Forums Latest Members

FOIS leather strap 98000409 & buckle

1. Annapolis May 16, 2020

Quick, but very specific question: does anyone have a for-sure-authentic copy of this strap that they can share a pic of? In particular, I'm curious to see the underside of both the strap (with the p/n) and the underside of the buckle.

I have one on my AT that I really like: it's a quality strap, no doubt about it--good, supple leather and excellent stitching. And I'm pretty sure it's legit---the strap, at least, if not also the buckle. But it was an eBay purchase (from a seller who clearly knew his stuff about Omega and sounded like a true collector---maybe someone on OF, for all I know) and after getting taken for a ride on another strap recently (one that I'm now returning), I'm second-guessing myself a little.

I see some of the FOIS straps out there have light colored undersides and some, like mine, are darker. I'm not sure if that's a distinction that matters re: authenticity, though. I'm also curious about my buckle, which looks very good and crisp and clear, but only says "STAINLESS STEEL" in laser etching on the underside. Is that possibly oem? Or the sign of a repro?

Including pics, of course. If this is a counterfeit, then it's a damn good one, as it feels better than any other leather strap I've ever owned...

image2 (3).jpeg image1 (4).jpeg image0 (6).jpeg
    Eve likes this.
  2. Annapolis May 16, 2020

PS the warm light in my room (and my shortcut in not white-balancing) give the buckle a golden tinge, but it's natural, silver-colored stainless.

3. scapa May 16, 2020

Mine has the darker underside but my buckle has an Omega part number.

Annapolis likes this.
  4. Annapolis May 16, 2020

Starting to suspect that the strap is authentic but the buckle isn’t... But, then, I don’t know why that would be the case.

Anyone know if a real Omega buckle would ever be marked with just “STAINLESS STEEL”?

5. scapa May 16, 2020

Also, my buckle is signed differently (logo there but not in relief). Anyway here's a pic of the back:

FOIS buckle.jpg
    Annapolis likes this.
  6. vintage hab May 16, 2020

My recent FOIS has the same buckle as Scapa, and embossed Omega and part numbers on the inside of the leather strap.

Annapolis likes this.
  7. texasmade May 17, 2020

Mine is slightly different than Scapa’s. It says 11 JJD vs 11 GJC. 6A9FDDAB-62C0-42E5-A9F8-ABF52D403C40.jpeg

Annapolis likes this.
  8. texasmade May 17, 2020

My omega symbol looks slightly different than the one in your picture. image.jpg

Annapolis likes this.
  9. Annapolis May 17, 2020

Wondering if folks would agree that I’ve got an authentic strap with an aftermarket buckle—? I’ve combed through the amazing buckle sticky thread a few times but don’t see anything about the “STAINLESS STEEL” thing...

Could be an unanswerable question. And I’m happy with the strap/buckle. Would just want to know if possible in case I ever go to sell them. Wouldn’t want to mislead anyone.

10. Donn Chambers May 17, 2020

My FOIS strap buckle (purchased new from the Omega Boutique in Vienna) has the exact same buckle as yours — just “stainless steel” on the back and no part number. I am 100% confident mine is real.

Thus, here is one example that is a little different than those examples that have a part number. Why the difference? I can only guess — different parts suppliers, different lots, different times of production.

Because your strap/clasp combo looks exactly like mine, I have to believe it is real.

Annapolis likes this.
  11. texasmade May 17, 2020

Might be different production runs? My watch was purchased like 3-4 years ago with a production # in the 7800’s.

Annapolis likes this.
  12. zoohannover May 17, 2020

Edited May 17, 2020
    Annapolis likes this.
  13. pascs May 17, 2020

Mine also has just Stainless Steel and also the strap has a light beige back and not black, same part number though. Mine is a 2013 watch and numbered 2172

Annapolis likes this.
  14. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 17, 2020

Mine has no markings at all::stirthepot::.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Annapolis likes this.
  15. texasmade May 17, 2020

So on the straps, some have beige lining while others have black. Some black straps have black stitching while others have contrasting beige stitching.

Some buckles have a full part number with random letters at the end while others just say stainless steel. Great job Omega making all of these watches slightly unique!

Annapolis likes this.
  16. zoohannover May 17, 2020

That is for the collectors ;).

Annapolis likes this.
  17. Annapolis May 17, 2020

Yeah, they don’t like to make authenticating easy, though I suppose doing so might also make counterfeiting easy too. Thanks, all. I’m really getting genuine vibes from this strap—in fact it’s the strap that got me thinking it actually is worth springing for oem when it’s practical to do so—but the buckle was giving me pause, even though the logo and writing are superbly fine and clean. You’ve given me some peace of mind.

18. scapa May 17, 2020

Agree. My version in particular with the extra lettering on the buckle is clearly a still more faithful homage to the Wally S original, and thus set to command a premium value in future collectors’ markets. A sort of modern DON scenario.

Into the safe with you, my beauty, and soz to you plain buckle owners....

Annapolis and zoohannover like this.