Forums Latest Members

Genuineness of a Tudor Sub 79090

1. la_lusigne Jun 6, 2022

Hello all :)

I came across a Tudor sub ref.79090 and I would like to have other pairs of eyes to look at it and either confirm or correct my assessment on it. I am not an expert on these but here is my opinion after checking older threads on various forums.

The photos aren't the sharpest but they are the only ones available from the seller.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg
    6.jpg

The watch looks genuine to me : dial, hands, case, bezel don't ring an alarm. The movement pic is very blurry and the ETA 2824 is easily obtainable by forger so this part doesn't help me.

What bugs me is the serial number which should start by a letter B but I have seen examples without the letter.

So please feel free to tell me that I am completely wrong or not : either way I'll learn more about these :thumbsup:

2. Dan S Jun 6, 2022

Looks to be worth going to see the watch in-person, but I don't know if I'd buy the watch based on those photos.

watch3s likes this.
  3. fiberguy Jun 6, 2022

I dont think one can make a reasonable assessment based on those photos.

4. la_lusigne Jun 6, 2022

I know the pictures are pretty poor unfortunately :(
    The seller seems of old age and lives abroad so I don’t think I can get better

5. fiberguy Jun 6, 2022

Looks like Tudor did not start preceding the serial number with a B until after 1990 - the serial number as best I can make out puts it in the early 60's
    https://watchattitude.com/tudor-serial-numbers-production-dates/

That watch could very well be legit, but even from the pics it looks like its "been around the block".

6. Dan S Jun 6, 2022

I believe the ref 79090 started in the late 80s or 90s. It's possible that there might be a faint "B" in the serial number. The photos are just unfortunate.

7. CPRwatch Jun 6, 2022

I did read somewhere once that Tudor started using prefix letters beginning with the letter B in 1990 , so the watch could well be a 79090 from 1989 & wouldn’t have had the B . But the pictures are really poor for anyone to make a fair assessment of the watch, and the bracelet looks pretty stretched from what I can see .

Benbradstock, la_lusigne and Dan S like this.
  8. la_lusigne Jun 6, 2022

So it would be a bit of a gamble buying it based on these photos. I will try and ask for additional pictures but not sure if this will be successful. Anyhow, thanks for all the feedbacks as usual ;)
    I’ll get back to you if I get any news :whistling:

Benbradstock likes this.
  9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jun 6, 2022

What puzzles me, that the writing outside the back is extrem blurry and there is no chance to evaluate, if it is laser engraved. But the close up pictures between the lugs are sharp. Would have thought the other way around....

Mark020 likes this.
  10. la_lusigne Jun 7, 2022

Just to give a final update: i passed on that one.
    The watch was on auction and sold for ~3700E. Add to that 20% of customs for me that would be a final price of ~4400E
    Too much gamble for me :rolleyes:

watch3s and thelinendial like this.
  11. speedyben Jun 7, 2022

Would you mind sharing the auction site?

FWIW I think it was genuine but it's a big risk to take

12. la_lusigne Jun 7, 2022

It was on the Japanese yahoo auction :thumbsup:

13. KLXN Jun 7, 2022

In the past, I looked there for Tudors multiple times. From my experience, there were always few offers of fake Tudors on auctions. Often with similar techniques of hiding obvious tells (blurry photos, only one bad photo of the dial, etc.).
    I agree that in these photos nothing wrong is visible, but as you said the risk is significant with this offer, especially if you are buying from abroad.

14. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jun 7, 2022

Indeed. Hardest to capture are the best pix.

Frankly put: it feels legit - as in I don't see wrong things - but the (deliberately (?)) vague pics do no give me comfort

15. watch3s Jun 7, 2022

glad to see you passed, its 2022, pictures that bad is very sketchy and enough to deter me.