Found an old Omega Seamaster 1020 in an old house but.. question about authenticity

hi, I found this old omega from an my mother's old house (basically grandparent's house)
however, I have questions about its authenticity, I have found most of these Omega seamasters with 1020 movement in either Stainless Steel case with silver/white dial, or Gold case with Gold/yellowish dial, and quite very few with Stainless Steel case with Gold dial.

My question is, did omega release a stainless steel case with gold dial during the 70s and early 80s where this model belongs or was this already swapped?

The first image with round crystal was the one I found, (the date wheel is silver because I mistakenly ordered the wrong color as the original which is gold is not working properly and I replaced it with a new one albeit having the wrong color)

the second one with square crystal was another I saw auctioned in catawiki and another one in ebay with SS case and Gold dial

anyone old enough to remember if Omega released these variant color during the early 80s and late 70s?

thanks!!

omega 1020.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 10.02.57 AM.png

Hi. I do not know to respond exactly at your question but maybe if you open the watch and google after the exact reference number of the watch from the case back you will narrow your search. Personally I seen other examples of other models of Omega watches in stainless steel with golden dial so I assume that this watch is not franken. Anyway is a very nice watch, so enjoy it.

Hi. I do not know to respond exactly at your question but maybe if you open the watch and google after the exact reference number of the watch from the case back you will narrow your search. Personally I seen other examples of other models of Omega watches in stainless steel with golden dial so I assume that this watch is not franken. Anyway is a very nice watch, so enjoy it.

thanks for your response, I already tried it, it's 266.0216, usually the result is all silver, or all gold, with probably 2-3 images with gold dial in SS case. The thing is, the all silver, and all gold types has the same 266.0216 case reference number.

The usual combination for 2 toned for other omega models or even rolexes that I see are SS case, gold dial, with gold crown, or sometimes with two toned bracelet, this one, it's just the dial that's gold, as well as the square one that I saw on ebay and catawiki auction, which makes it confusing, though I have seen seikos with SS case and Gold dial and hour markers and hands and silver for everything

266.0216 - are you sure of those numbers?

A leading 2 means Gents jewellery watch, not a great description for the OP watch. I have never actually seen that on a caseback. As Al suggests, double check that case number. It is way more likely to be 166.0216. Search on that and you get lots of similar looking hits.
Edited:

I can't comment on your particular watch re-model number but back in the 50's - 70's many brands of watches offered gold colored dials and hands/markers on stainless watches. I love the look. 👍

I can't comment on your particular watch re-model number but back in the 50's - 70's many brands of watches offered gold colored dials and hands/markers on stainless watches. I love the look. 👍

i noticed that also based on the photos that I checked, I saw vintage seikos with Stainless steel case in gold dial including hand and hour indices, also I saw probably a few rolexes, not to be mistaken with patina'ed dial that looks gold. I knew it is possible but somehow, it's driving me crazy not being able to validate if the combination really existed

Thanks anyway! 😀

i noticed that also based on the photos that I checked, I saw vintage seikos with Stainless steel case in gold dial including hand and hour indices, also I saw probably a few rolexes, not to be mistaken with patina'ed dial that looks gold. I knew it is possible but somehow, it's driving me crazy not being able to validate if the combination really existed

Thanks anyway! 😀

It might be tough to validate dial styles and colors aside from seeing other similar examples in the flesh or online. Omega and some other brands don't always mention dial colors when one researches via factory archives. Years back there was a debate on another forum about datejusts and 6694's all stainless with gold dials being factory produced and once an avalanche of other members starting posting their similar examples the matter was put to rest. Dollars to donuts your example posted is exactly how it left the factory. 👍

It might be tough to validate dial styles and colors aside from seeing other similar examples in the flesh or online. Omega and some other brands don't always mention dial colors when one researches via factory archives. Years back there was a debate on another forum about datejusts and 6694's all stainless with gold dials being factory produced and once an avalanche of other members starting posting their similar examples the matter was put to rest. Dollars to donuts your example posted is exactly how it left the factory. 👍

Thanks!! Certainly my first thought upon first seeing it until my watchmaker put some doubt on my mind after picking it up from service. 👎.

I just hope someone would post something similar or someone who has the same omega variant speaks up

my watchmaker put some doubt on my mind

A couple of years ago I bought a Constellation from a fairly busy watchmaker's shop for cheap. He discounted the watch because as explained it was hard to sell a watch that has an owner's name printed on the dial. The dial was signed Turler...

A couple of years ago I bought a Constellation from a fairly busy watchmaker's shop for cheap. He discounted the watch because as explained it was hard to sell a watch that has an owner's name printed on the dial. The dial was signed Turler...

Turler! double signed dials are kinda special. So I guess the moral lesson is not all watchmakers know everything as he assumed it was the owner's name 😉