Forums Latest Members

SOLD: Polerouter Deluxe in 18k Rose Gold

1. squarelug Oct 9, 2019

Selling my Polerouter Deluxe in Rose Gold. This is another watch I purchased recently that just hasn't really clicked. Maybe my skin is too pink? But not sure rose gold is for me. I will almost certainly regret selling this but I recently stumbled upon a grail that I'm consolidating for so this must go.

While I wouldn't say the case is unpolished, at the very least it is in very good shape. It is (thankfully) not beat to shit the way a lot of gold watches get from repeated wear and polishing. There are some mico scratches at noon and two oclock, which are barely noticeable. Dial, meanwhile, is also impeccable. If you haven't owned a polerouter, well, these things are amazing - and where else can you get a rose gold watch designed by Genta for under $5k?? No where, that's where.

(I was asked recently about the lack of REF on outside of the caseback and whether that indicates it was polished off. Not necessarily - I've seen a lot of Polerouters with casebacks like this one. And the direction of grain on the caseback, to me, indicates that is shipped from the factory this way when compared against the grain on the dial).

Details: Universal Rose Gold Universal Polerouter De Luxe Universal, Genève. Microrotor movement, self-winding, water resistant, 18K rose gold wristwatch.

Case: three-body, polished, screw back, 18k rose gold. Signed.
    Dial: Solid rose gold dial, outer guilloche gold chapter ring that has baton hour markers, Dauphine hands, center seconds. Beautiful dial.
    Dial, case and movement signed.
    Size: Diameter: 35mm Thickness: 8mm

Movement: Cal. 215, rhodium-plated, fausses cotes decoration, 28 jewels, straight-line lever escapement, monometallic balance, shock absorber, self-compensating flat balance spring, micrometer regulator, fitted with a micro-rotor

Circa 1950's.

Price (includes fully insured shipping via Parcel Pro) is $3500. Payment via bank wire or Paypal + fees. Will accept returns if not as described. References available upon request.

IMG_8483.jpg IMG_8484.jpg IMG_8486.jpg IMG_8733.jpg IMG_8734.jpg IMG_8735.jpg IMG_8736.jpg IMG_8737.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg

Edited Oct 21, 2019
    Zdzislaw, GTAKnights, DaveK and 15 others like this.
  2. squarelug Oct 21, 2019

bump

3. squarelug Oct 22, 2019

bump

Edited Oct 25, 2019
  4. Rman Oct 22, 2019

Perhaps an avatar would help as well, friend.

DaveK likes this.
  5. squarelug Oct 22, 2019

I hate avatars but how's this?

Masterofkarate and CafeRacer like this.
  6. Rman Oct 22, 2019

Suits you:thumbsup:

Masterofkarate, DaveK and DRjre086 like this.
  7. rkman11 Oct 25, 2019

Did I imagine or was there a price reduction a few days ago?

Edited Oct 25, 2019
    COYI, Saturnus, ilayd and 1 other person like this.
  8. ELV web Oct 25, 2019

Dinked!

9. jerryct Oct 28, 2019

Featured by Hodinkee Bring a Loupe ;)

sdre and Pjotr1 like this.
  10. squarelug Oct 29, 2019

OHPF

11. squarelug Nov 19, 2019

I'm re-opening this to offers. The buyer in question expressed a lot of interest / was going to do an immediate wire but has since gone incommunicado. Hodinkee tire kickers maybe?

I buy watches much more than I sell so maybe I've been insulated from this type of thing, but it's the second time it's happened, and I don't get it as someone who's super decisive and clear with their communication. Please, if you say you want me to hold the piece, follow through with a wire in a timely manner. And if you need reassurance, ask for references - I have plenty. Anyway, rant off.

Edited Nov 19, 2019
    jerryct likes this.
  12. squarelug Nov 19, 2019

Price is $3k by the way now.

13. Taybharr Nov 19, 2019

I had the exact same situation. Someone made me an offer, then when I accepted the offer, all of a sudden they apparently had spent it all.

14. squarelug Nov 19, 2019

Yeah I don't get it. Then again, I don't get buyer's remose either really, but I guess I'm not an impetuous purchaser. I might enjoy the heck out of a piece, have my tastes change, and then sell a piece but I have never committed to something I wasn't 100% going through on. Strange!

15. squarelug Nov 20, 2019

Here was the Hodinkee article on this by the way - https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bring-a-loupe-oct-25

It seems that a theme is becoming clear in today's Bring a Loupe, as here we have another aviation-related watch coming in hot. Contrasting the rest, this one does not feature a highly functional 24-hour dial, or a handy chronograph function, but instead proved itself in the cockpit by way of its antimagnetic shielding, which proved useful to Scandinavian Airlines Systems pilots who experienced these meddling fields when flying over the North Pole.

Today's example in question corresponds with the reference number 10357-1. Although the markings have worn off its caseback, this is indeed the variant we're dealing with. What makes this one special is its 18k gold case, which, unlike the majority of gold Polerouters, is rose gold. This not only affords it the ability to stand out from the pack a bit more, but it also makes the watch a little bit more wearable in casual settings. Worn-off reference aside, its condition is outstanding, with a thick case and flawless dial. This is just about as good as it gets.

In 2019, the Polerouter line offers a serious amount of bang for your buck. As the seller of this example has stated, it's a solid gold Universal Geneve, powered by a top tier micro-rotor caliber, thought up by none other than Gerald Genta himself. For under the $5,000 mark, it's quite tough to do much better in the vintage sphere, with few other horologically significant equals. If you're able to pull off an all gold watch – which is easier than you'd think considering that the case measures a conservative 34.5 mm across – I say by all means, go for it.

Sanremo likes this.
  16. squarelug Nov 23, 2019

bump

17. squarelug Dec 4, 2019

This is SOLD! Thanks all!

jshaw083 likes this.