Forums Latest Members
  1. amulas89 Jun 23, 2015

Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago I found a vintage Omega while cleaning out my grandfathers house and had curiosity and doubt of its authenticity. I managed to get my hands on a watch repair kit and decided to open the Omega to check if it is the real deal.
    This watch is really important to me and I would really like to know more about it so any information would be appreciated

Thanks!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Edited Jun 23, 2015
  2. SeanO Jun 23, 2015

well, if that's the real deal..... "Touchdown!!"

Old and Vintage and Eric_navi like this.
  3. Eric_navi Jun 23, 2015

what a find!

authentic and a beautiful example, all parts look correct, i'd be curious to see more photos of the dial as it looks like there is an oily residue around the bottom subdial and on the bottom of the dial by 6 and 7 o'clock? and perhaps a closeup of the hands to get a better look at the lume.

what do you plan to do with this watch? if you're going to keep it you should have it serviced ASAP.

Edited Jun 23, 2015
    Old and Vintage likes this.
  4. amulas89 Jun 23, 2015

Thank you Eric, I'll try to get you some closer pictures. I really like it as it is, its a little banged up but I think it gives it a true vintage look. Maybe I would change the glass since its a bit scratched, however I was warned not to fix it at an Omega desler because they would replace some parts. Do you have any suggestions?

5. Eric_navi Jun 23, 2015

you can try polishing the crystal with some polywatch, it will clean it up a lot, but a new crystal will make the dial sing

i wouldn't do a thing except for get it cleaned up, serviced, and fit new pushers.
    i normally don't like green lume but in this case the lume on the hands goes quite nicely. i'd leave as is

there are plenty of recommendations for great watchmakers here... it really depends where you are located?

amulas89 and travisrock like this.
  6. Bienne2998 Jun 23, 2015

Wow - it is really great. Even parts like dust cover, adjustment index and clutch lever bridge are still original. Movement number fits perfectly to a 2998-6. Not to speak from dial and original alpha hands (the later with triangular lume).
    just fantastic.
    There seems to be some corrosion on the upper side of the inner case. I would give the watchtto a watchmaker who is used to vintage watches and tell him exactly what you want him to do and what NOT.

Go check site www.speedmaster101.com for more infos.

amulas89 and travisrock like this.
  7. travisrock Jun 23, 2015

wow. beautiful.

IIRC the chrono hand isn't correct for this reference, but kind of a moot point in lieu of everything else already mentioned. Lucky dog!

amulas89 likes this.
  8. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 23, 2015

Hi Amulas.
    Glad you took my advice and posted the pics here.
    Now just wait till the heavyweights show up.

amulas89 likes this.
  9. Bienne2998 Jun 23, 2015

I am not sure about that. Spear chrono hand is correct for this reference and the lume seems to have aged the same way as the lume of the hour and minute hand - so in my eyes it could be fine.

well - what you have is a $ 12 k watch!

Old and Vintage and amulas89 like this.
  10. Wongo Jun 23, 2015

Very nice example of the watch. Yummy::popcorn::

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 23, 2015

Beautiful piece, great heirloom to have! You planning on keep it or selling it?

12. amulas89 Jun 23, 2015

Thanks everyone! For the moment I'm planning on keeping it. I live in Mexico so not really sure if any of you guys know a watchmaker here

Old and Vintage likes this.
  13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 23, 2015

I can't believe the lack of replies to the OP's post so I'm bumping this up. Maybe most people missed it?

amulas89 likes this.
  14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 23, 2015

It is a nice watch. If the subject line read "found speedmaster 2998-6", it would probably get more interest.

As far as I can tell, all the parts are correct. Lugs look nice. It all seems to match age-wise. It looks like a nice clean example.

Great find, and as Bienne2998 says, probably at least a $12K USD watch.

15. E-diddy Jun 23, 2015

Wow, great story. This is a definitely an amazing find. Take her to the spa, get her serviced (I wouldn't replace anything or polish the case).

If you change the title to "2998-6" you might be more interest than you bargained for ;)

amulas89 likes this.
  16. repoman Jun 23, 2015

Awesome speedy. I want to be the kind of grandfather that leaves little surprises like this in old boxes.

Giff2577, bazamu and Eric_navi like this.
  17. ock2915 Jun 23, 2015

Fantastic find , really nice :thumbsup:, congratulations

amulas89 likes this.
  18. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 23, 2015

Awesome find. This reference just went for big bucks on Ebay and is only getting more expensive by the month. Watch really looks great!

amulas89 likes this.
  19. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 23, 2015

Very, very jealous. Awesome find!

amulas89 likes this.
  20. emilio Jun 23, 2015

Man would be awesome to find such a watch in my grandfathers house someday ;-)