Forums Latest Members

FS: Omega Seamaster Ploprof 166.077 MK I 600M Cal 1002 1162

1. squarelug Dec 10, 2019

What I'm selling today I have a hard time letting go of but must get rid of to make room for another acquisition.

This is a bit of a project Ploprof. Single owner watch from Florida up until I bought it, nicely scratched, completely unpolished.

Ref #: 166.077

Diameter: 44 mm w/out crown, 55 mm w/crown, 46 mm lug to lug

Lug Width: 24 mm at the lugs tapering to 15 mm (will take a 24 mm bracelet)

Height: 19 mm

Power-reserve: 38 hours

Water Resistance: 600 meters

Gram Weight: 171 grams

Movement: Omega caliber 1002 automatic

Case

The factory finishing is present on the case. In my experience with Ploprofs it is challenging to find one where the case has not been overly polished, and I find overly polished cases annoying. While there are nicks and scratches, personally I think these add to the appeal. The complex factory brushing is all there. The button for releasing the crown works perfectly, too, as is often not the case with these.

Crystal

The mineral crystal is showing some scuffing and a slight chip on one side. Personally, I would replace this. In terms of what to expect, you can find a crystal for $250 or thereabouts.

Bezel

Original and uncracked. Hard to find these uncracked and new ones are about $800 USD (!!).

Dial

Blue with a nice color, good patina on original lumes, original orange hand color has faded to a yellow making this watch somewhat unique, very nice dial, the seconds hand was the only part replaced on this watch, it is a new OEM hand. If you wanted to source a better matching seconds hand you could, probably a few hundred on eBay. Parts for these are not that hard to find all things considered, as long as it's not a good case or bezel you're looking for.

Bracelet

Omega 1162 rare original bracelet to fit up to an 8" wrist. Given this was worn for years diving it is scuffed up and stretched. Might benefit from having some of the links restored though I would try to avoid polishing it personally.

Strap

I've sourced a NOS Omega Isofrane out of a retired watchmaker's collection which will be included in the sale. The strap does need springbars which I haven't sourced.

Movement

While the watch was serviced before I received it, I suspect the package was bumped during shipping and thus the watch will need a service. In this video - https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5x48vludiqkb79/IMG_8398.MOV?dl=0 - you can see how the seconds hand "sticks". Haven't fixed this because all the work on the watch should be done in one shot. I'd personally recommend getting a service and having the seconds hand replaced for something with a little more patina (you can find these on eBay), a new crystal (also eBay), and the movement looked at all in one shot.

I'm asking for 5500 USD net to me. I'll cover shipping. if you wish to work via paypal, please add 3%. Wires are fine too. Plenty of references available upon request including this, the most recent - https://omegaforums.net/threads/squarelug-great-seller.105931/

DSC_3668.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg IMG_9644.jpg IMG_9645.jpg

IMG_9643.jpg IMG_9646.jpg IMG_9647.jpg IMG_9648.jpg IMG_9649.jpg
    Edited Dec 10, 2019
    jaguar11, Lonestar, OMEGuy and 3 others like this.
  2. larryganz The cable guy Dec 10, 2019

FYI - I had a vintage Omega shipped and it had a sticking second hand (not quite as bad, but very similar), and it was a very simple adjustment/fix of the tension on the piƱon (or something like that) at my watchmaker for under $50 since it didn't need a service yet (due next summer). So, it may not be as bad as you think. I also think the case is in great shape for it's age. GLWS

3. simonsays Dec 10, 2019

I also like the case, and the original isoprene. The dial looks great, but it also looks contaminated by the rubber seal that sits on top of it, particularly at 11 o'clock and 3 o'clock. This may mean that the dial is not going to survive a service and will need replacing.

4. squarelug Dec 10, 2019

FYI the watch was serviced right before I got it and did just fine.

Even if that wasn't the case, if you know Ploprofs, you'll know that the black indent you're seeing at 11 oclock is not something that touches the dial in any way whatsoever.

Case in point -

IMG_9770.jpg

Spacefruit likes this.
  5. simonsays Dec 11, 2019

I am glad to see that the seal has not melted, as it appears in your previous pictures, and it is just the gasket that is perished.

I am sure that photo will reassure potential buyers.

These seals above and below the step ring often turn to tar, and run onto the dial if left too long. This is usually the end of said dial, something to be aware of if buying an unserviced watch.

Edited Dec 11, 2019
    JanV likes this.
  6. squarelug Dec 11, 2019

And here's 3 oclock

IMG_9773.jpg

7. OMEGuy Dec 11, 2019

That's exactly how a Ploprof should look like - a tool watch!

GLWS!

gefmey likes this.
  8. squarelug Dec 19, 2019

Bump

9. squarelug Dec 30, 2019

OHPF