Forums Latest Members

General thoughts on buying a new Speedy vs a used one with Patina

1. gazza74 Apr 20, 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum although not to watches. My interest over the last few months have turned towards the Speedy Pro, and I'm torn between getting a brand new one (hesalite, closed back), or going for an excellent condition older model with patina on the hands and markers from a trusted seller.

The new one would be marginally less expensive and have full warranty, however I do love the look of patina on a Speedy. For my pricier purchases I usually go new, however I know I won't ever get that patina on a new Speedy. I do plan to keep this watch for my lifetime, so resale value is not that important to me.

I know on-one but I can make the decision, but wanted to see what others thought of this question and see if there's anything that could sway me either way.

Thanks, and I hope to be enjoying Speedy Tuesday with you folks soon.

2. wsfarrell Apr 20, 2017

I have a new one and several vintage ones, and almost always find myself reaching for a vintage one to wear. There's just something about a watch that's been around a while and survived. All new ones are identical; no two vintage ones are alike. After a service, the vintage ones are pretty much trouble-free and nearly as accurate as a new one. Easy choice.........

3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 20, 2017

What is a new watch? Is that like an old wooden ship?

Joking...patina all the way...no question...always.

AveConscientia and gazza74 like this.
  4. gbh76 Apr 20, 2017

I currently only have 1 speedy, but it is a 1976 birth year Watch with a lovey bit of patina. much prefer a bit of patina on a speedy. Only advice to you would be to buy the seller, and ideally get a recently serviced watch.

gazza74 likes this.
  5. abrod520 Apr 20, 2017

New one if it'll be an everyday watch with a potentially hard life, vintage one if it'll be worn fairly carefully, occasionally or everyday

Pun and gazza74 like this.
  6. gazza74 Apr 20, 2017

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. I would only buy a pre-owned one from a trusted seller, and it. Would be worn in a rotation with a few other watches. Good point about service history though. I'd have to ask about that.

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 20, 2017

Kringkily has a nice '67 in the For Sale section...

Kmart, gazza74 and eugeneandresson like this.
  8. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 20, 2017

Trust your gut and give it what it wants, because on some level you almost certainly already know, and there's nothing like getting that itch scratched. (Costs less in the long run too, since if you're hooked, you're pretty much assured to wind up giving in at some point and getting the thing you already know you'd best like to have.)

gazza74 likes this.
  9. levkov Apr 20, 2017

Vintage all the way! Not only they come "pre-patinated" for you, but the new ones are treated with superluminova, which won't change colours very much, even after long-long decades..

As for the budget.. it's funny to read "new one would be marginally less expensive", few years ago it was the other way around...

As an option, you could still go for an 80's / early 90's model with a Tritium dial, that has the ability to develop a nice warm patina (if it hasn't yet), without the harsh price tag...

Mine say hi (69 vs 05):
    2_speedys.jpg

10. Jaacck Apr 20, 2017

I went new, I liked the idea of having it from the box fresh to then still having it when I am old and grey. Also was an easier sell to my better half, spending more money to get an older watch wouldn't compute with her I don't think.

ChrisN and gazza74 like this.
  11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 20, 2017

Hi Gazza74

Firsly : Welcome.

Secondly : A speedy with Patina doesn't have to be that old. You simply need to get one with a Tritium dial. I believe the newest of these is around '96/'97 (when they switched over to luminova). If you look around, you could find a mint one for about the same price as a new one (or a bit cheaper). The closer you get to the 60's the higher the prices rise (and the more difficult it is to find original pieces in good condition). Its almost certain that you will end up with multiple...and will most likely get both :) As levkov showed, they have different moods...a good thing when picking a watch on a particular day.

Happy hunting...and do post some pics once you have moved in for the kill...

Regards,
    Eugene

gazza74 and Jaacck like this.
  12. gbh76 Apr 20, 2017

Speedy trilogy 57 LE.... best of both worlds if you can find one!

gazza74 and eugeneandresson like this.
  13. Sculler22 Apr 20, 2017

As you will read here, ad infinitum, ad nauseum, taste is subjective, and we can't take up your mind for you. I think you can understand that one watch may not be the end of the process. Key is to get the first one in excellent running condition so that the experience is pleasant from the very beginning.

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 20, 2017

Yup, and darnit!!!

gazza74 likes this.
  15. gazza74 Apr 20, 2017

Thanks again for the added responses! Yep, the decision is ultimately mine to make, but seeing that many of you aren't that concerned about going with an older version is good. I would not be surprised if I do end up with a couple, and even branch out into other Speedys too.

16. brunik Apr 20, 2017

There is nothing more beautiful that a nice speedy with patina!

Pun, McJamesT and gazza74 like this.
  17. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 20, 2017

I too have been wrestling with this question as there is a birth-year model available for me right now from one of the best sellers, but... the problem is I don't really want it. I've thought if I ever got a "real" Speedmaster, it'd be a new or close-to-new sapphire sandwich. I feel horribly guilty for not really wanting my birth year one since I know That's A Big Thing Here but I just can't seem to make myself want it. I keep hoping some lucky person will buy it and solve my problem.

gazza74 likes this.
  18. VillageIdiot Apr 20, 2017

If I buy used, I'd rather get an unserviced watch. That way, I can send it to a reputable shop, and be sure that it's done right.

Nathan1967, noelekal and gazza74 like this.
  19. U5512 Apr 20, 2017

I've a few vintage Speedmasters, but my daily wearer is a modern one below. If you like the warm yellowish patina dial, look for a tritium dial Speedmaster 3570.50 from the '90s.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mikechi22, ctime3 and gazza74 like this.
  20. 2nastie Apr 20, 2017

Can I use the typical answer and say both?

You can never replicate the beauty of patina on a dial of a watch and the thrill of having something that has survived for such a long period of time.

However, I like having a new watch as it's something you can create a history for yourself. Too many people getting caught up about the history of watch... reminiscing the past in a way. The only way there is history or a past if someone creates it first.

Being you plan on holding it for lifetime I say new if it's only going to be one speedy.

I say both if you are open to having two speedies.

... that's why I have two ;) ... at least

gazza74 likes this.