Found a bottle of whisky in the celler - any good?

Online pricing for an old bottle of Lagavulin 16 is in the hundreds of dollars (e.g. here).

Lagavulin 16 is probably about $100-$120 at your local store. As noted above, it does not age in the bottle, so don't pay extra for the deteriorated cork. ;-)

I think I will have some tonight in honor of this thread, although it looks like I will need a new bottle afterwards.

Like 11
Lava is great. Neck is full so no loss or oxidation. Should be an excellent dram.

Like 2
I always have a bottle on hand. Drink and enjoy

20221020_235039.jpg

Like 4
So, um, last week I poured out approximately 1/5 of a bottle of Lagavulin. Seriously. I love smoky single malts yet they’re a winter tipple only for me (always with a wee splash of water). Thing is I find I can only get through a couple of drams at one sitting, however. The stuff lasts me a long time. Sadly, this was too long. Like 8 years. It tasted awful and it had to go. I almost cried.

As @Foo2rama outlined, as long as air hasn’t disturbed the alcohol, you should be fine. It won’t age anymore once bottled but airtight and you’re good to go!

Open whiskey has a shelf life of only a year or two at the most. If there’s too much air in the bottle, it’ll spoil. This was verified by my local booze merchant who is a savant when it comes to booze. Fortunately, my bottle of Ardbeg which I opened a few years ago is almost full. I’ll be draining that one very soon.

Nice find. Bottoms up and enjoy!

Like 5
150 bux a bottle!! why haven't i seen this at my local refilling station.
You sir have broadened my horizons!
The next single malt I buy will definitely be a 16 year old Lagavulin.
I remember back in 2014 I saw a bottle of Johnny Walker Black for sale for the equivalent of about US$1200.00, its all about the Hype and exclusivity ( I was in North East China at the time shopping in a High Street shop equivalent of Macy's ( Shen ye Chang)

Like 1
Very happy for you, I say through my gnashing teeth. In addition to my father’s Cartier tank watches that he left to me but ended up in someone else’s pockets, my inheritance from my mother includes this birth year wine bottle with contents sadly not included. I actually had a chance to buy another bottle* from 1971 for about $200 recently and am still kicking myself for not doing so. I am doing inheritance all wrong somehow.9A89CFDA-1E32-4B33-B046-A75C23E0DE3C.jpeg

* Presumably with the wine still in it
$200 a steal for a 71 l’angelus

Like 2
Laga 16 is superb
I’d be drinking it
Edited:

Like 1
Back in the 90’s, my ex and I would travel to Calgary for Christmas. The Province of Alberta privatized its liquor stores (the Premier loved his booze) and I used to buy Lagavulin, Oban, Bowmore, Macallan etc for anywhere from $38-$45 a bottle. Yes, Canadian dollars. Those were the days. Now things are back to normal. Here in BC, we pay the highest liquor taxes in North America. Lagavulin 8 year is a hundred bucks. 16 year is $155.

Like 2
Back in the 90’s, my ex and I would travel to Calgary for Christmas. The Province of Alberta privatized its liquor stores (the Premier loved his booze) and I used to buy Lagavulin, Oban, Bowmore, Macallan etc for anywhere from $38-$45 a bottle. Yes, Canadian dollars. Those were the days. Now things are back to normal. Here in BC, we pay the highest liquor taxes in North America. Lagavulin 8 year is a hundred bucks. 16 year is $155.

Yeah, demand for whisky has gone absolutely nuts and the lag between a massive surge in demand and the ability to supply (with age statements being so highly prized) has exacerbated upward pressure on pricing… So, strangely, that increase in price you’ve quoted on Laga makes it even more of a bargain now than it was in the 90s (relative to the rest of the market). And it has maintained quality, which plenty of other producers haven’t… ie Laphroaig quarter cask currently is a not as good as the 10yo was a decade ago…
Edited:

Like 3
Thanks for all the answers.

As you probably already know, once bottled, unlike wine, it doesn’t age. If the bottle is well sealed, it will last forever and you’ll have the perfect dram of Islay malt every time.

I didn’t know that :oops: I have never really dived into the whisky hole, even though I like it, I am more a beer and wine guy.

16 years is a standard bottling, which sells for about $100. But older bottles of scotch can sell for a lot more. So you’d have to do some research.

From what I read the bottles from White Horse Distillers in Glasgow, which this is, do seem to be valued higher than non-white horse bottles.
This is one of the best threads on the theme, 'Can anyone tell me about what I found in my parent's house?" :D

I found some other stuff as well. My father died 6 years ago but spend the last 40+ years of his life going to various garage sales and flea markeds every weekend getting up at 4am so he could be there when they set up and get the good stuff. My mother is now stuck with all the stuff (shit) in the basement. Tons of old books, some vinyl records (most, several hundred, was destroyed in a flooding 10 years ago), some old photo gear, lots of old photos and paintings, old magazines.

I found a nice old wooden case for a Margolin .22 cal. The gun was sold years ago but I guess the case was forgotten in the proces. Thought about converting in into a watch case.

Like 4
From what I read the bottles from White Horse Distillers in Glasgow, which this is, do seem to be valued higher than non-white horse bottles.

"Valued" higher? You may have been reading too many articles about watch investing. ;)

It's good Scotch, but Lagavulin 16 is a commodity, not an investment, regardless of where it is bottled. This is not some special one-off bottling. If you're not a Scotch drinker, it will make a nice gift.

Like 2
"Valued" higher? You may have been reading too many articles about watch investing. ;)

It's good Scotch, but Lagavulin 16 is a commodity, not an investment, regardless of where it is bottled. This is not some special one-off bottling. If you're not a Scotch drinker, it will make a nice gift.
Indeed. Unless there are no more casks to be tapped, the flavor is unmatched and whispers of “unobtanioum, but I know an old master distiller who….” are heard among whisky cognoscenti, this is just a nice smoky bottle.

I know it is not going to finance my next purchase (unless it’s a 52mm Invicta) but still if it could be appreciated more by another I would sell it :)

The 16 YO is $165 here in Ontario...

Like 2
The 16 YO is $165 here in Ontario...
Wow! I did not realize Ontario has a variable rate on alcohol; most provinces have a flat tax. Indeed, it's Canada, not just BC as I indicated that charges more for alcohol than pretty much anywhere. Unless you're ordering a stiff cocktail in NYC, that is. With our present exchange rate that's a $30 drink.

Upon further investigation it seems that, depending on the tipple, when shopping at a liquor store we pay up to twice what our American friends do for the same product.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that Scotch ages in the bottle. I think the aging is all done in barrels before bottling. So it is still a 16-year Scotch.

I have not read the whole thread but I have drunk old bottles of whisky. One was just a blend but priced in shillings and pence, I still have the bottle. I had some single malts given me in 2021 (not major brands) but around 30-40 years old. I dont think the taste will change much and you might loose some to the angels share - but the price can be a lot more than a modern bottle for some reason - especially if it has a different label. I found that out after I drunk it :0( - Worth checking any older bottle to see its value before you open it (Having said that in the UK it is a pain to sell aside from at auction)

Upon further investigation it seems that, depending on the tipple, when shopping at a liquor store we pay up to twice what our American friends do for the same product.

$165 CAD is about $120 USD, so I don't see too much of a difference in this case.