Forums Latest Members

Gap Between The HEV And The Case

1. Spy You know my name. Jun 22, 2013

I noticed gap a few days ago between the HEV and the case on my 2254. I thought when I had looked at it countless times before the HEV was secure against the case when fully screwed in.

The waterproofness has not been compromised, but then again, even with the HEV fully unscrewed an SMP is still water-resistant to 50 meters.

See the pics of the front and back of my 2254.

Can anyone with a standard SMP look at their HEV through magnification and confirm if I am alone, please?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hijak Jun 24, 2013

Here are some pics of my 2255.80, same case I think...

DSC00066.JPG

DSC00067.JPG

Might you have knocked the crown on something? I know this seem silly but is it screwed in all the way?

3. Spy You know my name. Jun 24, 2013

I probably have knocked it once or twice while walking through a door way. But it unscrews and screws in without trouble. Our watch cases are the same. And your HEV looks completely sealed compared to mine.

4. Hijak Jun 24, 2013

Mine does make contact with the case all the way around the HEV. It looks like the threaded part of the HEV, on your watch, got knocked as so the crown touches the case on the "9 side" and leaves a gap on the "10 side." Is this the case? If so the gasket inside the crown is not making full contact for sure. It would have taken a pretty good knock I'm thinking...to move it that much. More than your average doorway tap...more like a direct hit to the crown itself...

5. trumpetera Jun 24, 2013

+1. My 2254's He valve screws in all the way all around.

I would get that looked at by a competent Omega watchmaker if I were you. Might not be a problem, but why take a chance with such a beautiful watch? ;)

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 24, 2013

I only have 1 watch in the shop with an HEV at the moment, and it screws all the way down. Might be time for a pressure test at a minimum. If it passes I would not be too concerned, but if it doesn't a whole new HEV assembly may be needed. This will require removing the movement, crystal, disassembling the HEV, heating the case to loosen the Loctite on the HEV body, then installing a new one with Loctite, installing the crystal again with a new gasket, and assembling everything again. Not a small job...

Cheers, Al

7. Hijak Jun 24, 2013

So the HEV is a separate piece from the case then maybe it wouldn't take such a big hit to dislodge it...

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 24, 2013

The HEV is a unit that screws into the case - similar to how the case tube is mounted. Here is how one is changed - of course the movement is already out of the watch in this case:

1 - Disassemble the existing valve:

[​IMG]

2 - Remove the crystal:

[​IMG]

3 - Prepare to heat the case with a small torch, and have the tool for removing the tube handy:

[​IMG]

4 - Heat the case and use the tool to unscrew the tube:

[​IMG]

5 - Prepare the case by installing a new washer, then coat the threads of the new tube with Loctite:

[​IMG]

6 - Install the new tube:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 - Install the crystal (new gasket of course) and then assemble the valve:

[​IMG]

Then carry on with pressure testing, assembly, etc.

Cheers, Al

ron n, NT931, alam and 1 other person like this.
  9. Spy You know my name. Jun 24, 2013

Archer, fantastic walk through! Thank you for that.

Now that I have confirmation about it I will take it to my AD asap. It is my only watch, aside from a Swatch automatic, but, nevertheless, it is may favorite. I cannot take a chance on it letting in water.

I wish the HEV was not there! :mad:

10. Spy You know my name. Jun 24, 2013

As quickly as possible, it will go to OMEGA. I might be James Bond, but I do not have an OMEGA endorsement for an unlimited supply of SMP's.

11. Spy You know my name. Jun 24, 2013

That is what happens when you fight Oddjob and Jaws at the same time. :p

12. ulackfocus Jun 24, 2013

Oddjaws?

13. Spy You know my name. Jun 24, 2013

That is their frankenhenchman friend. ;)

14. Hijak Jun 25, 2013

Al very thorough as always, thanks!

Ed

15. Spy You know my name. Jul 31, 2013

I wanted to share an update about the HEV on my 2254.

My AD called me last Thursday to tell me my watch was ready and I picked it up promptly. OMEGA examined, tested it for water-resistance, and also demagnetized it for me. The HEV still looks like how it did when it was sent to OMEGA but it remained waterproof. This past weekend I was traveling and the hotel we were at had a pool and hot tub. After spending over 12 minutes in the hot tub, I hopped in the pool and swam around and then returned to the hot tub. I did this a few times throughout the entire two hour period. Guess what? My 2254 remained watertight! I was not overly surprised because after all, it is an SMP. Also, OMEGA did not charge me for it and now I have a third red leather transport case from them. :D

The other good news is my Great White Shark tooth arrived! It measures 2.20 inches or 56mm. Using a mathematical formula I was able to determine it came from a 17 foot Great White. GWS are fully mature at that size or larger in some cases.

IMG_20130731_015631.jpg

16. Hijak Jul 31, 2013

Glad that worked out for you. Nice shark tooth :eek: too!

Maybe a Great White Omega is in order for you?

Spy likes this.
  17. Spy You know my name. Aug 1, 2013

A Great White would be a nice addition! You paying?

LOL

18. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2013

Why do I smell a hijack about shark teeth?

Spy likes this.
  19. Spy You know my name. Aug 1, 2013

I forgot that OMEGA and Great White Sharks have much in common.

20. Hijak Aug 1, 2013

:whistling:Who me, smell a Hijak, guess I'll go clean up...