Forums Latest Members

For watch purchases, does it matter to you if you know someone who already owns the watch?

1. superi4n Aug 24, 2020

Just wondering if this plays into peoples' buying decisions. For example, my brother-in-law owns a Moonwatch and it made me think twice about picking up the same model he had. I also had a terrible manager in the past that wore a ceramic pre-2018 Diver 300m and hence I could never pull the trigger on that model.

thelinendial likes this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Aug 24, 2020

You couldn't buy a watch (which presumably you liked), because someone you didn't like, also owned that model?

Right. ::facepalm1::

noelekal, HikerTz, apsm100 and 9 others like this.
  3. 《007》 Aug 24, 2020

to me, it doesn't bother me as long as i love/want it and in nice condition.

4. superi4n Aug 24, 2020

I wouldn't say it was a deal killer but it didn't encourage me to go with that model

ConElPueblo, Gruesome and Stripey like this.
  5. speedygrail Aug 24, 2020

Archie owned a Polar Rolex 16570, doesn't mean I don't like it ;)

watch3s and rcs914 like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 24, 2020

7. Rodentman Aug 24, 2020

I don't give a Tinker's Cuss what anyone else owns.

maine-iac1, mz_cle and Dor_42 like this.
  8. Evitzee Aug 24, 2020

It actually spurred George Costanza to buy Jo(h)n Voight's Chrysler LeBaron convertible.

9. texasmade Aug 24, 2020

A few years ago I was going to buy a Rolex Hulk for myself. I went with my older brother to try it on along with a few other watches. He ended up buying it before I did so I never bought the Hulk. Instead I went with the AP RO 15400 because I didn't want to buy the exact same watch he already had.

sonicosa likes this.
  10. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 24, 2020

Always found the saying 'the exact same' a curious expression.

11. OmegaRody Aug 24, 2020

I understand what you mean. Feels a little akward obviously if you see that person regularly.

12. Dedalus05 Aug 24, 2020

If the watch was going to carry associations of my BIL or my Boss I think I might balk at the prospect as well. Or even if you think it might creep into your thoughts that your choice plays second fiddle to his tastes in some weird way. Any kind of negative association should give you pause.

What we like/don't like is often influenced by these factors. So I'd say your concerns are legitimate.

The "buy what you like" line that pervades OF is misguided sometimes I feel. I've seen someone say this of a fake. Like, really?

Gruesome and janice&fred like this.
  13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 24, 2020

Some people have way too much free time on their hands it seems.

14. sonicosa Aug 24, 2020

I completely understand not wanting to buy a watch that some clod you've known has owned. If I really, really liked the watch I don't think it would matter much for me, but the fact that someone I dislike owned it might color that watch's desirability for me.

Likewise - in terms of owning the same watch as a friend of family member, the first time I ever saw a Tudor BB, it was on one of my good friend's wrist. I really liked it, but I would have felt odd going out and buying the same watch right away. Now that a few years has passed, I don't think that would matter to me anymore, though.

apsm100 likes this.
  15. Meme-Dweller Aug 24, 2020

If that were a thing, no one would own a Rolex Submariner

16. gostang9 Aug 24, 2020

The only impact someone else buying a watch has on me is in that it gives me a better chance to see the watch on the wrist in more situations.

-- Might help me decide I like it more as when my BIL wears his Globemaster: I am more likely to buy one some day having seen his
    -- Might help me realize I don't like it as much as with colleague who has an IWC Portugieser: I will never buy one as it was not nearly as impressive in person

Buy and wear what you like, not based on who else likes it.

17. Canuck Aug 24, 2020

In the past, I have serviced a number of timepieces for friends, and liked them enough that I set out to acquire one of my own. Hamilton models 21 and 22 chronometers, Hamilton 950B, Accutron Sapceview, Waltham Vanguard 23-jewel with up/down indicator, Elgin 571 B W Raymond, Accutron 214 Railroader, to say nothing about clocks. Since servicing numerous Seth Thomas World railroad standard 15 and 30-day Worlds, I have acquired two of my own. No shame in admitting the other guy is on track with what he collects.

DaveK likes this.
  18. texasmade Aug 24, 2020

In my group of people I know, there are only 2 people that have a Rolex sub. One is my brother the other is a friend of a friend. Most people aren't really into watches and would rather wear a Fitbit, Garmin, or Apple watch.

19. Iceter Aug 24, 2020

It might not prevent me from buying what I wanted, but it would certainly cross my mind if I associated a watch (or car or other item) with someone for whom I had a great dislike.

OTOH, for people who think that way, I am sure I am the jerk who is making them think twice about some purchases.

sonicosa likes this.
  20. janice&fred Aug 24, 2020

The only thing preventing me from buying a watch that catches my eye is price.