Forums Latest Members
  1. texasmade Nov 17, 2019

I think it was more to do with the fact that the season is over so he can take more risks. If the WDC were still on the line, I don’t think Lewis takes the risk of crashing someone out or even pitting for that matter. I see him just taking 3rd and the points. He’s normally pretty cautious when he drives now to avoid crashes and losing points.

2. simonsays Nov 18, 2019

I can’t think of one example of Lewis being cautious and taking safe points over position ever?

He very rarely makes a mistake but that’s because he is an exceptional driver.

marco likes this.
  3. Wivac Terribly special Nov 18, 2019

First Renault and now Haas making exit stage left noises? No one willing to sell Haas entire chunks of car for the new regs?

4. simonsays Nov 18, 2019

As the season closes what is your pick of the current driver talent. Here is my top ten if I had a team with seats to fill. Based on current form and performance, not cost or availability.

1 Lewis Hamilton
    2 Max Verstappen
    3 Daniel Riccardo
    4 Charles Le Clerc
    5 Valteri Bottas
    6 Carlos Sainz
    7 Ocon
    8 Albon
    9 G Russell
    10 P Gasley

marco likes this.
  5. Socks Nov 18, 2019

Verstappen looking really strong. Looking forward to next year if Redbull & TorroRoso can really get that Honda engine singing. Doesn't seem that long ago when McLaren were hanging out Honda to dry. Testament to RB & TR that they are an adaptable, forward thinking race team.

6. texasmade Nov 18, 2019

Malaysia 2017 comes to mind when he took pole but didn’t even bother fighting Max for the win. Max over took him and Lewis didn’t put up any fight. He was happy to come in 2nd and build up a bigger lead over Vettel.

7. simonsays Nov 18, 2019

I guess you could look at it like that and I agree he did not appear to put up a big fight to defend his position.

I don’t think he could have stopped Verstappen though as he was almost a second per lap quicker at that stage of the race. How hard he defended may well have been evaluated as a bad risk in that situation, as the overtake was inevitable, and delaying it risked his world title hopes. Or maybe he was caught napping, only Ham knows.

8. MRC Nov 18, 2019

I think it was Jackie Stewart who said "The secret to winning championships is to eliminate things that can prevent you." (haven't managed to track down a source though). Tangoing with Max is something that could well stop you. Let him go off and tango with someone else and let them take the damage.

If ever Max learns this -- Oh Boy!

9. vbrad26 Dec 5, 2019

Saw this picture. The Doctor looking fancy with the GMT.

[​IMG]

MTROIS and Wivac like this.
  10. simonsays Dec 8, 2019

I saw that they are swapping transport for the day. I wonder who will be more off the pace?

I think Rossi looks more like a GOAT in this pic. Baah!!!

11. simonsays Dec 10, 2019

Media silence on the swap. Too much pilot/sponsor pride at stake?

It’s not really fair to expect HAM to be quick, I don’t think an F1 driver has got inside 5 seconds of a competitive lap time since John Surtees.
    I think Rossi got quite close to being on the pace when he tested the Ferrari a few years ago?

It would have been fun to see what they could both do in both rides on the day though.

12. Lurk41 Dec 10, 2019

Apparently it was totally locked down by Monster. They are supposed to release a documentary about the swap.

When Schumacher tested Stoner's Ducati, it was told he was within 5s of the best lap time of the race that happened the day before.
    Hamilton was within 7s of the SBK drivers during his test last year, but did not have any technique. I guess he improved since

13. vbrad26 Dec 11, 2019

simonsays and MRC like this.
  14. simonsays Dec 11, 2019

Lewis looks a bit wooden on the bike. Getting dropped must be a novelty for him.

15. MRC Dec 12, 2019

16. simonsays Dec 12, 2019

The nice thing about bikes is you can see the skills of the rider and what they are doing with their bodies to influence the grip and lean angles.

Watching Lewis following Vale, comparing body position and how much of the track they are using it looks like there is a gulf to cross.

17. vbrad26 Dec 12, 2019

I can't believe I'm actually defending (in a sense) LH but I thought he looked pretty good out there.
    No, of course not as good as Rossi, but c'mon, that's not a fair comparison lol.
    However I don't know how much he actually rides...

18. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 7, 2020

19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 7, 2020

20. bigdubnick Apr 7, 2020

I had tix too - was planned to be a 40th birthday celebration for myself with my brother. Bummed it isn't happening though we could all see that coming for weeks...and you are very right about its over all importance in current times.
    Be well and we should plan to meet up at next years' :)