Forums Latest Members

For the sighted or for the unsighted

1. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 22, 2017

Don't know much about the movement but I was interested in this watch today.
    Currently on holiday with the grandkids and this is displayed with a "new technology" exhibit at the Kennedy Center in D.C.
    P1020696.JPG

Apparently some type of magnetic, seemed interesting for sight impaired or low/no light conditions.

P1020700.JPG

2. alam Jul 22, 2017

That one eliminates all issues regarding the deterioration of lume on dial/hads. :)

watchknut and UncleBuck like this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 22, 2017

I wanted to get my hands on it but I couldn't bust open the case!
    I was wondering, that if you shook really hard, would the ball-bearings fly off?

Also, if driving or using your hands at night, what time is it?

4. alam Jul 22, 2017

keep right hand on the steering wheel, eyes on the road, bring left arm up and rub the thing against your forehead..

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 22, 2017

Oh man, you are in my backyard! I am just 4 miles down 395. Get a pizza next door to KC at Campono or go a bit upscale by having dinner at Kingbird at Watergate.

watchknut likes this.
  6. sxl2004 Jul 22, 2017

It is great.
    You can move the little magnetic balls an they always fall back to the actual time. Hours are inside, minutes on the periphery.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 23, 2017

I'd say the balls are in "C" channels so they can roll around but not pop out and must be small rare earth magnets to be able to bond so easily with the hour / minute magnet discs that obviously control them.

An interesting adaptation but will never replace the utility of a Speedmaster.

;)

(Had to get a Speedmaster reference in. Don't all posts here?

:D

8. Paedipod Jul 23, 2017

extremely cool concept....neat if you need the tech, I had one and and wore it for a bit....for me a little short-lived entertainment. Lots of positive comments however and I eventually sold to someone who gave it to a friend who had lost his sight. Answering @UncleBuck the balls are held captive in channels (can see a little better in this pic) and if you shake your arm a bit they do roll around a lot but eventually come back to rest at the right time where there are small magnets moving around in the case. IMG_2189.jpg

sxl2004 and UncleBuck like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 23, 2017

Two questions

Quartz or mechanical ::confused2::
    You wouldn't have to worry about the watch getting magnetised or would you ::confused2::

10. Paedipod Jul 23, 2017

quartz.....if I recall the case is titanium so no significant worries about getting seized up at the wrong time.

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 23, 2017

But the story behing the watch is even more interesting and inspirational.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Snyder_(swimmer)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eone/the-bradley-a-timepiece-designed-to-touch-and-see

Inspired by Bradley Snyder
    The Bradley is named after Lt. Brad Snyder.

Early on during ideation, we were introduced to a young man named Brad Snyder. Brad lost his sight completely from an IED explosion while serving in Afghanistan as a bomb defuser. Resolved to continue his active lifestyle, Brad competed in and won two gold and one silver medals in swimming at the 2012 Paralympics in London.

[​IMG]
    People like Brad have inspired the development of The Bradley. Brad Snyder breaks stereotypes and misconceptions towards blind people by taking his blindness in stride and not letting it stop him from accomplishing extraordinary things.

[​IMG]
    In this same way, Eone looks for opportunities to co-design products, such as The Bradley, which are inclusive to all users. By not taking for granted any of the things we use and need for everyday life, we hope to diminish everyday obstacles for impaired and under-represented users by creating.

We are proud to have Brad Snyder as the namesake and spokesman of The Bradley.

[​IMG]

UncleBuck, Giff2577 and Paedipod like this.
  12. Paedipod Jul 23, 2017

Yes....that's when I heard about this project and pitched in.

CdnWatchDoc likes this.
  13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 24, 2017

Thank you!
    We're heading out the door to Campono's, we'll give you a review and if you are close by, join us!

14. tyrantlizardrex Jul 24, 2017

Recorded episode 17 of the podcast this morning... Patrick brought along his Bradley Eone... captivatingly weird.

BradleyEONE.jpg

15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 24, 2017

I wish I could! I'm here at the office in Alexandria, getting ready to head home and greet my wife and 4-year-old, who are just returning from an overseas trip. Enjoy the pizza -- and get some gelato, too!

UncleBuck likes this.
  16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 24, 2017

Pizza was great, it's nice having friends all over the world!
    Too full for gelato, coffee is my fave. Next time, Brother!

17. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 24, 2017

Finally!
    A full-frontal picture of Jiminoz!

18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 24, 2017

All we are missing is the full Monty!

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 24, 2017

That man has too much hair to be me!

20. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 24, 2017

Found one on the WWW!
    imagesD4EVO1KQ.jpg