Forums Latest Members
  1. NickM79 Oct 24, 2016

I've always wanted to own an Omega and out of the blue I've just been given a Geneve Dynamic that belonged to my uncle. It's working perfectly but there are a couple of things I'd like to fix; new glass, restore strap etc, but one thing I've noticed (I'm no expert) is the second hand is thin silver where almost all examples I've seen have a thicker orange or blue one. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    OmegaFL likes this.
  2. Canuck Oct 24, 2016

Welcome,

The steel examples of this style of Dynamic that I have seen generally have a powder blue seconds hand. I think you are correct that this hand is not original. As to restoring the strap? Exactly how do you propose doing that? I have seen new replacements available, but in navy blue? That might be a challenge! Many Dynamic straps of this style were made of Corfam, and my opinion of these is that they are junk! Leather would be better IMO.

NickM79 likes this.
  3. NickM79 Oct 24, 2016

Thanks for the reply. The strap is actually black, the images have a blue tint because I took them with my phone in a hurry! I just wanted to keep as much of the authentic original as possible. I don't know if the material Corfam is something that can be 'restored'. I'll look around for alternative straps. Do you recall where you saw new replacements?
    There is a slight blemish on the edge of the face around the 51 min mark. I had read that this area can be pinched when the mechanism is accessed/replaced incorrectly. The rest of the face seems to be fine, except for the little gold blobs (luminance?) at the end of the markers for 25, 50 and 55 mins. There is a crack in the glass at 35 mins but I get the impression replacements are still available.
    I'm a complete novice in the world of good watches. Any advice on what to expect from a watch repairer would be appreciated. Is it worth sourcing the parts such as the seconds hand and the glass and giving them to the repairer, or letting them source them?

4. Canuck Oct 24, 2016

Otto Frei stocks black leather straps for your Dynamic. If you Google Omega Dynamic, you will likely come upon the same site that I did, which shows a steel Dynamic with the correct powder blue sweep seconds hand. There's a slim chance that Otto Frei may he able to supply one of those as well. Failing that, I suppose one could paint a generic hand. You might also try eBay. I never stop marvelling at the stuff that pops up there.

NickM79 likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 24, 2016

Omega still sells straps for these watches, as well as a bracelet if you are so inclined. As for sourcing the parts, find a watchmaker with an Omega parts account and let them do that - they will get parts cheaper from Omega than you can buy them from places like Otto Frei.

Cheers, Al

NickM79 likes this.
  6. NickM79 Oct 24, 2016

Great, thanks for the info.

7. Canuck Oct 24, 2016

Well! Now you have more than one option!

NickM79 likes this.
  8. AveConscientia Oct 24, 2016

I am so jealous the dynamics are in my top ten for watches my so far only has crapoy timexs and railroad pocketwatches

9. Canuck Oct 24, 2016

Railroad pocket watches are most certainly nothing to sneeze at! They comprise half of my collection! Be glad you have them.

NickM79 likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 24, 2016

Bracelets and straps (OEM and generic) are constantly on eBay.

The second hand would be best sourced via an ΩCWM.

NickM79 likes this.
  11. OmegaFL Nov 1, 2016

Hello NickM79 and all, I am new to the forum, (sorry for jumping in to the conversation, I can not figure out how to start a new thread/topic) I just signed up due to my recent purchase. I have taken delivery of an Omega Dynamic, however I don't know much about it. It is manual wind. I do not want to start opening it up to take a look at the movement, so I would like to ask if anyone can tell what model, year and movement it is from looking at the photos. I am also curious if anyone knows how long the power reserve is on a manual wind. There is a nasty chip in the glass at 4 o'clock but it does not appear to be all the way through so moisture intrusion does not appear an issue. There is no Omega logo etched in the glass either, so does this mean it is not the original glass. The strap could do with replacing and I would like to find an original buckle too. So far I have had it for two hours and it is keeping excellent time. (I know it's early yet) I was originally looking for the typical bulls eye dial however, this is such a vibrant blue that it pops in the sunlight. By the way NickM79 I love the dial on your automatic. Not seen that before, very cool.
    Thanks so much all for any insight you may have!.
    s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg

12. Canuck Nov 1, 2016

To open a new thread, return to the message board MAIN page. Select a forum you wish to open your thread in (Omega Watches, or Open Discussion, or whatever), and click on it. When the page opens, look for NEW TOPIC, and click on it. Give your thread a title, and post.

Your watch could be perhaps mid 1960s, although I'm sure I'll hear about it if I'm wrong! If you could give us a S#, it could perhaps help narrow down at least a year. Nice watch. By the way, don't try to change the crystal, or open it by yourself!

Edited Nov 1, 2016
  13. OmegaFL Nov 1, 2016

Thanks for the info on opening a new thread. Unfortunately I don't see a serial number on the case. I am thinking that perhaps this is on the inside somewhere. I plan to purchase a new crystal, so that might be the time to look inside. I have a local jeweler that I trust who can open it up. It's probably worth having a service too. Thanks for the compliment. I usually wear a 42mm chronograph daily, so it's taking some getting used to as it seems small. It's in great shape for its age. The graining on the case appears original and the edges are still sharp. So far it's still ticking. Fingers crossed! Thanks again!

Edited Nov 9, 2016