or a hand bag or a pair of shoes.... get her what she wants. One can get magnificent cashmere sweaters for the price of some watches.

kkt, p4ul and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Sep 10, 2019

I have to agree with this, working in public health, she may want to look smart, but not flashy. Plus you may think 34-38 is an ideal size for her but if she dresses professionally, 28-33mm may be more appropriate- particularly since she has slender wrists.
    The late 60’s/early 70’s lady Seamaster’s and Connie’s came in at 28mm if you want to get her something sporty and vintage-not to mention they are dirt cheap. If you want above 30mm for vintage, then a man’s watch from the 40’s-70’s will fall into the 31-36 range.
    As you were describing her, my first thought was the midsized Rolex oyster perpetual or date-just (31mm) with white or silver dial, stainless on jubilee. Although the brand is associated with flash, the classic DJ style of watches are very elegant and understated- it sounds like that would get with her personality.

4439A1D7-574D-43DB-A7AD-4E0C27A88945.jpeg
    Plus women’s rolex’s Can be had at a fraction of men’s- women “typically” don’t care for used watches as much as they don’t care for used shoes or handbags. My lady is the exception on all counts- thrifting is a pastime- I’m lucky.:p

Oh- and you didn’t mention your price bracket.

p4ul likes this.
  7. Sidnos Sep 10, 2019

8. 64Wing Sep 10, 2019

I really like the idea of a vintage piece. Also your recommendations on sizes makes more sense than my own reasoning.

As far as price goes, I wouldn't baulk at spending what I would spend on a watch for myself. This would be on par with existing new Omega pieces. No hard numbers necessary for the right piece

Edited Sep 10, 2019
    JwRosenthal likes this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 10, 2019

Vintage pieces are very nice but need to be handled with caution. Careful applying hand creams and perfumes so they don’t get in through the crown area. Always spray the perfume on before you put on the watch.

And Tudor is a great alternative to Rolex for someone who doesn’t want the brand to be seen at work.

kkt, JwRosenthal and connieseamaster like this.
  10. 64Wing Sep 10, 2019

Not a perfume wearer (how neat is that?!) But this is an excellent point.

I have recently been growing more and more fond of Tudor. (That BB58 is really slick)

Also vintage (or vintage inspired) Longines would fit her style.

11. connieseamaster Sep 10, 2019

Longines has many options from 25mm on up. I'd also consider JLC (Reverso), a modern ladies Constellation (I'm going through a phase where I like the Manhattan case, sorry), Hamilton on the low end of the budget, or a Cartier Ballon Bleu

Syrte likes this.
  12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 10, 2019

Maybe something with a mother-of-pearl dial? My wife has a Seiko quartz w/ a MOP dial that she really loves (it was her request). It looks very nice, and it is not too big.

13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 10, 2019

Being a woman who loves perfume, I won’t call it neat. But good for you if that’s what you need.

I like the Longines Equestrian line in the vintage or classic inspired modern lines.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  14. BradleyJ. Sep 10, 2019

My wife also has pretty small wrists and was a very big fan of her apple watch but being in a professional environment she wanted less tech. I went and got her a used quartz 36mm aquaterra with a goldish silver dial "champagne" I guess you'd call it. Anyway the investment was very little for a very nice watch and if she wants to go higher end in the future this was a good stepping stone. Unfortunately since you are thinking xmas present that usually rules out used so it may not be so cost effective for you Haha (not that theres anything wrong with a quality used watch)

15. oinkitt Sep 10, 2019

Just because you are interested in something doesn't mean she will also share that passion. Be careful you are not buying her something she doesn't want. I have seen this many times in the past.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  16. 64Wing Sep 10, 2019

For whatever reason it's a rare occasion that perfume doesn't induce a headache for me.

The Longines Equestrian is a very good suggestion.

I'm compiling a spreadsheet of these responses btw

17. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 10, 2019

How about something really, really timeless: a Cartier Tank. Introduced in 1918.
    The Must variety is quartz so no hassle (and more affordable).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ssunnylee24, Evitzee and BradleyJ. like this.
  18. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Sep 10, 2019

My lovely spousal units wears an electronic thing on her wrist. It monitors a bunch of things and tells her stuff she really doesn’t need to know, often at inappropriate times.

Meanwhile, on the dresser at home, there sits the beautiful Longines dress watch I bought her. She likes it, but that electronic thing seems to get priority.

Just to warn you, it could be money wasted.

19. 64Wing Sep 10, 2019

Y'all are starting to make a compelling case for a more generic Christmas present lol...

20. BradleyJ. Sep 10, 2019

The aquaterra I bought my wife to replace the apple watch I bought my wife sits in her jewlery drawer next to the apple watch.............

kkt likes this.