Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diabolik Oct 27, 2016

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 27, 2016

Doesn't that normally mean it has all of the original bits that came with it, such as manual, warranty card, box, sales receipt, etc.? The photos seem to indicate those items are part of the package.

3. Rman Oct 27, 2016

Can there be any doubt about those hands? Look at the condition.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 27, 2016

Usually means it comes with All original bits plus sales receipt.

5. LaurentBxl Oct 27, 2016

are the hands correct? they are from a first generation, it is the first time i see them on a second generation.

6. Rman Oct 27, 2016

This would have to be a put-together of epic scale, why put those hands on it then?

7. Diabolik Oct 27, 2016

It is a full set. Just trying to work out of what. If anyone knows please come forth. I am starting to wonder about mentha watch ...

8. Rman Oct 27, 2016

Do you mean the dial?

9. Rman Oct 27, 2016

The crown stem just slightly off also gives me pause for a watch that lived in a bank vault.

Just thinking out loud because this is a Santa Claus watch for me. Not only have I been asking him for one.. I just want to believe

Edited Oct 27, 2016
    rolokr and Larry S like this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 27, 2016

I think they are no better or worse than any of the other on line sellers. I have learned that there are two constituencies, collectors and folks who like cool old watches. Caveat emptor.

aap and oddboy like this.
  11. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Oct 28, 2016

"This Polerouter Sub comes as a complete, “full” set, with the original box and papers, and fitted on the original stainless steel, Universal Geneve-signed Gay Freres bracelet, virtually unworn."

..."Please Note: It is likely that this model is a “transitional” model, as the hands used here on traditionally seen on the MK1 Polerouter Sub. However, these hands were born with this watch, as the patina and “glow” from the lume completely and unequivocally matches..."

12. kevin5 Oct 28, 2016

You're a clown Diabolik. A "full set" means a watch that comes with the original box, papers. But everyone knows that don't they? This watch is by definition a full set. Sure the hands aren't typically what you find on this reference but inconsistencies existed did they not? I've seen this watch in person and can say it appears unworn let alone messed with in anyway. He could've easily changed the handset to the more accepted one as he has some and decided to keep the watch honest as it was discovered.

Why don't you tell the forum the truth about why you have beef with Menta watches? I have done many deals with them and they've always gone perfectly and I've received great watches at a great value in comparison to other dealers. Menta is one of the best out there so come off it.

You've given me no choice but to expose why you go out of your way to try to bash Menta for being honest and doing the right thing. I can speak to this since I had a deal with you which involved a trade sending you my watch to the U.K. Paying for shipping and customs fees all for you to continue shopping the watch around in the mean time for a higher bidder one of them being Menta. You didn't know that I was a client of his and so he reached out to me knowing I was looking for the watch and when he sent pictures I was aghast to see that it was the same watch we had made a deal on. When I told Menta this he couldn't believe it and told you he preferred not to do business with you since he felt that conducting yourself in that manor was untrustworthy and I'm sure many here will agree. Of course you did find a higher bidder didn't you and even though I paid to have my watch shipped overseas fully insured and paid the customs duties you still reneged on the deal and demanded cash payment for the watch or you would sell to another buyer. I am a man of my word therefore I sent my friend in London the money to pay you cash so you have nothing you can say against me or my reputation as no one can because I pride myself in being honest, trustworthy and friendly to to everyone especially those within our community. My reputation speaks for itself and I don't like to do this but it hurts me to see good people targeted for doing the right thing.

Shame on you for this post, however I am not in the least bit surprised knowing the person you are after that deal. The moderators should really consider a suspension or an outright ban IMO.

sgtpry likes this.
  13. repoman Oct 28, 2016

Looks like ulterior motives at work here... not cool if so.

Edited Oct 28, 2016
  14. keywerd Oct 28, 2016

::popcorn::

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 28, 2016

Two sides to every story. My experience with Diabolik has been nothing but positive on my Noob journey into UG. I've bought from him, met him personally, seen examples of his collection, (very high standards) and he's had my back in advising on multiple buys. Given the insane pricing in these watches it seems appropriate to challlenge. I cite his recent challenge to Hodinkee of a Tri Compax they listed and their acknowledgement of the issues he raised. So don't know what happened here but perhaps PM might have been more appropriate.

16. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Oct 28, 2016

Indeed, Oh boy..
    I don't think anyone is knocking anyone down.
    My comfort zone is Rolex and I can say for certainty that during certain production periods, hands do patina differently to dials.
    In looking at this watch, hands appear to match the dots off the indices. Is there any material on the indices... I don't know...but, man take a chill pill..

17. kevin5 Oct 28, 2016

Hi Larry,

I don't see why a PM would've been appropriate here when he couldn't simply contacted Menta and asked him what "full set" meant. This was not his intent though, his intent was to attack Menta for not wanting to do business with him after the shadiness that went on with him continuing to shop a watch while knowing he had made a deal and I had sent him a tracking number and everything. I'm happy to post screen shots of the email string as well, or if he has nothing to hide he can. I'm simply looking out for someone who I feel like like was looking out for me when this all went down. We all should take care of each other in this community, collectors and dealers alike. As I said my reputation speaks for itself, feel free to reference check Kevin O'Dell all over the world and I'm sure you'll be more that satisfied. Even Diabolik would have to give me a positive feedback since I had a friend hand him a large amount of cash face to face in London even after he reneged on our original deal and even refused to cover my shipping and customs fees. The guy is a piece of work, and his intent here is obvious. I don't have time to post on the forums much these days since my daughter was born but I can't stand by and watch this happen especially when the person being attacked is completely honest and the one who is attacking isn't. I'm glad you had a smooth deal with him, I wish I could say the same but I can say I've purchased close to 10 watches from Menta they've all been flawless deals.

sgtpry likes this.
  18. Omeg@007 BLACK & ORANGE rule!!! Oct 28, 2016

or it could mean: full set with: bezel, hands, crown,...etc

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL

19. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Oct 28, 2016

..Yes.. Basic components are a must..

20. Diabolik Oct 29, 2016

??? what is all of this about ??? Pretty bitter and twisted words ...

Attack menta? Why ? Kevin take it back !You may be a nice chap but this type message is a clear attack on me. If you are unhappy about something i have done, approach me not the forum.

I have NO beef, chicken or bacon with Menta. However, In my eyes the watch is a duffer and so is the other one and reasons are very clearly stated. These guys are selling expensive watches and scrutinising the product is NOT an attack. Or should we paint it as something it is not ? sorry ! Cant call mutton lamb whether it is mentha, orologiese or noodia.

Larry S likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.