Forums Latest Members
  1. cviolin Jan 10, 2020

Happy Friday Everyone!

I have an Omega electronic fz300Hz that I bought many years ago. I would like to spruce it up a bit and make it more "original". First, it has a generic crown on it. The crown that's on it is 4mm. Would any 4mm Omega crown work with this watch?

Second, I need to replace the day-date wheels because that function doesn't work. Would day-date wheels from a Bulova tuning fork watch that is approximately the same size with the same day-date configuration work? The window that frames the day-date on the Bulova doesn't have a divider in it. However, the Omega does. Does anyone know of a vendor or someone who might have these kind of date wheels?

I just had the movement serviced and it works very well. I haven't checked to see what the exact -+ is per day, but it hasn't changed much since I got it back yesterday.

I'll post pics of it later.

Thanks in advance!
    Have a great weekend,
    Chris

2. dx009 Jan 10, 2020

Normally, if possible, you should get the correct crown for that model which might end up being also 4mm or not. First and foremost it's the hole in the crown that matters as it'll be connected to a stem and that stem has a certain thread size.

If your watch has both day and date then it'll have two rings. There is a chance that one or both might fit the Omega but I quite doubt it and, again, you should fit original ones for that movement. Also, just because these features aren't working it doesnt mean that you have to change the rings. Maybe the issue is fixable during servicing of the movement.

How reliable was the one servicing the movement ? Normally servicing means that your watch comes back FULLY functioning. Did they tell you WHY the day/date function isn't working ? Moreso they should have replaced the crown with a genuine one but that one depends on their stocks and a few other things.

Otterina and cviolin like this.
  3. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jan 10, 2020

4. JackDaniels83 Jan 10, 2020

You are writing, that the movement has been serviced. Why do you then need a day date wheel (in fact there is a day disc and a date wheel)? I do have parts for the movement. Bulova parts won't fit, because it is an ESA movement.

cviolin likes this.
  5. cviolin Jan 10, 2020

I thought the crown would have to have to be for that model. I was hoping for some kind of easy ways to try to get this watch to some sort of an original form. I feel silly that I thought there was some way to cut corners to do this.

The watch wasn't running, so I took it to a watch maker to see if he could get it running again. He doesn't normally work on these kinds of watches. That is why he doesn't have the day-date wheels or a crown for this fz300 model. is a very reliable watch maker.

The man who worked on it is a very reliable watch maker and is retired now. At one time, he was a Rolex certified watch maker.

6. cviolin Jan 10, 2020

Do you have parts that you might be willing to sell me?

7. Sherbie Jan 10, 2020

Search Paul at electric watches.co.uk. I have used him in the past to do repair work on my F300.

no affilliation - just a really pleased repeat customer

ps his web site has a lot of info on it so worth taking a look at it anyway

TDBK and hanky6 like this.
  8. cviolin Jan 11, 2020

Thank you so much!!

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 11, 2020

F300 date and day rings are plastic which goes brittle over time and lose teeth. The date only 1250 movement is worse in this regard than the day date 1260 but it sounds like yours have indeed failed. Wheels pop up on ebay now and then, yes the wheels from the base ESA 9164 movement work. There is a suppler in Germany who makes metal replacement wheels but I haven't got a link for those. Paul uses them. You can also buy complete 9164 movements on ebay, the 9162 are more rarely seen, but these have a different plate finish to the Omega version.

10. JackDaniels83 Jan 11, 2020

ESA 9162 = Omega 1250 -> date only
    ESA 9164 = Omega 1260 -> day and date

The only difference between Omega and ESA is the color of the movement plates (Omega rose gold, ESA nickel). The date wheel of the 1250 does not fit the 1260. The metal date discs are only available for the 1250 movements with stem and date at 3 o-clock.

11. cviolin Jan 12, 2020

I bought a 1260 ESA 9160 metal day disk on ebay. Now I'm looking for the date wheel. This has become a fun scavenger hunt! I've looked websites at or contacted most of people suggested. You guys are the best!

12. Uscjake87 Jan 12, 2020

You need to recheck your purchase. Jackdaniels83 is correct. The ebay seller with metal discs had them only for the 1250. They dont fit the 1260.

13. Astiegan Jan 14, 2020

Your watchmaker may be certified and experienced but having worked on Rolex doesn't mean he knows how a tuning fork works and how to service it.

I've send a few watches to Paul at electric-watches.co.uk and he replaced a date wheel on one of my F300Hz with a metal one. I think it's a good investment if you want to keep it for a long time.

For parts, don't look at Bulova as they are quite different but look at basically any other brands that have done tuning fork watches because they will likely have the ESA 9162/4.

14. JackDaniels83 Jan 14, 2020

Bulova never used an ESA 9162/9164. They had their own movements (218, 219, 224, and a lot more). In fact, ESA had to pay Bulova for using their patents.

15. Jonathan40 Mar 18, 2020

Does anyone personally know Paul at electric watches.
    The website said away a few weeks but now says a few months.
    I have a poorly Seamaster Hummer I’d like servicing/fixing.

16. Uscjake87 Mar 18, 2020

Deafboy likes this.
  17. elara2105 Mar 18, 2020

18. Jonathan40 Mar 18, 2020

Thanks for that, just concerned about shipping/duties both in and out at both ends.
    If no joy here in the UK might have to reconsider

19. Jonathan40 Mar 18, 2020

Thanks for that, just concerned about shipping/duties both in and out at both ends.
    If no joy here in the UK might have to reconsider

elara2105 likes this.
  20. GarethS Mar 18, 2020

My recent acquisition says hello!

I was told about the old brittle plastic date rings are susceptible to damage if adjusted whilst the hands are near 12:00.

C2781602-D435-4D84-AD81-148BD5CA3A13.jpeg

tikkathree likes this.