Forums Latest Members
  1. sportello Mar 18, 2023

Hi, I'm interested in buying a Geneve Dynamic, and I've been reading up trying to learn how to detect a good specimen to purchase online.

I've read the "Omega Genève Dynamic – Innovation in Watch Design" pdf and other threads from this forum and Watchuseek. I wanted to test my grading with other members of the forum and see if I have the right eye for this or if I need to be patient and take more time.

Here are photos of available Geneve Dynamics and whether I think they have been re-dialed or not:

s-l1600.jpg

^ Dial looks repainted and the seconds hand is the wrong color for this dial

urg313cd65oa1.jpg

Right is badly redialed with wrong black coloring in inner ring. Left has riveted markers and date, which doesn't match any reference I've seen. Could be real but since one is redialed the other is suspect.

s-l1600.png
    Omega logo looks too thick and is suspect, but rest of the dial looks correct.

better-sl1600.jpg

Looks legit

sideways.jpg

The inner ring lines seem much less thicker than the outer ring, but other than this the dial looks okay... I would say painted over...

rivet.jpg
    Has a Cal. 752 inside (movement pic was included), these did come with a rivetted marker option and with a day date complication, but the dial did not come with a blue division between the day and date, so this raises suspicion.

legit.jpg

Looks legit

redial.jpg
    Omega logo looks like a redial

legiyy.jpg
    Looks legit

How did I do? Thanks for playing, throw your own up and we can discuss them.

kohster likes this.
  2. kohster Mar 19, 2023

I think your second to last one with the "VEN 3" for day/date actually looks pretty legit, but I'm nowhere near an authority.

3. Ravineman Mar 19, 2023

Interesting watches. Love the dials !
    Thanks for nothing lol

4. masteroftime Mar 19, 2023

Overall, good work, but you might have to give a few of these a more closer look. All of these look like genuine dials...some of them are in obviously much worse condition than others. Most of these photos aren't that great, but I don't think there are any obvious redials here.

A few things to note:

1 - Dial seems fine, but could have had new lume added. Completely wrong hands. The second hand could be original and painted, but the minute/hour hands being wrong aren't a good sign.
    2 - Both look right. I haven't seen the shade of blue on the one on the left before, but it wouldn't surprise me if it existed. That one is also notably a series II dynamic and that raised track is much more common in those models. The gold capped one also looks fine and correct, but the dial variant is an inverse pattern to the more common design.
    3 - Looks completely fine. Might have new or NOS hands.
    4 - Correct dial, but awful condition. Second hand is wrong.
    5 - no apparent issues
    6 - Cal. 752 is the wrong movement for that dial. However, the case looks correct. It looks like someone transplanted a genuine Series II dynamic dial onto a 752 in a 166.079 case (series I dynamic). Also has the wrong crown.
    7 - looks correct, but the dial is in bad shape. Bad lighting, color correction, or patina has also darkened the dial.
    8 - Poor shape but looks correct. Font looks a little wonky, but I think that is just due to the photo.
    9 - Looks good.

Edited Mar 19, 2023
  5. Davidt Mar 19, 2023

I’ve only glanced at these but you’re calling redial too readily. The amount of dial variation during this period was huge and often in short runs so although there will be common dials types, don’t assume a redial simply because it’s a configuration you haven’t come across before.

6. kohster Mar 19, 2023

#6 - I thought Cal 752 would match a day-date reference, since that's what I have, but I'm not sure if all day-date models had 752.

7. masteroftime Mar 19, 2023

It would for a series I dynamic, but not for a series II. They have different references and the dials are a little different. Notably the first generation has a long rectangular box for the day-date window, while the second generation is split into two smaller windows. The first generation should have a 752, while the second should have a 1022 (?) I believe.

sportello, bikerfox and kohster like this.
  8. sportello Mar 20, 2023

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'm glad I am at least not being too forgiving! I'll take this advice to heart.

The only thing I wonder is for #8 how can the "Geneve" font look so much different than every other dial and it's legit? All the letters look taller and the "e" have so much more space in the top loop than every other dial I've seen.

9. sportello Mar 20, 2023

Makes sense. Good to know that dial variation was greater than I previously thought. Thanks

10. masteroftime Mar 20, 2023

I think it's a variation in that dial style. As @Davidt said, the variation during this period was huge. Here is a similar one that I had:

IMG_5251.jpg

sportello likes this.
  11. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 20, 2023

sportello and masteroftime like this.