Forums Latest Members
  1. frasatriani Sep 6, 2022

Hi Guys,
    I'm starting a FB / IG page about watches. Wanna know whether or not the photos shared in this formus can be utilized outside of the forum (like public) or not (to do an article maybe). Do I have to ask the photographer or there's a general rule?
    Thanks!
    Francesco

2. Syzygy Sep 6, 2022

Hi Francesco,

I would definitely ask the appropriate poster their permission before using any of their work, and would expect full credit to be noted in any post after permission has been granted as would be customary of use of any form of artwork.

Cheers!

frasatriani, MtV, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  3. vbrad26 Sep 6, 2022

I'll echo.
    You 100% absolutely should ask the photographer if you can use their photo.
    Assuming they say yes, then you also need to give them appropriate credit.
    This is pretty standard practice when using someone else's work on the internet...and beyond

4. Dan S Sep 6, 2022

I think it's a bit complicated, and depends on where the people reside. But generally, the person posting the photos owns the rights to it. You can use it with permission, or perhaps by "fair use" (e.g. for limited educational use). Please, note that this is not an actual legal opinion.

frasatriani likes this.
  5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 6, 2022

This question makes me realize that I should start watermarking my photos, much like Archer does. There was an earlier thread about turning off location data on your smartphone pictures, I need to do that as well.

No offence to the OP, it just got me thinking.

vbrad26, Syzygy and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  6. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Sep 6, 2022

Pardon my cynicism, but I am curious why you want to use photos that do not belong to you in the first place?
    There are a lot of hyped up watch instagram accounts fighting for attention, and with the number of incredible watches/collections shown over the years on this forum, contributing to countless images to be "borrowed", the only reason I can see for someone starting an instagram account now and wanting to use photos that do not belong to them is to garner likes, followers, and overall attention (possibly with the hopes of converting said attention to sponsorships(?)). Considering many photos belong to long inactive members, getting permission would be hard and then, many members, myself included, do not have Facebook and/or instagram, so giving full credit/tagging would be hard to do, making it easier to post under the false pretenses of ownership. Not long ago there was a member @killer67 doing that very thing within our own WRUW thread by recycling images from other members as their own. Until they got called out for doing so.

All that to say, I don't like the idea. No offense OP. I'd be happy to hear other reasons why.

frasatriani, DaveK, NGO1 and 2 others like this.
  7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 6, 2022

All good advice Dave!

Question, as the "Yoda of yodelers", what was Yoda's last name?

8. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 7, 2022

Well, there’s a question I’ve never pondered! Did Yoda have a last name?

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 7, 2022

Leahyhoo,

Yoda Leahyhoooooo!

Must've been Irish.

Edited Sep 7, 2022
    DaveK, Syzygy and MtnMarine like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 7, 2022

You may want to ask @dsio and @Trev about rules of photos from here. Technically they are all theirs once posted here if you read the fine print :whistling: They own the forum. Doing a splendid job I shall also add….

(Something like that, but they will explain.)

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 7, 2022

No what it says is any content published by Omegaforums, which includes anything we create is ours, so the videos we have created, any stories on the stories section, any content we create remains our intellectual property.

Anything posted by others, the owner of that copyright remains the copyright holder. However by posting images or text that you own and are the author of, you are allowing us the right to use, reproduce copy, and distribute etc, which is necessary for us to operate a forum because we need to be able to take the images you upload to the site and show it to other members as they view threads you posted it in.

Copyright never transfers to us, but in uploading work you own, you are permitting Omega Forums to use it as well, effectively granting us a license rather than ownership. That extends to things like us posting it on the OF social media pages linking back to this site, using it in articles we may produce etc.

That isn’t a legal opinion but is my understanding as a lay person having been run through it by a lawyer.

Now having said that, when I have used member’s images in the stories section (https://stories.omegaforums.net/) for articles I both credit the author by their username and I also make an effort to PM them all about it too because it’s a courtesy thing and to not do so is a bit scummy. Nobody has said no to it but if they did I would substitute out their images on the article.

gmmy775, STANDY, frasatriani and 2 others like this.
  12. frasatriani Sep 7, 2022

absolutely. I was wondering ther
    Thank you! absolutely. I was thinking also about a pilocy of the forum that allows/denies it

13. frasatriani Sep 7, 2022

Sure! thank you

14. frasatriani Sep 7, 2022

appreciated. general rule wants to ask permission and quote to be fully transparent :)

15. frasatriani Sep 7, 2022

thank you!

16. frasatriani Sep 7, 2022

No offense at all, disagreeing in a constructive and respectful way as you've done is useful and I thank you for that. The reasons are related to passion, discipline and business. Passion because I love watches and I'd like to speak about them, a model, a company; recycling public photo linked to an official website is not the best. I don't have many watches, that's why a nice photo of an Omega, Cartier or whatelse allows to catch attention and express a point. Discipline because starting a new page means creating contents, so I impose myself to study more the horology sector (history, models, movements, etc) and that's a personal goal i've set this year. Business because being able to speak properly about watches can help connecting with a certain public and I work in the real estate sector; I notice is a good way to make friends (and maybe deals?), like sports for example. I don't want to stole any photo; I hope to have properly answered to your questions and sorry for the lenght :)

17. frasatriani Sep 7, 2022

Very helpful thanks! Asking permission in this case should give me (when it will be) the chance to use it, citing the the owner, correct? thanks again