Forums Latest Members

SOLD FS: Omega Speedmaster Speedsonic 'lobster' B&P and running perfectly

1. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 23, 2014

Afternoon all

This is with a heavy heart however I cannot justify keeping all my Omega Speedsonic Lobster chronographs (I've recently acquired a further 2) and have an opportunity to buy a grail watch (thanks for the forum) so something needs to go to fund it. I bought this example from a UK collector, virtually unworn and supplied with original box, and F300 'you and your omega booklet it includes the omega tags, the watch has been to Swisstec and been fully check, regulated and cosmetically overhauled including new English date wheels

This is an absolutely lovely example of an Omega Speedmaster Speedsonic Lobster! Probably one of the rarest of Omega chronographs and rarest Speedmaster models, I owned two perfect examples, I sold one earlier in the year and kept the other, I have since in the last six weeks acquired a further two minters.

IMG_5988_zps7aecd72a.jpg

Anyway, I wouldn’t think it needs much introduction to Omega enthusiasts but just incase; The Omega Speedmaster 'Speedsonic' was introduced in the early 1970's as Omegas flagship chronograph, considerably more expensive than the moon watch or other Omega chronographs and the only one (other than the limited edition Speedy 125) that was Chronometer certified. The Speedsonic was an adaptation of Omegas mosaba movement or as we know it the F300, a mechanical movement which ran on a battery and was controlled by tuning forks which vibrated at a frequency of 300Hz

The movement was made under licence by Bulova, the chronograph version then adapted with basically and extra 'layer' for the chronograph operation. The movement in this watch was known as the Mosaba meaning 'montre sans balancier' translates for 'watch with no balance'

IMG_5986_zps052c06b8.jpg

This particular type, the Cal 9210, which has a chronograph module atop the generic oscillator module of the 9162/4 and a modified drivetrain module. The chronograph module was developed in secret by Dubois Dépraz at the behest of ESA and was caused quite a stir when launched 1972 as the worlds first electronic Chronograph

The Speedsonic was made in a few variations, most well known is the standard cushion case Speedsonic which came in SS or Gold plate with a number of dial variations, less common and considerably rarer is the Speedsonic 'Lobster', know because in bracelet form the bracelet resembles a lobster tail.

IMG_5989_zps62ad5d33.jpg

The lobsters are rare watches and of the 10000 9210’s made in total production only a small percentage were lobster variant so to find one in this condition is very rare. As you can see from the attached adverts (images sources from www.old-omegas.com) when new these where flagship chronographs, costing 1/3rd more than the range topping flight master.

SpeedsonicLobsterAd.png

Speedsoniclobsterprice.png

Condition:

Case: Completely original and very lightly refinished at Omega to factory specification.

Case-back: Completely original with very clear hippocampus

Dial and hands: Original mirror dial in stunning condition with original hands, these really are the stand out items on the Lobster along alongside the obvious appearance of the case and BCT!

Crystal/ Tachy: perfect

Movement: Running exactly as it should and all functions working perfectly

Bracelet: Mint, full size (up to a 8 1/2 inch, YES 8 1/2 inch wrist) and original with no stretching lobster bracelet in stunning condition

The extra’s: Original inner box, original UK 'you and your omega instructions', original hang tags

IMG_5990_zps1b61176c.jpg

I am looking for a very firm £1850 for the full package! You will not find a nicer example, running perfectly, refinished, perfect lobster bracelet and a complete set, I would challenge anyone to show me a more complete, perfect example

Payment via BT or paypal as a gift, shipping via RMSD or International signed for , I am away over the festive period but can arrange to have it shipped between Christmas and new year if required urgently, if not can ship in the new year.

Cheers Tom

IMG_5986_zps052c06b8.jpg IMG_5986_zps052c06b8.jpg IMG_5986_zps052c06b8.jpg
  2. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 23, 2014

Watch now SOLD elsewhere, quickest sale I think I have had this year and managed it with sporadic wifi from the Caribbean

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 23, 2014

Wow, that was fast! Congrats!