Forums Latest Members

Watch for the girl in my life and bit of an introduction

1. Sidnos Jul 31, 2019

Morning/afternoon/evening all (Depending on where you're based!)

I'm very new to the forum and having lurked for some time, must admit am proceeding with a little trepidation as I've seen how some chaps/ladies get a roasting on occasion...!

That being said, I'm very keen on my watches and using this excellent and free resource to learn as much as I can on the subject and empty my bank account all at the same time! Many thanks to those who make it available to us.

I'm James btw and reside in sunny South East of the UK! Have a few vintage pieces that I grow more fond of everyday with everything I learn about them.

The reason for this first post is to firstly introduce myself a little and also enquire on thoughts of a watch for my girl for xmas, ...so i have a bit of time to hunt for the right one for this years gift rather than the last week scramble in Selfridges as is my usual tactic!

She is 30 years old and rather fashionable and quirky. She admires some of the watches I own (well the vintage Seamaster and the 168.010 gold cap constellation; less keen on the 80's Seiko 2625 :)).

Would those who can spare a moment mind sharing their thoughts on any ideas....? ideally vintage but kinda cool and girl friendly? Or perhaps examples of what watches those have got for their OHs? she can be a little clumsy (don't tell her I said so!) so anything fragile may end in tears!

Apologies if a bit vague or if in the wrong forum, but just thought id put it out there and see what others have got their significant others!

P.s. Ive offered the same/similar to what she likes of mine but she's worried about damaging crystal, scratches etc as mine are in pretty good and original condition and I look after them ...told her that all doesn't matter IMO, more important for her to wear and enjoy them!

All the best ;),

James

Edited Sep 1, 2019
    Longbow, DaveK, JesterP and 6 others like this.
  2. guaranteed.rohu Jul 31, 2019

I think anything vintage bauhaus is very likeable and I've found female friends have enjoyed this before. TBH depending on what your budget is, vintage Omega or modern Nomos / some modern longines heritage / cheaper brands like Stowa are pretty universally likeable options.

DaveK, melanieux and Sidnos like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 31, 2019

4. Sidnos Jul 31, 2019

Thanks for the response, I'll take a butcher's!

Yeh, good point... should've mentioned a budget.

Approx GBP 500 (which equates to about USD 300 or EUR 250 in the very near future ::facepalm1::
    :()

Linzer and ChrisN like this.
  5. timjohn Jul 31, 2019

Mid-size vintage men's watches are cheap for what you get. Something like this Rolex Air-King is a pretty little watch, only slightly out of your budget -- although you'll have to factor in another third for the buyer's premium and a service to replace the crystal -- and would both show that you put some effort into it and give her something that none of her friends have.
    Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 18.11.36.png

kkt, Traveler, Otterina and 1 other person like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Jul 31, 2019

I think an Airking is a little above his mark- any Rolex is for that matter in the current market. A Tudor prince on the other hand can be had for around £5-700

7. Shabbaz Jul 31, 2019

Gold(cap) or steel?
    Utility or dress?
    Diameter?
    omega or open to other brands?
    Color dial?
    Automatic or handwinding?
    Modern or vintage?

I gave my gf a speedmaster reduced. Later I bought a baltic aquascaphe for MYSELF but she took it right off my hands and gave the reduced back to me...

20190607_164451.jpg
    kkt, DaveK, wagudc and 8 others like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Jul 31, 2019

Vintage sport watches (your Omega’s despite being dressy by today’s standards were considered sport in their day) are far more robust than people give them credit. If she has a nice vintage watch, she may be more attentive to how she treats it, like when you get an expensive pair of sunglasses (they go back in the case- not on your head or back pocket).

You should let he borrow your watches for a few days and ask questions about what she likes about them and what she doesn’t- you may be surprised by her observations.

Longbow, DaveK, p4ul and 4 others like this.
  9. Jonathan40 Jul 31, 2019

I’m not saying buy from them but as your based in the UK you could have a look at the Fellows auction website, they do regular watch sales and then every 2 months or so do a total watch and watch accessories auction on a Monday or Tuesday. Lots of mid size, vintage etc so might give you a little inspiration.
    Quartz obviously a grab and go option for her but if you think she would be happy to set when required then auto and manual fit as well. You could even buy an inexpensive winder to present it in and then the auto wind/set problem goes away.

10. Sidnos Jul 31, 2019

Thanks guys, much appreciated!
    Open to all brands, personally I prefer vintage especially as a gift for her, cant see her winding though... know her too well!
    Diameter wise she wears quite (relatively) large pieces but are all modern and pretty low range fashion stuff so don't think anything massive or bulky would suit; she's very slim.
    Hmmmmm, letting her borrow mine..... hmmmm, happy for her to mark hers as much as she wishes but mine, not so sure! Its a valuable point though and I see what you mean, gives me some idea of her likes/dislikes.
    I do agree that she may well treat it better as a nice vintage piece, that's kinda the intention if honest, but equally don't want her treating it like the crown jewels and never wearing it which is her fear at present (I know, these aren't Patek prices but in her head she see's a 500 quid watch as a holiday :D, Im taking her away too just in case anyone wondered!).
    Love that Baltic btw, not surprised she nicked it, id do the same :whistling:

11. Sidnos Jul 31, 2019

Hadnt thought of the winder option, this and other responses are all excellent examples of why I asked! Thanks.
    Ive had a quick look at the fellows site and the Cheffins... this could get dangerous!

DaveK likes this.
  12. Lucasssssss Jul 31, 2019

I think the 30mm Rolex 'boys' watches from the 1940-60s are really cool, and you can definitely find them for below the £500 mark. A good variety there too.

Sidnos and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. SG90 Jul 31, 2019

Welcome James @Sidnos !

My GF doesn't like to wear a watch everyday, so I had to get her a quartz model. I think it was around £500 and her choice was to have a Shinola 'Birdy'.
    People tend to either love or hate Shinola, I think the company has the right idea, bringing manufacturing back to Detroit, and stylish modern designs, it just needs to start making in-house non quartz movements.
    shinola.jpg
    If your GF wants a manual watch, then I love the Nomos Duo Tangente for a girl, it is almost double your budget new, but you might be able to find one on ebay for less:

120_1560780366.jpg

melanieux and Sidnos like this.
  14. Mr.Cairo Jul 31, 2019

This.

In the years of getting watches for Mrs. Cairo (an avid watch lover now herself) nothing has been more valuable than her own input. Something we may not glance at twice may be the ultimate grail for her. Try as much as possible to find out what she likes, and while that may be hard if you want to keep the gift a secret, in the end it's the easiest way to get the right watch for her.

15. JwRosenthal Jul 31, 2019

My lady wasn't a watch person before she met me, she had a little quartz thing and never really cared for it. After getting her several vintage pieces (nothing too expensive- 50's-60's Lady Seamasters, a few cocktail watches, a Gruen bumper) and her raiding my vintage stash of lesser worn watches (I am never gonna see my '66 Tudor Prince again)she has become a connoisseur and now knows what she likes. She doesn't mind manual vs. auto as she rotates daily so has to wind it up anyway. She loves a date, but not a day/date. Date must be quickset (12/9/12 is acceptable), but slow date set is a no-go for her. She prefers 28-32 for dressy (unless formal and she'll wear a cocktail watch- her white gold '58 Omega is her preferred for that) but does like sport watches up to 40mm (yes, you can borrow my GMT, but it goes back into my watch box!).
    The fun here is that she has bought into the hobby- she now knows what she likes and that makes it much easier for me to hunt for her.

One of her favorites is a chrome plated Westclox that we found in a junk shop for $10 (I negotiated it down to $5). She wears that on multiple fun colored Nato straps that coordinate with her outfits. She does't care what a watch costs- if she likes it, she likes it...the way we all should be.

Molko, DaveK, nzshadow and 2 others like this.
  16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 31, 2019

If she likes sports watches a vintage seiko diver will be sturdy enough, good quality, and within budget.

For other types of watches, if she drops things or bangs her wrist into stuff- then vintage may not be a good idea.
    Dropping a vintage watch on teh bathroom floor I would think is the kiss of death.
    I have dropped watches on carpeting once or twice (don't ask me how I managed to do that because I'm super careful) - and they survived despite not having shock protection. That wasn't from a big height as I was sitting at a desk trying to change a strap or stuff like that.

PS -Mondaine is a very good idea. As for buying a used Nomos, ladies are usually not into buying used stuff.
    If she is, there are quartz Hermes watches being sold out of Japan for about 500 dollars a piece on Ebay. Depends on the size - she needs to go in a store to try on the size she prefers.
    28mm vs 32mm makes a HUGE difference.
    And if you buy out of Japan a Hermès watch, make sure the seller has a top 100% rating.

kkt, ChrisN, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 31, 2019

Please include her in the decision or plan on returning whatever you buy her. 33 years of marriage have taught me well.

StefLB, DaveK, ICONO and 9 others like this.
  18. Sidnos Jul 31, 2019

Great suggestions all, the Boys Rolex is inspired but perhaps more for me than her! Or we can share (that's never gonna happen!!!)
    I agree despite, that losing the surprise element, I think better to consult her in the decision making process or at least surreptitiously get the low down on her thoughts.
    As mentioned above the watches she likes I often wouldn't look twice at, but I think my enthusiasm is wearing off on her as she notices new additions to the collection very quickly where once they went under the radar, this new development comes with its own particular challenges!
    She's ok with "second hand" as she calls vintage and personally I like the romance of a previously worn piece rather than box fresh and, being the skinflint I am, often better on the pocket.
    As much as I would like her to take up the hobby I almost equally like having this to myself! At least for the time being ;-)
    Thanks again all and for making my first post a very positive, informative, not to mention friendly experience!

melo_time likes this.
  19. KingCrouchy Jul 31, 2019

Maybe also consider vintage Womans Watches, is she doesn't mind smaller watches. Here some from Omega. If she likes dressier pieces a Constellation is a great choice. My Girlfriend often steals mine.::facepalm1::

425af8c44685f566402e45f75d30e889.jpg 6684c293-e15e-41fb-b570-e88e314ff181.jpg 87305778-aa09-406d-a38a-5f9178699ce4.jpg IMG_20190710_181150.jpg
    DaveK, monchichi55, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  20. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 31, 2019

In the Nomos style there is also the Junghans watches.
    IIRC they come in 32mm and 38mm and quartz and manual wind.

563DC5BE-7EAE-48EB-AA0C-C8ED24D9934D.png 586476A7-7C04-4325-A101-01894904C8C3.png

And I wouldn’t lend my gold cap Connie to anyone either - but pictures on here would be nice......

connieseamaster likes this.