Forums Latest Members
  1. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 30, 2015

I've only just recently taken an interest in watches, and am very much at the start of what could be a long and very expensive journey. In particular, I enjoy seeing the incredible watch photos posted on the various fora here.

Just as an antidote to the seriousness, I thought start thread where pictures could be posted of some of the less "treasured" items owned by members. And by less "treasured" I really mean....OMG, what was I thinking!!!! ::facepalm1::

I will start. On a flight to Cuba a couple of years ago, I got bored and started leafing through the in-flight mag. I saw a watch and thought - that's just the sort of thing a pale Scotsman needs to have on his wrist to show off his (hopefully soon to be noticeable) tan. So I bought it. In my defence, all I can say is drink was involved. After the holiday, it was consigned to a drawer.

As I'm off in a couple of weeks to Tenerife, I thought I'd dig it out as a holiday watch. I tried it on again. The timekeeping was spot on, but I came to the conclusion I just couldn't face the prospect of wearing it again.

Here it is........

IMG_20150630_130821.jpg
    P.S. The interesting patination on the bezel was accidentally achieved by the application of Ambre Solaire factor 15 :cool:

Fritz, Mad Dog and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  2. SeanO Jun 30, 2015

I applaud your tolerance for liquor. I would have passed out before getting drunk enough to buy that:p

STANDY, Euxinus, Noisy Nova and 12 others like this.
  3. lenny Jun 30, 2015

Hmm...I was thinking you got something like this:
    [​IMG]

RIP Skymall - international flights will never be the same without you!
    [​IMG]

daswunschkind and Mad Dog like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 30, 2015

POST OF THE DAY!

:D

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 30, 2015

Surprised they served drinks to a 14 year old. ;)

6. Geo! Jun 30, 2015

I resemble that statement! :D

7. Canuck Jun 30, 2015

Certainly not a watch that would pass the jaundiced view of a serious watch aficionado. This outfit knew what they were doing. Rule out the .01% of the population who could identify all the bogus features on this piece of c_ _ p, and the potential market is huge! But you have to wonder how a watch with that bezel, chrono pushers, but no obvious chronograph function could fool anyone! To quote John Ruskin.

image.jpg

8. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jun 30, 2015

Ice ice baby!

9. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 2, 2015

After some thought and a bit of research, I've ordered my new "holiday" watch. If the reviews are to be believed, it may well become my daily wear :rolleyes:

Mako.jpg

SeanO likes this.
  10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 2, 2015

Too much rum at a charity auction.
    The "big shot" enters a bid to get the ball rolling...........guess what!

Even the Chinatown shops laugh at me.
    I've got the full set, never been used, pristine NOS, if anyone is interested!

37035-ce04d23f6c69acfc011350abfac4a59a.jpg

Tire-comedon and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  11. Canuck Jul 2, 2015

Oops!

12. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jul 2, 2015

I guess I can play with this Seiko 5 (even the dial is gold plated...::facepalm1::) :
    [​IMG]

13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 2, 2015

I'm going to dig out some vintage "accidental" acquisitions that I would now pass on at this point in the watch hobby.

Longines "Weems." Do ya' think it could be a redial? A Weems dial has "no place to go" in this 10kt gold-filled case and looks so out of place. Shame of it is, the 1943 12L movement is sparkling bright and I particularly like the delicate hue of the gold on the case which looks really great in person. Just yesterday I started pondering what sort of dial this could have originally featured and if I ought to go for a redo-of-the-redo. Removed the strap since the photo was taken. Picked up for cheap because no one else was dumb enough to bid on it and because I love vintage Longines.
    [​IMG]

Yeah, it's one of those. Shown here before. A late 1959 watch and 520 movement with the dial that "captivates." A Yorkshire friend visited us and was wearing a similarly-styled Seamaster and I was smitten. His had the sword hands which looked better with this dial treatment. This one isn't so bad when viewed in person. Purchased "right", it makes a good Friday office or weekend casual watch with its black buffalo strap.
    [​IMG]

My first Omega watch and the one I've had the longest. Also shown here before. Purchased from a murky South American Ebay seller back in Ebay's early days in the late 1990s. This one's been sturdy and accurate and has seen some world travel. I'm going to fetch it from routine service next weekend. I'm trying to decide what to do with the dial. Was pleased with it when I got it and didn't even realize that it was a re-dial. It's now so ugly to me it's enough to "make ya want to slap ya granny." So ...Have a restoration service provide the best possible rendition of a proper dial or leave it alone and use the watch as a beater?
    [​IMG]

14. bvertz Jul 2, 2015

Melt value < postage to CashForGold.com

15. blubarb Jul 19, 2015

My sister bought this back from Portugal for me. It's an Omego Fent and it cost her €2.90 and the quartz crystal makes it my most accurate watch - lol! Good thing accuracy and precision are only two of the good things about watches.

IMG_0436.jpg

nlogax and pgoat like this.
  16. ulackfocus Jul 19, 2015

17. Paedipod Jul 19, 2015

here's one of mine before I knew to ask OF before I bought anything......
    IMG_3458.JPG

18. ulackfocus Jul 19, 2015

Wow, an INTERCONTINENTAL VOYAGER, eh? Did it come with it's own passport? :p

Paedipod likes this.
  19. Paedipod Jul 19, 2015

oh yeah....forgot about this one.....this is what happens before you pass out
    IMG_1149.jpg

nlogax and Mad Dog like this.
  20. Paedipod Jul 19, 2015

no, but a honkin' big box that put the latest speedmaster ones to shame, plus a whole set of little tools to size the bracelet.

Mad Dog likes this.