Forums Latest Members
  1. Professor Aug 29, 2018

Just won a beautiful excellent condition Elgin self winder with Germany marking on the bottom of the dial.
    Heres a seller's image
    elgin 6.jpg

Probably not a valuable collectable but considering the condition and the fact that the Admiral USA band is probably worth about half the amount I bid I couldn't pass it up.

Internet information on later production Elgin watches is a bit sketchy. Can't tell if this was something assembled by Elgin or if a German company paid for the right to the brand name.
    Styling looks classic enough, possibly late 60's? If early 70's or later its not a US made Elgin. In which case I doubt it has much value other than its intrinsic value as a wearable time piece.
    If so it will at least fit in with my 80's Bulova.

PS
    The band despite its rectangular panels is the old style scissors expansion band.
    elgin 2.jpg

time flies, Fritz and Vitezi like this.
  2. guaranteed.rohu Aug 29, 2018

Congrats - condition looks pretty mint! hopefully it was a good price.

Professor likes this.
  3. AveConscientia Aug 29, 2018

image.jpg
    This Gruen of mine is from the early 60s and is made in Germany when Gruen was previously only made in the USA

Vitezi and Professor like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 29, 2018

My guess is 1968 or later with an AS movement.

Professor likes this.
  5. Professor Aug 30, 2018

Very similar in appearance except for the shape of the lugs.
    I wonder if these were made by the same German company, or at least the major components, under contract to Gruen and Elgin?

I've had an Elgin of this general styling in the back of my mind for years. I'm sure I saw one exactly like this long ago and the image stuck in my mind.

The older Elgin self winders had a well deserved rep for innovation as well as quality, the movements being made in the USA.

I missed out on one of the older watches that even had its original box and owners manual in excellent condition. I meant to slide in near the close of bidding but over slept after spending the night caring for a sick dog. Miss Anna Lee had gotten something stuck in her throat and was having trouble breathing but I got her straightened out by removing her collar and massaging her neck.
    Anyway that older Elgin was also in great condition with fancy lugs and nice gold band that showed a bit of wear. It went for near twice what I paid for this one and I'd have gone a bit higher.

Edited Aug 30, 2018