Forums Latest Members
  1. ibis888 Feb 21, 2016

Do you prefer selling a watch on eBay or in the sales forum?

What are the pros and cons of each?

I know there are additional fees on eBay, but there's also more exposure..

2. WatchVaultNYC Feb 21, 2016

Forum sales are better. It's a more intelligent community, and of course no Ebay fees which can go to the hundreds of dollars.

KstateSkier and Andy K like this.
  3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 21, 2016

I have used both and prefer forums in 9 cases out of 10. When I get impatient and need funds soon I use eBay for a no reserve auction, that way you know it will sell. But the fees and risk of scams make the forums much more attractive than eBay.

Privateday7 and efauser like this.
  4. danomar Feb 21, 2016

You buy the seller as much as the watch. Forums are almost always better than for-profit dealers or websites. You often get to make a new friend in the bargain, too, something I think is worth more than any attempt at a warranty.

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 21, 2016

For me, the sales forum here on OF is far and away the least stressful. :thumbsup:

bigdubnick likes this.
  6. cristos71 Feb 21, 2016

Totally agree with this, a fair and level playing field for both parties.

Darlinboy likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 21, 2016

Maybe for the buyer and the seller :p

LouS, bigdubnick, Darlinboy and 2 others like this.
  8. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 21, 2016

Depends on what, why, I am selling...if I want to liquidate pretty fast ithe eBay route...you seem to get more exposure...and if you do an auction you will know it will sell....but on the flip ....eBay fees and PayPal eat up 15% which is a lot

So I prefer to sell on forum sales although sometimes sell for less then eBay , I usually have more money in my pocket at the end of a forum sell

If I am buying I almost always buy forum because priced less than eBay

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2016

Shonksters dont last long on the forum. They breed on the bay like rabbit's ;)

10. ibis888 Feb 21, 2016

Sounds like a pretty strong consensus!

I'm new in the world, but the forums seem like a far superior place to sell to me as well.

I know I much prefer it for buying watches.

11. lillatroll Feb 22, 2016

I have never sold anything but my first port of call is always the forums. Even if a watch I would like is not there, the W.LT.B thread or asking some members directly can yield results. The biggest reason for buying on a forum is being able to trust the seller, both in terms of prices and getting an honest watch.

12. James90 Feb 22, 2016

E-bay cannot be used by everyone, so its quite difficult to use if you are newbie. So initially forum sales are more effective since you are not aware of e-bay sale strategies. Learn and do post your listings on E-bay.

13. uvalaw2005 Feb 22, 2016

I prefer forum sales and purchases by far, both because you are dealing with a more intelligent and sophisticated subset of the population, and there's often a more robust feedback/reputation system than the simple +/- of eBay. That said, eBay can be great for buyers because you can sometimes use your superior knowledge to get a good deal, and great for sellers because the exposure is so much broader. Danger is that when the counter-party is less sophisticated/intellligent, you don't always know what you're getting into.

KstateSkier likes this.
  14. KstateSkier Feb 22, 2016

Having recently made a purchase on this forum I felt so much better about buying here with guys who have positive feedback and a history of selling genuine pieces than some joe on Ebay. Support your Omega forum, its warm and fuzzy here.

15. Faz Feb 22, 2016

I rarely use eBay these days. very risky for sellers IMO and it has become very expensive (fees and crappy currency exchange rates with PP) and a hassle. I was victim of 3 gratuitous chargebacks and it was a total pain to resolve those issues.
    Plus you have to deal with humanity....:eek:

Members of this forum are a knowledgeable and tighter knight community. It's much easier to weed out the riff raff and if any kind of issue arises, its much easier to resolve any problem that may occur. But again...use common sense and due diligence as you might not always deal with regular forum members...Scammers prey on the forums as well but they have become much easier to spot if you do your homework properly.

Cheers,

Edited Feb 22, 2016
    watchknut and KstateSkier like this.
  16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 22, 2016

Well I just notched up another Forum Sale and i must say I do not see myself using ebay for a while.

All I can say is thank you to the Mods, who I believe spend a disproportionate time spanking the misbehavior in the sale fora.

17. Faz Feb 22, 2016

+1

18. demollo Feb 22, 2016

I go with different watches forums buys/sells everytime. Never used ebay for expensive purchases.

19. GregH Feb 22, 2016

I'm pretty new to this community, but have already made one nice purchase through the forum (thanks @peatnick ) and have gotten connected with a good watch resource for opinions and repair in my local area (thanks @shane0mack ). I previosuly paid my "noob tax" on ebay (fortunately for very little money) and would happily make purchases on the forum in the future. My level of knowledge is relatively limited and I'll feel more secure here . I'm also pretty sure I'd ask opinions here before a future ebay purchase.

uvalaw2005, ahartfie and peatnick like this.
  20. Tubber Feb 23, 2016

I have bought 6 or 7 watches from the Forum and find it a lot easier and hassle free compared with Ebay. I have yet to sell any.