Forums Latest Members

For those interested in Swedish military watches

1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 15, 2016

Here is an extract of a Swedish (top secret) military file.

[​IMG]

And some help with the language.

[​IMG]

Examples of markings

My "Viggen" which has been heavily sanded by someone to delete the individual number. They did not succeed as I can still see it under a loupe and at certain light angles, no 188.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used to own this one -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please feel free to add yours - of any kind - Swedish issued.

Edited Jan 15, 2016
    0uss, shishy, bardamu and 31 others like this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 15, 2016

Dibs! Oh, no, wait....:whistling:

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  3. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 15, 2016

Hahaha! I hope you do not mind?

Thru the years I have written down all the individual Viggen numbers that I have seen on the net and elswhere.

one "sub 9" (number withheld by tauntingly teasing marturx)
    055 (added by donkii)
    078 (added by donkii)
    138 (added by marturx)
    215 (added by marturx)
    297 (added by marturx)
    298 (added by marturx)
    FC 2 (translated to flygcentralen or försökscentralen - a test group)

Do you have a Viggen and would like to add your number - please do.

Edited Apr 6, 2016
    x3no, noelekal, Etp095 and 1 other person like this.
  4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 15, 2016

Quite beautiful ::love::, those Viggens :taunt:...

Now I want one, but... I'll be happy for now with my Tg 195, an artillery :thumbsup: timing watch used by the Swedish Army:

Photo Jan 15, 7 49 39 PM.jpg Photo Sep 17, 9 07 30 AM.jpg Photo Sep 18, 1 28 36 PM.jpg

Edited Jan 15, 2016
    citizenrich, axiale, ELV web and 14 others like this.
  5. nightowl Jan 15, 2016

Loving this (being Swedish and all)!

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 15, 2016

dougiedude likes this.
  7. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 15, 2016

I've long hoped to stumble across a Seiko 6105 with the three crowns on the caseback.
    Those large crowns on the Tg 195 look amazing. :thumbsup: :cool:

Etp095 likes this.
  8. marturx Jan 16, 2016

Great effort JE!

I feel that I have to contribute to your list, so here you go, some that has passed through my hands during the years:

No 252, which is on your list

SwAF 252.jpg

No 138, 297 and 298, since long gone from me. No 297 and 298 with scratched backs. A moran marked them this way, to prevent theft :confused:. I had 2 more of these, within the 290 range. I bought all 4 from a guy who had got them as part payment in a car deal..... They were unscratched when he got them, but then he scratched them to mark them. Must have been really drunk when he got that idea :taunt:

SwAF 138.jpg

SwAF 297.jpg

SwAF 298.jpg

No 215 in my possession

SwAF 215.jpg

Plus that I have one from the first batch, within the lowest 9, but I won´t reveal which one it is :D

9. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 16, 2016

Thanks marturx! I have added them to the list above.

I have saved your pics into my files - I have got pictures of most of the ones on the list and last known owner (mostly net nicks).

10. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 16, 2016

cicindela likes this.
  11. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 16, 2016

We had a conversation about the Tg 195 over at WRUW - and I move the info here, as it can be of interest on the subject.

"Yes I know - that disinformation has been flying around the world accompanying the model. 1/ - the sheer number (high) of watches of this model contradicts it. Sweden, up til just some years ago, had a compulsory military service and the guys using this watch thru the years were many. The Lemania "Viggen" chronograph was issued to the SWAF fighter pilots and the SWAF ordered circa 400 of those. The Tg 195 can or could be found in the thousands. I remember them for sale in surplus stores in the seventies/eighties here in Sweden - big boxes full. Year after year. 2/ - the benefits from synchronizing watches between members of a bomb squad/demolition team is not great. 3/ - the use of its complication in the artillery is cruicial - I would say many, many lives depended on it in war or training for war (many lives has been lost to friendly artillery fire during history). Last but not least - my family has been in the artillery both professionally and as conscripts for generations and they have used the Tg 195 - also in generations (not me though - I was the black sheep, choosing to train for actually seeing the enemy I was going to engage... Something I have teased my grandfather, father and two brothers for - hiding far away with their indirect fire). The Tg was also used in the infantery (probably mortar service) and there are examples of guys who say they themselves used it when in the armored forces. Guys trained as bomb squad members must have been very few. I have yet to meet a Swedish guy who have done service as a member of a bomb squad (and I have never heard of one either) - so to be absolutely truthful I do not know if they used it too... But it is an artillery watch."

I also add a rant I wrote in another post:

"Sometimes I see it is called a chronograph - which I believe is wrong also. It is a watch to easily syncronize time between users. Very handy in the artillery. Push the button and the watch stops, the seconds hand move to 12 - and at the same time the crown moves out to be ready to set the time. When the crown is pushed in - the watch starts again."

Edit - when thinking about it - of course you could use it as a chronograph also. If you push the button and instead of just syncronizing what the time is with your fellow artillerists you set the hour and minutes hands also to 12 - you can then record time as a chronograph. But that is not a complication as you can do that with any watch. Just hacking the seconds hand and set the other hands to 12 does not feel like a chronograph complication...

Here is a picture of a set with original instructions. I do not know where I have found this picture so I do not to whom we shall be grateful.

[​IMG]

Edited Jan 16, 2016
    JimJupiter, Foo2rama, quaker and 6 others like this.
  12. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 16, 2016

Not my watch and again I do not know where I found the pictures - saved them years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And another reference Seiko (not mine either):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nitzbar, quaker, cicindela and 2 others like this.
  13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 16, 2016

Edited Jan 16, 2016
    Emeister and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  14. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 16, 2016

How the h-ll did you track these posts down?

Edited Jan 16, 2016
    cicindela likes this.
  15. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 16, 2016

2008 sounds familiar re the 6105.
    Seems to have come as quite a surprise to many long term collectors at the time.
    I don't recall many popping up since but I haven't actively followed the Seiko forum in years.

I just have a hopeful look at eBay pictures every now and then but assume I'd have to be extremely lucky to catch a BIN auction early to have any chance of owning one.

16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jan 16, 2016

He he he, I may be a newbie here -- and a
    woman to boot -- but my interest in vintage watches started with military issued watches and I have pretty damn good sources :)

kkt, Bumper, nightowl and 1 other person like this.
  17. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 29, 2016

Been thinking about it. As we Scandinavians slowly and/but rightfully are taking over OF - the least one could expect is that all others start to learn proper Swedish/Danish/Norwegian.

We start today with the important word "Viggen". To most of you illiterates it is just a strange name for one of the most beautiful vintage watches there is. Some of you may know it derives from the fact that this watch was issued to the SAAB 37 Viggen fighter jet pilots.

SAAB 37 Viggen
    Pic stolen from the web
    [​IMG]

For a while the car manufacturer SAAB used the name Viggen for one of their models. Nothing to remember or show pics of.

More important is that long before the fighter jet and the car there was a bird named Vigg or depending on grammar - Viggen (Tufted duck - Aythya fuligula for you foreigners).

Stolen pic (again - I am a bad person)
    [​IMG]

And there is also the old word åskvigg or torsvigg (thunderbolt or Thors bolt/ax) - from ancient Scandinavian folklore. Very old stone axes found in the ground was thought to be the remains of lightning strikes.

Pics...You know by now...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So... lightning thrown by the god Thor in the form of an ax - a weapon and a bird. Pronounced exactly as it is written - Viggen (not oiggen as with a w).

Next lesson in Scandinavian will be Tg, Tidsgivare. Or it might be - blondiner - är det verkligen så att alla skandinaver är blonda?

smitty190373, noelekal, kkt and 7 others like this.
  18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 29, 2016

Demonstrates how inefficient and behind the times the USAF are, they need all manor of tools to service and maintain the F-22 Raptor, the Saab 37 Viggen just needs one tool for complete disassembly and servicing

[​IMG]

albertob, kkt, Northernman and 7 others like this.
  19. nightowl Jan 29, 2016

That's so beautiful I get tears in my eyes. ::love::

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 29, 2016

Perhaps, but with the full set we can make for fine tuned adjustments:thumbsup:

513314943.jpg

West Slope likes this.