Forums Latest Members

Forum Appreciation Day: Spacefruit, Archer, Desmond, the owners/mods...

1. M'Bob Oct 30, 2018

Let's be honest: this forum is a fun place to visit. And while it's mostly about horology, I'm amazed that other topics have been seamlessly broached, such as humor, fine drinks and dining, cars, mental illness, death, and relationship issues. How likely is it to go to one place, and know that you can cover issues that pertain to 90% of your life? That's pretty unusual.

And with that, have to go the thanks. Everyone here contributes something meaningful, but of course for each of us, there are those particular people that make it extra rewarding. A shout out to them, and sincere apologies to anyone I've missed; they will be added in an edit later. Please chime in with the folks that you would like to express your gratitude for:

Spacefruit: a humble gentleman, who tirelessly and accurately owns, maintains, and contributes to Speedmaster 101, which is interesting and thought-provoking, and has saved so many of us a ton of money and grief by its education.

Archer: why has my watch stopped? What part goes here? Does this need to be fixed? How often has Al fielded these questions with a completeness and authority that engenders total confidence and assurance? We are all so lucky to have his expertise on this forum, that he shares without hesitation.

Desmond: like Speedmaster 101, his Omega Constellation website is just staggeringly encyclopedic and enjoyable to visit. Another incredible resource that we are all so fortunate to have access to.

And finally, the owners/mods.: I've visited so many watch-related sites, and this is by far the easiest to navigate, use, and the layout leaves almost nothing to criticize. They have done a superb job, without any advertisements to defray the costs, and for this I am sincerely appreciative.

Thanks to all,

Bob

2. Nathan1967 Oct 30, 2018

Well said @M’Bob , I couldn’t agree more!

Pun, Riviera Paradise, MikiJ and 2 others like this.
  3. M'Bob Oct 30, 2018

Thanks kindly.

4. BenBagbag Oct 30, 2018

I have benefited greatly from all the help of the forum titans. I am very appreciative as well. Especially to the forum veterans, many of whom function as mods in some way, for having seen so many damn watches that they always have something to contribute.

Thanks for making this forum fun, insightful, and meaningful. I am particularly struck by those sharing struggles with mental health or family and those who share the loss of a loved one or a job. These people are courageous, even behind a screen, and it does make this place more than a website. It feels like a community. :thumbsup:

Now if you'd just tell me which strap I should put on my Speedmaster... :D

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 30, 2018

A special place indeed! Thanks to all!

6. Willem023 Oct 30, 2018

Please: an extra 'thanks' for @Alpha, who makes this Forum a place of humanity too!

My2goldencoins

W

Riviera Paradise, Alpha, Pun and 8 others like this.
  7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 30, 2018

The Forum offers the very best of all of the things a hobby forum is suppose to offer the enthusiast.

The depth and breadth of Omega brand content means the Forum is a priceless reference.

The educational value offered on other watch brands makes makes the Forum a valuable resource and the manner in which other watch brands are respected and celebrated is gratifying.

Other hobbies and interests are welcomed with space is provided for discussion.

The Forum is packed with learning opportunities on watch design and mechanics, watch maintenance, and watch lore.

Moderators are attentive, maintaining control decisively and maturely without being unpleasantly authoritative.

The Forum is so seamlessly simple to use.

The regular Forum denizens are diverse, mature (at least most of the time and when it really counts), erudite, and very droll. The members make the Forum and this forum is engaging. One can come to know folks through their forum participation to a surprising degree after reading their posts for a time. Forum members who by their posts are found to appeal will generally be found to be even more heartwarming when met in person. There's a flip side to that though. Those who appear to be jerks are frequently even more disappointing in person.

Riviera Paradise, Syrte, Pun and 10 others like this.
  8. alam Oct 30, 2018

Bob, glad you were there to cover all the bases for the rest of us! :thumbsup: and yes, you forgot about me! a place that allows posting all my bad jokes! :p

Edited Oct 31, 2018
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 30, 2018

My list is long, Warren, Dennis, Evan, Steve, Norman.....I could go on for quite a bit and still miss someone important.

Let me shout out to just one special friend, someone that will and has done so much for me, the forum, his family and his Country.
    A true friend that makes time to help with a smile, regardless of the challenges he is dealing with.

My hat's off to you, Jim (@JimInOz), my Brother that I've never met!

Good thread, Bob, great way to start the Holidays!

10. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Oct 30, 2018

@M'Bob...great thread. And let me add your name to the list of those who make this place a fun place to visit. I always enjoy your posts. :thumbsup:

Riviera Paradise, M'Bob and alam like this.
  11. M'Bob Oct 30, 2018

Thank you very much, Mike. Nice of you to say that.

blufinz52 likes this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 30, 2018

Aw shucks Jimbo, you nearly made me tear up ;). Although we are only "virtual mates", I feel that I share a closer bond with you than some people I've know for many years, so I'm sending a big man hug your way.

As to the list of people who make this place what it is, I think @UncleBuck has hit the nail on the head, my list would also be quite long as there are so many members here that contribute to our little community, some quite often, some not so often, but always positively (even if some of their jokes are lame :D).

We also come from many lands, speak many languages, have different traditions and customs, different political views and different religious beliefs, and yet we, for the main part (99.99999%) get along on perfect harmony.

Why can't the rest of the world be like us?

13. jumpingsecond Oct 30, 2018

@ConElPueblo for helping to steer us wee ones through our first nights...

14. Vitezi Oct 30, 2018

15. repoman Oct 30, 2018

Well said, I've made several good friends through this forum, and, it has increased my enjoyment of this quirky hobby ten-fold easily, and I've learned so much from the community here for which I could never give back enough to say thank you.

Edited Nov 2, 2018
    Riviera Paradise, M'Bob and sdre like this.
  16. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Oct 30, 2018

Amen! You splendid chaps on this forum are a fountain of knowledge that irrigates my horological desert.::shy::

17. boogedyboo Oct 30, 2018

This is the only forum on which I regularly read and contribute. Thanks a lot to all the aforementioned people and the moderators for making this a wonderful sanctuary on the dark and dangerous web :thumbsup:

Riviera Paradise and M'Bob like this.
  18. Ssunnylee24 Oct 30, 2018

Well said!
    I appriciate all the work behind to get this site running. The best user friendly forum and one I call “home” watch forum of all.

Riviera Paradise, M'Bob and Pun like this.
  19. nurseford25 Oct 31, 2018

Agreed! I’ve been in here for years and I’ve learned a lot from many people here. I’m very happy to be a part of such a great community. Thank you all.

Riviera Paradise and M'Bob like this.
  20. ConElPueblo Oct 31, 2018

...In the wrong direction :D