Forums Latest Members

Forum Intro: Speedy Pro as Heirloom Gift

1. bubbie Mar 27, 2017

(edit): First off, I am not a Jewish grandma for those of you familiar with my handle. :)

I've been reading over this forum, learning about the Speedmaster for the past few months. Fell in love with this watch and it's storied past earlier this year and decided to pickup a ref 311.30.42.30.01.005 for a first birthday/heirloom gift to my son. Tough to get an exact year read on these new ref's (Omega told me 2014-2017), but the box says 2016, so I'll go with it. I figure I'll borrow it for the next ~25 years and give it to him as a college graduation gift with a picture of him playing with it as a one year old (in astronaut PJ's of course).

fullsizeoutput_8ff.jpeg

I received a Breitling Superocean as a graduation gift about 12 years ago, so I'm looking forward to continuing the tradition.

I've always been passionate about astronomy and work in the space industry today (satellites), so I was very drawn to this watch's history in space.

I was torn between the .001 and .005 as I really like the Omega Alligator, but decided I'd want the original bracelet. After getting the bracelet sized, I'm very happy with my decision, I really like it. I have two Bulag & Sons straps on order to play around with as well.

Beauty!

fullsizeoutput_907.jpeg

Thanks for all the awesome info over the past few months. Cool to see a community so passionate about this piece!

Next up: Hunt for a 1982 something for my birth year... :)

ACTmike, dialstatic, joerg and 20 others like this.
  2. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 27, 2017

Hello & Welcome to the OF!!

Thats a great thing to do and best of all you get to wear it so when he receives it, it has some amazing stories to tell. The speedy pro is such a great watch to own in the new reference.

Stick about we are a great bunch of people and you will learn a lot along the way and prob buy more...

Don't say 'no you won't' because there will be a load of people standing by with 'we told you so'

Rgds

D

Tritium, Jwit and oddboy like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 27, 2017

Great introduction! And such a great tradition to keep alive in your family.

Welcome aboard!

Tritium and Jwit like this.
  4. alam Mar 27, 2017

great choice! and we can only guess the thoughts of the little one as he carefully inspects his future watch! ... and welcome!

:)

baby2.png
    Jwit likes this.
  5. speedolex Mar 27, 2017

Leave him the BMW too. M-Sport, paddle shifters, will appreciate more than the Omega too.

chows99 likes this.
  6. bubbie Mar 27, 2017

@speedolex ha! Impressive eye! I assume you mean he will appreciate, not the car will appreciate... Although, it is a diesel, should run forever!

speedolex likes this.
  7. speedolex Mar 27, 2017

[​IMG]

Speedmasters and BMWs like each other. Here's mine on a leather strap.

Like you, I bought it with the intention of giving it to one of my sons.

Tritium and Jwit like this.
  8. WatchWarlock Mar 27, 2017

Congrats! Wonderful choice. Now you just wait and hope he decides an alternative career/educational path. :p

9. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Mar 27, 2017

This is my favorite kind of watch story. Welcome to OF @bubbie .... you will always be a Jewish grandmother in my mind :thumbsup:

10. chows99 Mar 27, 2017

Indeed I love stories about passing on our watches to our children and grandchildren. An Omega Moonwatch is a great & fitting heirloom!

11. LemansBoiler Mar 27, 2017

Congrats and great story. I'm breaking a Speedy Pro in for my son also.

My plan is to keep it a secret that I'm going to gift it to him. I'm taking periodic pictures of him with it, as he gets older I'm going to have to be more secretive, arm around the shoulder, etc. As he's 16 mo old now I don't have to hide it yet, which is good cause these little guys are skirmy and i need several tries to get a good picture.

speedolex likes this.
  12. roryoc11 Mar 27, 2017

Welcome @bubbie, this is a great idea and even better justification to buy more watches now!

@LemansBoiler may I recommend a perlon strap for a good photo, works really well for my 3 month old's teeny tiny wrists.
    IMG_8600.JPG

Rodmar, speedolex and Jwit like this.
  13. U5512 Mar 27, 2017

Awesome and a superb heirloom watch!!!

14. SteveHarris Mar 29, 2017

Lovely thing to do OP. I'd love to do the same... just need to get a son from somewhere. Must be an AD for that somewhere in London :D

Jwit likes this.
  15. shutterlife Mar 29, 2017

Good choice. I did the same, except I only have a daughter, so I bought her a CK2998 with her birth year LE #. I need to get a picture of it on her wrist before she gets old enough to remember it's hers.

LemansBoiler and Jwit like this.
  16. bubbie Mar 29, 2017

@shutterlife love that idea! How do you select a LE#? Can an AD make that request? Very cool.

@SteveHarris I'm sure you can, lots kids looking for a home! Definitely avoid the gray market...

17. shutterlife Mar 29, 2017

When it was released, I requested the number from my OB, and was approved to get it.

18. SteveHarris Mar 30, 2017

@bubbie good point... I don't want to end up with a frankenchild.

19. nygiants Apr 2, 2017

That absolutely is a beautiful idea to put a picture of him playing with the watch for his graduation later on... Speedy is probably the best watch to give...Don't see any other better options maybe patek