Forums Latest Members
  1. BatDad Jun 3, 2019

I was thinking about this over the weekend - I'm contemplating a homage to @ext1 recent Speedy Tuesday straight Lug mod.

I have a Mitsukoshi Speedy dial in a polished asymmetrical case. It's been bugging me for a while, and recently came upon a spare straight lug case - so am about to swap them out...

Which leads me to my thought - several years ago - I'd suggest Franken watches were somewhat frowned open - but as the resources available to us have increased (extracts, sp101, MWO Only etc), I'd argue it's now much easier to identify incorrect pieces - does this give us pause to reconsider franken's/Mods as somewhat acceptable.

For arguments sake - I'm considering Franken as period correct parts - as opposed to say a SeaMaster 321 in a Speedy.

As I type this - I wonder, What's the difference in terms of Franken, and Mod?

2. BenBagbag Jun 3, 2019

Semantics and value. Both rarely are worth more than an original, or at least worth less than the original value of the modded watch + cost of new parts. Mods are cool. I think @ext1 made an awesome straight lug Speedy Tuesday. But, he wouldn't get more for the watch because of it.

When it comes down to it, you'd probably get the value of watch as parts +/- however much it will cost to get it back to original condition. If we pretend that the original fully brushed case was not included in purchase, and it was unobtainable, then the watch value would probably be straight-lug case + whatever value the individual parts of the ST1 are worth to someone.

smorrisonmd and BatDad like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 3, 2019

Nothing.

4. RyMoeller Jun 3, 2019

I think "Franken" is the term most often used to describe a watch that is being passed off as original spec. "Mod" is used when the watch isn't original spec but the owner freely admits and takes pride in that fact.

5. dabbispade Jun 3, 2019

I think franken is a fake watch that has genuine parts - right ?
    Like a Omega PO with gen bezel/dial - that is a franken.

Please correct me if I am wrong here...

6. 321Only Jun 3, 2019

I would agree. Franken watches are original, matching parts put together to build a watch according to factory specs.
    Mods are all non-factory spec changes to a watch. (e.g. installing black hands on a speedy)

But that’s only my perspective on it.

7. BatDad Jun 3, 2019

Just seeing this now -

http://speedmaster101.com/blog/a-franken-speedmaster-on-ebay/

Optimizations - I quite like that term. Especially if it covers the parts renewals to enhance the aesthetic appeal of your watch.
    I’ve noticed a few recent sales posts where relumes and replacement hands are called out.
    If it not for the honesty of the sellers - I’m arguing some of these are very difficult to detect

Its becoming clearer to me that a Mod is a distinct category that is reasonably simple to verify - either by serial or extract

But Frankens still seems a very broad category.

Dbltap likes this.
  8. BatDad Jun 3, 2019

My only question here is - if the watch is factory spec - is there an issue? I might try and argue that in a sale scenario not if all parties are aware.

9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 3, 2019

A Franklin is something the last owner did that pisses you off.

A mod is something you did that will likely piss the next owner off.

guwipa, MRC, gostang9 and 8 others like this.
  10. silverbitz Jun 3, 2019

Classic!

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 3, 2019

I'm in this camp. For me, Franken implies something unscrupulous or misleading. A mod is just a swapping of parts done and described as such.

But from a purely pragmatic perspective, ....

BatDad likes this.
  12. Uscjake87 Jun 3, 2019

Mods to me are gen bezel swaps such as GMT 2 bezels on an explorer 2. Looks pretty cool, IMO.

Franken would be an untasteful mod that decreases value and makes you say: wtf? Mixing a dial, hands, and case just makes it confusing.

13. 321Only Jun 4, 2019

Either way and regardless of the individual understanding, both mods and Franken must clearly be stated when passing a timepiece

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 4, 2019

A Mod is something that creates a Franken.

Each to their own, buy what you like and do what you like to it.

BUT

Just remember, too much pissing in the pool, not everyone is going to want to swim as much :whistling:

Edited Jun 4, 2019
    Dbltap likes this.
  15. jsducote Jun 4, 2019

I don't think ALL frankens are necessarily fraudulent or done unscrupulously. What if there simply aren't original/NOS/authorized replacement parts to bring a watch back to life? Frankenstein's monster wasn't inherently bad, having been given life somewhat against its will. It just wanted to be happy and have someone love it. It should simply be disclosed as having other parts.

Seems to me like there should be a third category. Mods are done to intentionally change a watch, not intending to deceive. Frankens are pieces brought back to life, also not intending to deceive. The third category, something evil which disguises itself while hunting its prey, should be called a Pennywise.

16. dabbispade Jun 11, 2019

Agreed!

17. BatDad Jun 11, 2019

I dunno - I think franken suggests non matching- but original parts. So perhaps a 105 dial, a 145 movement, a 90s dial etc...

Original, age appropriate replacements - what’s the issue and how would we tell - aside from community honesty? So for example if a 321 needs a new symmetrical clutch bridge - do you ‘care’ where it came from or that that part is 1960s original?

My thought process is that we have original, serviced, franken and mod. Each distinct in their own right.

18. Dbltap Oct 29, 2020

Great discussion.
    Franken v Mod.

I think they differ by the level of changes made at a specific level.

I modded my 2500 42 PO with an adjustable clasp and regularly change my bezel between black and orange. The adjustable clasp is a “must in my opinion. Wrist swelling and comfort totally transformed how often I wore it. I am right now. Omega makes the absolute best adjustable clasp to date. I love the orange dial but saw no need to double up on POs to achieve it. After researching (rabbit hole) how to swap the bezel, sourcing a clean bezel, and time... Best of both worlds.

franken would be, for example, a dial, hand, or DW swap from a different model. I once saw a PO with sword hands. I absolutely adored it. I thought it was how they should have come from the factory rather than then the arrow hands. But that is opinion.

my view is “do what you like and make it your own”. This doesn’t just apply to watches. Just know the window for admiration and resale can narrow with each action.

19. chaw6125 Oct 29, 2020

What tool do you use to swap the bezels? I got one of those clamps with four blades on that people would use on an old submariner and it mangled a bezel when fitting a replacement.

20. Dbltap Oct 29, 2020

I did a diy. Taking the a look at the tool omega sells, I modified a hockey puck. Cut a hole to make a donut. Cut a slice of pie (maybe 1/8th). Clamped it on (hand strength wasn’t enough) . twist and pull. Worked like a charm! 15$ all in.