Forums Latest Members
  1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 8, 2017

Greetings everyone,

Does anyone know the significance of the initials “PGF”, found on some Omega and Longines branded gold cases for the French market?

I’m assuming it refers to the case maker?

Here a thread posted on a French forum with pictures (including some from OF), but no reply whatsoever provided in the thread.
    Even an idiot questioning why anyone would care.
    Scroll down for the best pics.
    http://forumamontres.forumactif.com/t154793-boitier-omega-fabriques-en-france

Thanks and best regards,
    S

François Pépin and Seaborg like this.
  2. Vitezi Oct 8, 2017

3. François Pépin Oct 10, 2017

Hello,

It is a good question, and I would like to know the answer!

I have checked on the net and in lists of French jewlers, but could not find any interesting data. What is sure is that it is the logo (or hallmark) of a French maker producing 18k solid gold cases. It is also pretty clear that it is a big jewler, maybe like Dennison in England. Some people, on French forums, seem to think that PGF could be the general name of French makers. Actually, it could mean something like "Production Générale française". I do not think it is correct because it is the logo of a particular maker. But PGF could be the name of some sort of makers association or conglomerate.

By the way, the quality of the cased produced by PGF, whatever it is, is very good. Not only is it necessary 18k solid gold (it is mandatory in France: only 18k gold is gold!), but the making is very good.

Another interesting think is that these French made cases kept the old Omega logo untill the late 1950. They also kept using the old case serial numbering.

Edited Oct 10, 2017
    Seaborg likes this.
  4. Vitezi Oct 10, 2017

For posterity, here's a relevant picture shamelessly poached from the above link:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

It occurs to me that the <PGF> mark is a maker's mark required by French law to be stamped by the manufacturer on gold items such as jewelry. Perhaps the mark could be found in a registry of jewelry hallmarks. Does anyone know of a jeweler who specializes in vintage pieces? They may have such a guide.

[​IMG]

5. François Pépin Oct 10, 2017

Actually, the French law makes mandatory to have the proper hallmark. It has long been the eagle for 18k gold. The maker has to add his logo into a lozenge - for gold plate into a squarre. It is called a "poinçon de maitre". The logo must include the initials of the maker or of his company, and can also include a small drawing.

So PGF is clearly the logo of a maker, but there are many other. See for instance the logo of this (Cyma) French 18K gold case:

image.jpeg

Edited Oct 10, 2017
  6. Vitezi Oct 10, 2017

There must be a registration book containing all of the poinçon de maitre, something like this?
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

[​IMG]

TimeODanaos and marco like this.