Forums Latest Members
  1. Kevinpitz Jul 27, 2017

Hi guys, first time caller, long-time listener,

I'm just starting to get into vintage watches, and was hoping my first purchase would be a 60s/70s Geneve or Constellation. What do you guys think of the following watches:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Omeg...394888?hash=item3d41969dc8:g:qT0AAOSwbIRZbRQ6Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1969-Omega-G...327720?hash=item3d420fa968:g:BTIAAOSw5gFZct0APurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I sincerely appreciate your time,

Kevin

2. mikechi22 Jul 27, 2017

Haven't been around long enough to give you expert advice, but lately those early quartz Omegas have piqued my interest. The one you found looks super cool! It will be interesting to hear what the maintenance expertise folks have to say. I think the one you found is the nicest looking one I've seen...that's on the market.

I bought a fixer upper from the seller of the Geneve. Everything was as expected - actually nicer than I anticipated!

Good luck!

3. BenBagbag Jul 27, 2017

Hey Kevin,

These are two very different watches. One is electric powered and one is manual wind. One is gold fill (which are typically less desirable) and one is stainless steel. They will operate differently and wear differently. If you are kinda new at this - scroll around the forum, see what people are sharing and see if you can refine your taste a bit. Personally, my taste evolved the longer I perused the forum.

I personally like the Geneve more...

And yes, maintenance on the electric ones can be tricky. They don't work like normal quartz watches do.

Good luck,
    Ben

4. Kevinpitz Jul 28, 2017

Thanks for the help team. I had no idea that maintenance on the electric piece could be so difficult, and will look into the more robust versions of the Geneve. Excited to start learning.

Kevin